Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

CX2 Remote Tow Release

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 11:06 PM
Truglodite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CX2 Remote Tow Release

I have been on a roll making tow/bomb releases for my arfs lately. Last week I added functional drop tanks to my alfa f-86 edf jet, now my cx2 has a functional "multi purpose" release. I used a slack line with a spring return, since a standard rod would bind given the cramped quarters inside the cx2 shell.

I used a hxt500 servo, "80" cf rod, kevlar thread wraps, spruce, 1/16th ply, a spring from a ballpoint pen, 25lb test fishing line, and a few bits from a Dubro micro control rod set. Any suitable materials can be substituted, but please note the spring must be "light" enough for the servo to compress it far as it needs to go. Mine has 3 positions that can be locked/released separately, and the rod clears all three; if the servo is too weak or the spring too strong, the servo could stall before the rod is fully retracted.

The servo obviously plugs in to the free ch5 port on the cx2's 4n1. To operate the release, rotate the ch5 knob CW to release the loads sequentially, or CCW to lock loads on to the heli. Be aware the servo is under stress while compressing the spring. To prevent premature servo failure it is best to return the servo to the full lock position (CCW) immediately after dropping each load . If you forget to do this, you'll likely be reminded after you land and the rotors stop, by the loud buzzing sound coming from the release servo!

Enjoy!
Kev

[edit: I almost forgot the most important detail. The latches for the loads are placed directly under the rotor shaft so trim is the same after the release.]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44822.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	1170363   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62802.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	1170364   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47182.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	1170365   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84113.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	1170366   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15869.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	1170367  
Old 03-31-2009, 11:16 PM
J-MICHAEL

Default RE: CX2 Remote Tow Release

Myself and others have been having the same problems today with RCU's pic uploader. My pics I download are 1200 by 900 and I have to do one at a time at then they will work. I just posted 4 pics this way 5 minutes ago. Normally I could always do more, but I believe RCU is doing maintenance on the weekends on upgrading the site some more.

Test picture below... (Yeah I wish they were mine...LMAO...) [8D]

Cheers,

~ Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87607.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	1170373  
Old 03-31-2009, 11:39 PM
Truglodite

Thanks Jeff, you helped me get it fixed!

Cheers,
Kev
Old 03-31-2009, 11:58 PM
JPEE

Jeff, me too. I ahve been tryong load some pics all after noon and you sit there and then you get their FAIL sign. I just reduced my HD pics from ex:7 mb to med quality about 1.5 and the took and were posted. But I did have to do it one at a time.

JP
Old 04-01-2009, 12:00 AM
J-MICHAEL

Kev ~

No prob... WOW that's pretty cool ! That's what I love about this hobby is it lets you use your imagination to the fullest... Glad the pics worked out for ya. Keep up the good work ! Maybe some video later by chance ? [8D]

Cheers,

~ Jeff
Old 04-01-2009, 12:14 AM
Truglodite

Thanks Jeff, video is due shortly... I just have to figure out a realistic payload and mission to capture. I found out quickly the cx2 doesn't have much lifting power to spare. Perhaps a 3s setup might be in order.

Kev
Old 04-02-2009, 04:46 PM
Mack66

Well, maybe you could lift and carry a beer coaster to the cocktail table. That would be cool. Of course delivering a beer might be better. Heh. Thanks for sharing. First time this newbie has heard of anyone using Channel 5 on the CX2!

Mack