Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

MSR Going back and forth?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

MSR Going back and forth?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 03:01 PM
MuggyDude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSR Going back and forth?

My MSR has a proble. When in a hover with no other input besides throttle it will rovk back and forth or side to side. i can't fix it with trim because it will sway forward and then back. What could be my problem?
Old 10-04-2009, 03:13 PM
kruser495

Default RE: MSR Going back and forth?

i have told you before. this is the toilet bowl effect. your blade grips are either too tight or you have an unlevel swashplate. use the tool they included and it will fix your problem. search youtube on how to use it.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:41 PM
J-MICHAEL

My MSR has a proble. When in a hover with no other input besides throttle it will rovk back and forth or side to side. i can't fix it with trim because it will sway forward and then back. What could be my problem?

Muggy ~

Kruser listed a couple things that can attribute to the toilet bowl effect that your having. Most likely the blades to tight in there grips more than the swash being unlevel.

Has the mSR been wrecked just recently and have you added any new parts to the bird by chance ?

A few things to check is to make sure your flybar links have no friction on them. Sometimes with these cheaper RTF heli's there will be some "flashing" there, or a "ring" of plastic around the ball. Make sure those ball-links move freely... Use a knife or sandpaper to remove that flashing. Any resistance in the flybar linkage will cause TBE.

Also check that there is no binding of the flybar inside the center mount of the hub. Check to make sure your flybar is not bent, that is a common issue also with TBE... A bent shaft also will cause your problems, so make sure that is good to go among that. You can take your main blades off and check to make sure your shaft is still true.

These heli's whether large or small are delicate fabrications, and require everything to work together smooth and free to have a nice flying chopper... Check these things, and see where your at. If the problem is still there than there could be some other things that you can check. Check these first...

Hope this helps,

~ Jeff

Old 10-04-2009, 03:52 PM
dunkonu23

+1 with Jeff and Kruser. I'll add something. After many flights, the mSR's flybar wears against the main shaft. You can tell if this is happening by looking at the shaft were the flybar meets. If there is some whiteness around that point, you may have wear. Another thing: The center section of the swashplate(where the links from the flybar attach) tends to separate from the lower portion. If that happens, the helicopter becomes very difficult to control. Two ways to fix that and one isrelated the Jeff and Kruser's posts:

1. Usethe calibration tool (the red u-shaped plastic thing) to recenter the swashplate.
2. If the inner portion of the swashplate is not level with the bottom portion, you can either use the calibration tool to squeeze it back in (fingers work, too), or you can disassemble the head and swashplate then apply a TINYamount of CA to mating surfaces of the upper portion of the swashplate. I say TINYamount of CA because you don't want to get it in the bearing.

Scott
Old 10-04-2009, 04:11 PM
J-MICHAEL

Scott ~

Does this mean I need to get one ?? ! Dang it ! I knew this was going to happen.....!!!
Old 10-04-2009, 04:34 PM
kruser495

ORIGINAL: J-MICHAEL

Scott ~

Does this mean I need to get one ?? ! Dang it ! I knew this was going to happen.....!!!
get one.... NOW! i love this thing. handles great in wind. i was flying it today in 13-17 mph winds. it was hard but it can be done. lol
Old 10-04-2009, 05:33 PM
fusebmx13

yea, also check your swashplate holder in the back. It sometimes comes out in a crash and the heli does what it wants haha.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:07 PM
dunkonu23

Jeff,

Yes, it does mean to get one! NOW! Do not delay... operators are standing by!

Scott
Old 10-05-2009, 08:10 AM
monsterbrad

Mine is on the way with 4 extra batteries
Can't wait to compare this to my MCX
Old 10-05-2009, 12:17 PM
MuggyDude

There is some whiteness on the shaft, I'll try replacing the flybar, blades, and main shaft. i use the red tool all the time though.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:52 PM
kruser495

ORIGINAL: MuggyDude

There is some whiteness on the shaft, I'll try replacing the flybar, blades, and main shaft. i use the red tool all the time though.
the main shaft is fine. it is carbon fiber. you must not be using the tool right, apply alot of pressure and look how to use it on youtube.. the way to solve the flybar issue is while having the heli upright, grab both flybar paddles and push down evenly. it will look like you are bending the flybar down, dont worry it will not hurt it. this will make it so the flybar will move freely. mine has whiteness too. it is all normal what you are explaining. do not bother replacing any of those things. unless the blades are broken, there fine. loosen the blade grips. the flybar is plastic and does not bend easily from a crash. trust me. i have had exactly what you are having and can fix it in seconds. every time you crash you have to use the red tool. it is normal to have tbe after every crash. follow these steps and you will be good to go.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:31 PM
dunkonu23

Sorry Kruser, I'm going to have to disagree. While some whiteness is normal, it is also an indication of wear on the inside collar of the flybar and it's because it's carbon fiber. After about 50 flights with one flybar, I pulled mine because of TBE and the hole was clearly out of round. The only way that can happen deals with friction on the main shaft and the abrasiveness of the carbon fiber on the plastic collar. Next time I replace a flybar, I'm going to put some very, very thin clear lacquer on the mating point and see how that goes.

Scott
Old 10-05-2009, 11:44 PM
J-MICHAEL

Sorry Kruser, I'm going to have to disagree. While some whiteness is normal, it is also an indication of wear on the inside collar of the flybar and it's because it's carbon fiber. After about 50 flights with one flybar, I pulled mine because of TBE and the hole was clearly out of round. The only way that can happen deals with friction on the main shaft and the abrasiveness of the carbon fiber on the plastic collar. Next time I replace a flybar, I'm going to put some very, very thin clear lacquer on the mating point and see how that goes.

Scott

+1..... Carbon Fiber is nice, but its certainly not "indestructable" and has its cons among that....
Old 10-05-2009, 11:57 PM
kruser495

ORIGINAL: dunkonu23

Scott

no, mine has alot of whiteness. this is normal. eflight would have taken this into consideration too. you simply push down on the flybar. carbon fiber is alot stronger than the soft plastic used in the flybar. the flybar simply has to move up and down freely. it should not matter at all. and considering his is fairly new. mine has well over 100 flights and many crashes using the same flybar. they do not bend easily. i would have tbe after every crash. you just have to use the tool properly, loosen blade grips and make sure the flybar moves freely. all i am saying is the main shaft is not the problem. there are very few things that can cause tbe on the msr.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:03 AM
kruser495

Scott

plus the flybar is moving with the main shaft so there wont be any significant amount of wear in that short period of time.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:56 PM
monsterbrad

OK got mine and I have to say it is very different then flying the MCX
I like it alot but the top peice that holds the blades broke the second crash.
I have that all glued up and its holding fine.
I see what you mean about a crash and the re calibration every time it is necessary to do that or the thing wanders all over the place and is hard to fly.
Anybody making an aluminum holder for the blades yet?
Old 10-08-2009, 09:18 AM
dunkonu23

Kruser, the whiteness is plastic from the inside collar of the flybarit's not hard plastic at all. It is wearing. Of course our experiences are going to be different, but Ihave had a flybar wear out the collar and while the carbon fiber was not worn at all, the whiteness just wiped right off... it's back on the flybar that I have in there now. While it's not worn out yet, it is wearing. I would have hoped that E-flite would have taken that into consideration, but there's only one way the hole can become out of round and that's from rubbing on the main shaft. In the end, it's all good because people probably break the flybar before it wears out.

Scott

PS. The moral is: Don't let holes wear out: convinceher to kegel.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:26 PM
monsterbrad

I broke the top blade holder in about 10 minutes
I can't believe that they don't give you spares of those
Old 10-08-2009, 01:04 PM
kruser495

Kruser, the whiteness is plastic from the inside collar of the flybarit's not hard plastic at all. It is wearing. Of course our experiences are going to be different, but I have had a flybar wear out the collar and while the carbon fiber was not worn at all, the whiteness just wiped right off... it's back on the flybar that I have in there now. While it's not worn out yet, it is wearing. I would have hoped that E-flite would have taken that into consideration, but there's only one way the hole can become out of round and that's from rubbing on the main shaft. In the end, it's all good because people probably break the flybar before it wears out.

Scott

PS. The moral is: Don't let holes wear out: convince her to kegel. [img][/img]

while it may have wore out, the flybar still moves with the main shaft so the "out of roundness" will not cause any tbe.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:43 PM
HarleyDave

while it may have wore out, the flybar still moves with the main shaft so the "out of roundness" will not cause any tbe.

Blade MCX - CX2 - mSR

As usual from your answers I see browsing this forum, your wrong again. The flybar does MUCH more than just having a good ol' time and swinging around with the main shaft. You need to understand and do some more research about how the flybar works and what causes can become of it from it being to tight, to loose, damaged, bent, etc. etc. before you just start making guesses.

My advice to you, is to go over to Helifreak and learn some stuff with the big boys. The knowledge there will help guide you on your learning journey. Below are some examples of why TBE can become of a flybar that wears out especially in that center hole region :

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=165968

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=165929

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=164410

Let me know what you learn. and then report back with the correct answer.

Dave
Old 10-08-2009, 04:00 PM
kruser495

ORIGINAL: HarleyDave

while it may have wore out, the flybar still moves with the main shaft so the ''out of roundness'' will not cause any tbe.

Blade MCX - CX2 - mSR

As usual from your answers I see browsing this forum, your wrong again. The flybar does MUCH more than just having a good ol' time and swinging around with the main shaft. You need to understand and do some more research about how the flybar works and what causes can become of it from it being to tight, to loose, damaged, bent, etc. etc. before you just start making guesses.

My advice to you, is to go over to Helifreak and learn some stuff with the big boys. The knowledge there will help guide you on your learning journey. Below are some examples of why TBE can become of a flybar that wears out especially in that center hole region :

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=165968

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=165929

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=164410

Let me know what you learn. and then report back with the correct answer.

Dave

first of all i am not making guesses. i had exactly the same problems he is experiencing. the flybar has to be straight, and be able to move freely up and down. if it is bent or does not move freely it will cause tbe. tbe is completely normal for the msr after every crash. why do you think eflight included a swash tool and extra flybar.the swash tool is ment to be used after every crash no matter how minor. while having a non rounded hole in the flybar may contribute to having SOME tbe, that is usually not the main cause. he needs to use the tool properly, loosen blade grips, check flybar for tightness and if it is straight. my advice to you is know what your talking about and actually read the whole post before making false accusations.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:57 AM
dunkonu23

Idon't agree. I have experience that proves otherwise to me, bro. It's a problem with slopthe design has a lot of slop in it and more or less (less is why they have the swash tool) will affect the delicate balance they've achieved. While it's an incredibly durable helicopter, it's also very sensitive to minute changes in slop. Get that, changes in slop... I never thought slop would be a good thing!

Scott
Old 10-10-2009, 08:15 AM
dunkonu23

Kruser,

Imeant no offense, bro. My apologies.

Scott
Old 10-10-2009, 01:02 PM
kruser495

Kruser,

I meant no offense, bro. My apologies.

Scott

its cool. i have seen some out of roundness too on my flybar now as i look at it. i would always be able to get rid of most of the tbe from using the tool but there is still a little bit of it. i might try replacing my flybar and seee if it works. i might also try using ca glue to coat the hole so that it sort of hardens and protects it.