Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Just Bought blade 400

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 10:07 PM
kyle 9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Bought blade 400

Well after all that decideing i got a blade 400. havent flown it yet but i sure looks great next to my MSR the battery it came with was a dud, soo im going back tomorrow to get another one, maybe they will throw in something extra

I checked it over and everything looks great and is tight, any tips yous want to give me? im going to build some training gear also with wooden dowels and 4 ping pong balls, but i dont know how big it should be?
Old 07-02-2010, 10:15 PM
gi1mo2

Default RE: Just Bought blade 400

Congratulations. Good choice. You should have the ping pong balls go just a bit over the main blade reach.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:33 PM
rotarydoc

kyle9,

Congrats on the new Blade 400, it will be quite a step up from the MSR...

I agree with gi1mo2, the dowels and balls should extend just past the main blades.

I attached pics of the ones I made, which were actually a bit shy of the rotor blades...but still got the job done.

Good luck with it, and let us know how you make out...

Glenn

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36347.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	1462269   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40122.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1462270   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79130.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1462271   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dw65456.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	1462272   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mx23448.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	1462273  
Old 07-02-2010, 11:35 PM
kyle 9

i have to more questions..
1. What are dual rates and should i keep the dual rates on the DX6i on 0 or 1?
2. Is the HorizonRC.com Tamed down blade 400 settings be good or are there any better tamed down settings the link is below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBXxAnSZWuc

Thanks
Old 07-02-2010, 11:48 PM
rotarydoc

kyle,

The dual rates are so that you can set two different expo settings, so that you could have 2 separate feeling settings.....for now, I would just leave them at the zero settings, and use about 15-18% expo on the aileron and elevator to start with...no sense getting too many switches going when you are just learning the new heli...just my 2 cents....you can add or subtract expo to your liking, but 15% seems like a good starting point for most people.

Expo, BTW is an adjustment that basically softens the controls on the cyclic stick around the center point..makes sort of a dead zone so to speak so the controls aren't so touchy....

I have heard good things about the Horizon setup for new B400 owners...I never tried it, by the time that video came out, I was already comfortable with the stock settings.

The stock settings are actually quite aggressive, and tend to intimidate the new B400 pilot, to be honest...so you may very well do well to try the Horizon settings....the beautiful thing about computer radios, is that you can just put it back...

Another tip....make a new model (I think they tell you this...) to put the new Horizon settings in...then you can try that, and compare with the stock settings if you want...and you can leave your default stock settings alone in their current model position....

Good luck, and take your time!

Glenn
Old 07-03-2010, 12:00 AM
kyle 9

ORIGINAL: rotarydoc

kyle,

The dual rates are so that you can set two different expo settings, so that you could have 2 separate feeling settings.....for now, I would just leave them at the zero settings, and use about 15-18% expo on the aileron and elevator to start with...no sense getting too many switches going when you are just learning the new heli...just my 2 cents....you can add or subtract expo to your liking, but 15% seems like a good starting point for most people.

Expo, BTW is an adjustment that basically softens the controls on the cyclic stick around the center point..makes sort of a dead zone so to speak so the controls aren't so touchy....

I have heard good things about the Horizon setup for new B400 owners...I never tried it, by the time that video came out, I was already comfortable with the stock settings.

The stock settings are actually quite aggressive, and tend to intimidate the new B400 pilot, to be honest...so you may very well do well to try the Horizon settings....the beautiful thing about computer radios, is that you can just put it back...

Another tip....make a new model (I think they tell you this...) to put the new Horizon settings in...then you can try that, and compare with the stock settings if you want...and you can leave your default stock settings alone in their current model position....

Good luck, and take your time!

Glenn
Alright thank you very much! i wasnt sure if i needed to touch the dual rates for something, but i have no problem leaving them on 0
and yes they tell me that, i am going to follow it extremely close tomorrow so i dont mess up the settings like some people who have got bad results from the horizon settings
Old 07-03-2010, 12:05 AM
rotarydoc

kyle,

You are welcome.

Good luck tomorrow, I hope the hobby shop takes care of that battery for you.

Let us know how you do!

Glenn
Old 07-03-2010, 12:31 AM
kyle 9

last question to clear up before tomorrow and getting started. This will probably make me sound like the biggest noob and that i should probably be returning the 400 , but on the dx6i transmitter i can tilt the antenna up or keep it straight out and spin it around. What is the purpose of this? does it give a better connection pointing a certain way? thanks
Old 07-03-2010, 12:50 AM
quickdraw

Kyle

Try these settings. I found them on a site. They helped a bunch. Plus I got 12 minute fight times too. I am like you. I went from MSR to the 400. I set the 400 to Horizon's setting the first night and hovered it. It seemed I could hover it better out of ground effect like 3 feet to eye level distance in height. I use these setting below and call it EASY 400 on my radio and use the F. Mode and the Dr switches to set it to the Horizon easy setting when I want also. Makes it nice. Still hovering tail in and not much room to try nose in safely in my shop area. I take it to the field and try it there because of more room. But way more responsive than the MSR so keep that in mind on it.

Here is the settings:

DX6i Throttle Curve
I've decided to use F-mode for all my custom settings. This way, I can test how my settings compare against the default factory normal mode settings. Later, when I start doing 3D flying, I might swap them over completely.

I use a linear curve from 0 to 60%.

That is:
Position L = 0%
Position 2 = 15%
Position 3 = 30%
Position 4 = 45%
Position H = 60%

The rationale is that the slower the head speed, the less power it will consume. Now, I've read in the forums that the motor runs most efficiently at 80% throttle. But I found this not to be the case on mine. I tried running a linear curve to 100% and 80%. Both gave me less flying time. I also tried running lower at 50%. But that barely got it off the ground. And it looked like the motor was being burdened too much by the pitch.

With the 60% linear curve, it will allow you to hover at 1 line above mid-stick. Which I think is the ideal position in preparation for 3D flying.

DX6i Pitch Curve
I got the idea from one of the forums. But I added my own little adjustments. I am using the following settings:
Position L = 35%
Position 2 = 55%
Position 3 = 70%
Position 4 = 85%
Position H = 100%

The almost exponential-looking curve for 2,3,4,H, give you a very forgiving throttle/pitch response around mid-stick. With these values, you're sure the heli won't jump up or drop down even if you over-correct slightly. The lower Position L is my own addition. It gives you the negative pitch you need when you want to get the heli quickly to the ground. I didn't originally have this setting but found that during "emergencies" the heli just won't go down quick enough. With this, you still have good panic response. =)

DX6i Dual Rates and Expo
Again, I use F-mode for my custom settings. So, remember to turn on the switches when you program these in:
AILE 100% +10%
ELEV 100% +10%
RUDD 100% INH

The +10% expo makes the cyclics a bit more forgiving around the neutral position. At first, I didn't like these settings. Because the response felt delayed. I even tried negative expo. However, I found myself over-controlling too much. The heli didn't fly very nicely. With these settings it makes the heli fly like I'm in control. =)

Well that's about it. Use the settings above, and you should get anything between 12 and 16 minutes of flying time. Remember to only use these indoor or outside on a windless day. Otherwise, the heli will just be too underpowered to be controllable in the wind.

Old 07-03-2010, 01:17 AM
rotarydoc

kyle,

Not a noob question at all on the antenna...we were having a conversation about that just last week at the heli club I belong to...

I always thought it was for storage reasons....but one guy said he read that when it is folded over to the 90 degree left or right position, this helps with radio contact with the receiver....now I don't know if this is fact or fiction...

One thing is for sure...the DSM2 in the DX6i and the AR6100 are excellent, and you will never have a problem of getting out of range...you won't be able to see the heli anymore before that happens!

I have never had a single glitch, or radio cut out issue ever with my DX6i's...and I never paid attention to where the antenna was pointed...

One less thing to worry about tomorrow!

Glenn
Old 07-03-2010, 01:27 AM
kyle 9

kyle,

Not a noob question at all on the antenna...we were having a conversation about that just last week at the heli club I belong to...

I always thought it was for storage reasons....but one guy said he read that when it is folded over to the 90 degree left or right position, this helps with radio contact with the receiver....now I don't know if this is fact or fiction...

One thing is for sure...the DSM2 in the DX6i and the AR6100 are excellent, and you will never have a problem of getting out of range...you won't be able to see the heli anymore before that happens!

I have never had a single glitch, or radio cut out issue ever with my DX6i's...and I never paid attention to where the antenna was pointed...

One less thing to worry about tomorrow!

Glenn
okay great thank your very much! ill try straight out and also at 90, but yea i dont think i will be going that far with my heli... i hope :P but thanks i will let u know tomorrow how everything goes.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:49 AM
rotarydoc

Kyle,

Sounds good....let's hope you don't get the heli too far away on the first try!

Do you have a neckstrap? It's a really good idea....when you get the funds...

I was talking to a friend at the field last weekend, he told us a story about a guy who DROPPED his transmitter while flying his heli, and didn't have a neckstrap..[X(]

He got really lucky, and the radio landed sticks up...and he grabbed it in time to save the heli from disaster...

Not to mention, once you get comfortable using a neckstrap, and the support for the radio it gives, you'll never fly without it!!

Good luck tomorrow!

Glenn
Old 07-03-2010, 08:29 AM
gi1mo2

I too have heard that the antena is directional and depending how high you fly you might want it up 90d. I normally (out of habit only) have mine at 45d. And I forgot my strap yesterday, and flew 2 batteries only while being a little more nervous than normal. I lost my security strap (blanket?)

Gilles
Old 07-03-2010, 04:55 PM
kyle 9

Kyle,

Sounds good....let's hope you don't get the heli too far away on the first try!

Do you have a neckstrap? It's a really good idea....when you get the funds...

I was talking to a friend at the field last weekend, he told us a story about a guy who DROPPED his transmitter while flying his heli, and didn't have a neckstrap..[X(]

He got really lucky, and the radio landed sticks up...and he grabbed it in time to save the heli from disaster...

Not to mention, once you get comfortable using a neckstrap, and the support for the radio it gives, you'll never fly without it!!

Good luck tomorrow!

Glenn
yea i just used a landyard it worked perfectly. i am really happy i used it. i thought i would use it for the looks and make me look good when i crash :P, but im glad i did cause when i was done flying my hands were shaking a bit
Old 07-03-2010, 05:06 PM
kyle 9

Well thanks for all the help. me and my dad made training gear. It was about an inch or so longer then the blades with those little plastice wiffle golf balls and 3/8 hard wooden dowels. It worked good.

i flew today for the first time and it was in 20 km/h winds with 31 km/h gusts... Not to bad i guess

And i went today to ask about the battery but it was fine, it was the power supply i was using so i ordered eflites recommended one should be in next weekend. so im dont flying till next weekend. They were nice enough to chrage mine now so i could atleast fly it once. the stupid power supply should have been in the box and not optional[:@]
Old 07-03-2010, 05:33 PM
choppersrule

Kyle,

Congrats on your purchase, and sounds like you had a pretty good first flight. With the wind and all I'd say you did great. Just take your time and be patient.

Dave
ORIGINAL: kyle 9

Well thanks for all the help. me and my dad made training gear. It was about an inch or so longer then the blades with those little plastice wiffle golf balls and 3/8 hard wooden dowels. It worked good.

i flew today for the first time and it was in 20 km/h winds with 31 km/h gusts... Not to bad i guess

And i went today to ask about the battery but it was fine, it was the power supply i was using so i ordered eflites recommended one should be in next weekend. so im dont flying till next weekend. They were nice enough to chrage mine now so i could atleast fly it once. the stupid power supply should have been in the box and not optional[:@]
Old 07-03-2010, 05:40 PM
choppersrule

Hi Guys,

I've read the tread and saw that there was a question on where the antenna on the transmitter should be pointing. Quick and easy, the best position is to swivel your antenna for it to point up vertically to the sky. It's in the design of all antennas.

Glenn, remember the good old days, they always said, never point your antenna at the plane/heli.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58699.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	1462564   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14719.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	1462565  
Attached Images  
Old 07-03-2010, 09:12 PM
rotarydoc

Hey Kyle,

Congrats on your first sucessful flight, and your training gear construction...well done!

Sorry about your power supply...I have that Eflite 3 amp power supply, and it works well....you should be good to go when you get that....

I guess Efite has to cut some corners to keep the cost resonable on the Blade 400 RTF kit....so they don't include the power supply...

So how did you like the first flight with the B400? Sounds like you did real well, especially considering the winds!

Sorry you can't fly till next weekend...but at least you got one flight in, so the major suspense of how it will be is mostly over...

Dave,

That antenna theory sounds good to me....I've never really paid much attention...lol...

Glenn
Old 07-03-2010, 09:23 PM
kyle 9

Hey Kyle,

Congrats on your first sucessful flight, and your training gear construction...well done!

Sorry about your power supply...I have that Eflite 3 amp power supply, and it works well....you should be good to go when you get that....

I guess Efite has to cut some corners to keep the cost resonable on the Blade 400 RTF kit....so they don't include the power supply...

So how did you like the first flight with the B400? Sounds like you did real well, especially considering the winds!

Sorry you can't fly till next weekend...but at least you got one flight in, so the major suspense of how it will be is mostly over...

Dave,

That antenna theory sounds good to me....I've never really paid much attention...lol...

Glenn
thank you and yea i guess soo.... but yea i loved it.. i was great, pretty intimidating once i got those blades spinning, and powered up when i took off i felt the power, my hands were shaking a little and my stomach had alot of butterflies in them. i was dissappointed i had to land when the battery died but at the same time it was relieving . i cant wait to fly it again. im glad i bought this over the blade SR and overall i went great i was scared to fly it in the wind, but i couldnt wait to get it in the air.

i did end up using the horizonRC settings and it worked out perfectly
Old 07-03-2010, 10:06 PM
rotarydoc

Kyle,

Very well put! I think we all know the feeling...the shaky hands, the butterflys....all normal!!!! And yeah, it's kind of a relief when the battery finally dies...lol..

As you get more flights in, the shaky hands, the butterflys will start to fade...and then as you get better, and accomplish small goals, like being able to hold a hover in one place for a while...the feeling of accomplishment is tremendous...

Flying an RC Helicopter is no small feat....I've talked to a real heli pilot, and he said that RC helis are much harder than the real thing..[X(] A lot less at stake of course...but still...that's saying alot!

The great thing about this hobby is that no matter how good you get, there is always a next level....always a challenge.

Enjoy....soon you will be addicted, like all the rest of us on here!!

Glenn
Old 07-03-2010, 11:58 PM
Solman

One of the first things I would suggest is get a better gyro. The stock gyro sucks big time. You will probably be going thru blades so I would suggest you going on Ebay and buying some cheap blades. You can get carbon fiber blades cheap. You can get fiberglass blades cheaper, but I've had problems balancing them in the past. Another suggestion is get yourself a blade balancer. it is a must have when you buy new blades.
blade balancer
http://cgi.ebay.com/Blade-rotor-balancer-Align-Trex-T-rex-450-500-325-/160450613237?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Radio_Control_Parts_A ccessories&hash=item255b9a0ff5
I use these blades and like them.
http://cgi.ebay.com/6-x-325mm-CARBON-fiber-Rotor-Main-Blade-Trex-450-BW-/400133240637?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Radio_Control_Parts_A ccessories&hash=item5d29ccb73d#ht_3324wt_819
Old 07-05-2010, 01:23 AM
quickdraw

Just use a 12 volt battery for the charger. I was bummed out too when I got home with it and seen 12 volt alligator clips for the charger. This did not stop me though. I went out to the shop and grabbed a 12 volt car battery and charged it. If you want to fly again sooner than waiting. Just charge off of the car battery. The more you fly the better you will get. I flew mine Saturday and it got windy. Flew it anyway. Made you have to work the sticks more and get comfortable with it. I am glad I went with the 400 after the MSR. Loving it too. I put the Align 325 blades on it and man what a difference over the stockers. I had already ordered 2 more sets of stockers, but after trying the Align ones. I ordered 4 more sets. Dream to fly with the Align ones. Stockers will just sit on the shelf now.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:22 AM
Solman

That is what I do with the blades that I don't like. They sit on the shelf unless I really need them.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:37 PM
kyle 9

ORIGINAL: quickdraw

Just use a 12 volt battery for the charger. I was bummed out too when I got home with it and seen 12 volt alligator clips for the charger. This did not stop me though. I went out to the shop and grabbed a 12 volt car battery and charged it. If you want to fly again sooner than waiting. Just charge off of the car battery. The more you fly the better you will get. I flew mine Saturday and it got windy. Flew it anyway. Made you have to work the sticks more and get comfortable with it. I am glad I went with the 400 after the MSR. Loving it too. I put the Align 325 blades on it and man what a difference over the stockers. I had already ordered 2 more sets of stockers, but after trying the Align ones. I ordered 4 more sets. Dream to fly with the Align ones. Stockers will just sit on the shelf now.
do you have to make any adjustments with the align 3235 blade, because im pretty sure they have them at my lhs?
Old 07-08-2010, 11:09 PM
rotarydoc

Hey Kyle,

I never tried the Align 325's on my Blade 400's when I had them....

I agree, for the same price, I like the Align blades alot better...

But, I still have some B400 blades, and some new Align 325's...so I measured them...

The Align blades are a bit thinner at the root (the part that goes in the blade grips/holders), so you may have to shim them a bit...

The B400 blade is about 6.4 mm thick....and the Align 325's are about 4.8mm.

So for a correct fit, you would probably do best to get or make some shims. I had a hard time finding blade shims, so I made my own for some CF blades I had...

You can make them out of an old plastic credit card or the like...using a hole punch, then drill a small hole in the middle.

See what quickdraw or the others did, but that should help answer your question in the meantime....

Is your charger going to be in for the weekend?

Have fun with the new heli...

Glenn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.