Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Wattage Tangent

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 12:47 AM
dlipton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wattage Tangent

This is a GREAT airplane. I used to be a pattern flier, flyign .60 size tuned pipe beasts back in the early 90s. Then I got out of the hobby. after 8 years, i got the itch again, but was looking for something like a pattern ship I could fly at the local park. I found the tangent, dug up my old JR PCM-10, and built this thing over the course of a year. Not actually that hard of a kit, i'm just a slow builder. With the stock motor and 720 mAh NiMH batteries, it flew like a nice sport ship for about 5 minutes, but not lik a pattern ship - no vertical and only small loops.

I upgraded to a Himax 2015/5400 with a GWS 4.4:1 gearbox, 3-cell 1320 mAh LiPo, APC 7x4 prop.
This thing flies almost like my old Conquest VI with a YS .61 and tuned pipe (though gets bumped around by the wind more). Enough power for big loops, cuban eights, stall turns, etc... Would be competitive on a calm day in the old AMA style novice and sportsman class, maybe advanced. A little more power might get it to do FAI sequences in the hands of a better pilot than me. But anyway, if you are looking for a small F3A electric, I can surely recommend this one, with this power set-up.

I'm curious if anybody else has flown this plane, nobody has ever heard of it when I ask around. Also, do people know of other similar type planes. I am eager for my next electric pattern ship. Maybe one just a tad bigger.
Old 10-09-2004, 02:53 AM
slacsteve
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Wattage Tangent

GWS Formosa was recommended to me as better than the Tangent. Its only $46. I use the 5400 geared A (3.7?) on 2 cells, 3 would be hot. It does it all too.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:29 PM
Dareh

i got the tangent a couple of months ago, it was on sale for 30 dollars and i can say thats the best 30 dollar ive ever paid... i didnt put a brushless because of my limited boudget, but i changed the gearbox with the one on live wire (1:4.78) with a 10-8 prp and 2 cell1320tp , well i flew it for 18 minutes with enough power to big loops and knife edge,... well i still have it in my room and not only i like it, i enjoy watching it.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:25 PM
Mike Ledbetter

I have owned two of these. You happened to have performed the upgrade (prop + gearbox) that makes this plane flyable. Out of the box, it seems underpowered at slower speeds.

Regards,

Ledbetter