Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Great Planes SUPER SPORTSTER EP

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 10:51 AM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes SUPER SPORTSTER EP

ORIGINAL: Country_Flyer

Quick question..

I appologize if this gets asked alot, but suppose I decide to use a 11.1V 2250mAh 25C Li-Po pack, instead of the stock/heavier battery.. What kind of performance increase are we talking about due to lighter weight and higher voltage... and also... do I need to downsize on my prop size and/or pitch? I don't want to over-amp the motor.. but im sure the performance increase is worth it.. I know it sure makes a big difference on my supercubs.

Thanks in advance!
Are you talking about using the included motor with a LiPo pack?

You can do this, provided you move the jumper on the ESC ( this switches it to LiPo ).

The LiPo packs are sooo light relative to the included NiCD's that you'll need to add weight to the nose, so you are better off just running two of those packs in parallel instead.

If you go with the stock setup, you'll need to REDUCE the prop diameter one or two sizes.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:56 PM
ChillPhatCat

This is a great plane... however I found the power to be inadequate for sport flying... most fields are grass and it would take quite a bit of runway off of the grass. That's not to say it can't be done, and with some larger wheels I'm sure it is not too bad. The biggest gripe I have is the weight, GP should have thrown in a NiMh battery instead of that ancient NiCd pack... for one, all the electronics had to be mounted in the back of the radio compartment and it still required an ounce of tail weight to balance, bringing flying weight to ~54 oz. That said, if you're a technical pilot and like to fly realistically, this plane will do it with it's 0.6:1 power to weight ratio, it takes a slight dive to make a nice loop, and it would take a good amount of runway on take offs (if I didn't have it hand launched). Overall I've enjoyed my plane, but after 5 flights it is about to undergo surgery and get upgraded to a 400W brushless motor on an 11.1v pack... this will remove about 10 ounces of flying weight, before balancing (the stock power pack alone weighs about 21 oz).
Old 09-02-2009, 09:41 PM
opjose

Actually if you want to change it's characteristics COMPLETELY there is no need to swap out the motor, etc.

Just change the jumper and install a set of LiPo batteries. It WILL fly as well as with a good brushless setup and ESC, and the upgrade is cheap.

Guapoman2000 went into this at great length in his thread. He compared the results and found that it was somewhat pointless to upgrade from the start.

The LiPo's lighten the nose so much that practically your only recourse is to run TWO of them in parallel... like this...

However; in the hunt fo more speed and duration I put a 700 watt 1100kv motor in mine, and I'm flying with a 9x6 prop.

I use TWO 2200mAh LiPo packs wired in parallel, OR if I want I can swap in a single 3750 14.8v LiPo pack ( my setup will work with both ).

With the former the plane will fly for 30 minutes NON-STOP at decent speeds.

With the latter the plane behaves as if I had a .40 glow engine in it. Very fast and powerful... unlimited verticals. With the latter I get 12 minutes or so of flight time.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:49 PM
ChillPhatCat

lol I guess I'm out of touch with how they're shipping this plane now. I got mine 2 years ago and there is no jumper on my ESC, it is only made to run on NiCd/NiMH.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:52 PM
opjose

I got mine two years ago, and it ships with an unlabeled "Silver Series" ESC.

If you look on the ESC there is a small jumper OR a solder pad.

One side says something like "N", the other something like "L".

You guessed it "L" for LiPo, "N" for NiCD/NiMH.

At very worst a cheap brushless ESC and battery packs are all you need to completely transform the plane.

The difference is night and day. Guapoman2000 went into all of this in depth and conducted a bunch of tests. He is also on RCG.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:36 PM
ChillPhatCat

ORIGINAL: opjose

I got mine two years ago, and it ships with an unlabeled ''Silver Series'' ESC.

If you look on the ESC there is a small jumper OR a solder pad.

One side says something like ''N'', the other something like ''L''.

You guessed it ''L'' for LiPo, ''N'' for NiCD/NiMH.

At very worst a cheap brushless ESC and battery packs are all you need to completely transform the plane.

The difference is night and day. Guapoman2000 went into all of this in depth and conducted a bunch of tests. He is also on RCG.

Nope mine doesn't have that... I gotta think back to when I actually got the thing... it might have actually been christmas of 2005. Man I think I spent 2 years building the thing, which is absolutely pathetic, but I didn't fly for a year.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:19 PM
rc airplane nut
My Feedback: (5)

Look at [link=http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/greatplanes/gpma1161.html]this[/link]. It's brushless now.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:27 PM
opjose

Oh, WHY did I have to see that!

That is about the perfect setup for this plane.

Though mine WAS a heck of a lot faster than that... until it recently met it's demise!

The elevator hinge separated during a full speed pass and the plane went in at a high rate... ugh...

172 flights on it and I must bit it adieu.