Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

GP Ryan STA EP Motor Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 12:21 PM
flymeaway
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Ryan STA EP Motor Upgrade?

Anyone out here have this bird and what are you using for upgrading the power system? I just finished building this model from a year ago (it got put on the back burner for a bit). I put the suggested GP power plant 600 geared running 8cell 2400mah NiCd. Yep, it weighed out at 3.5# ready to fly. I didn't want to spend the cash on brushless and LiPos unless I knew it flew well enough to justify the cost.

I maidened it yesterday: There was no wind at all, and the grass was a bit high so it finally took off after about a 400' roll. Yes, you read that right, 400 feet! After it was finally airborn it flew tremendously well even on that whimpy power system. A few clicks of trim and it was hands off. So, I do want to put some real power in this thing. I believe without the motor and battery it would weigh approx 30oz. I was thinking along the lines of an Axi 2814 or 2820. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:36 PM
pikebishop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GP Ryan STA EP Motor Upgrade?

for a cheap upgrade you could put a speed gems in there with the next higher kv. about an oz. lighter as well, will bolt right up to the great planes gearbox. higher effeciency to boot.