Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Mini Ultra Stick

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 03:26 PM
Constrictor
My Feedback: (46)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mini Ultra Stick

Anyone know where to get some small floats for this small version of the stick?
Old 07-03-2006, 08:57 AM
Doc Austin

Here's a copy/paste of a post I put on another forum:

Saw a Mini Ultra Stick PNP today

I saw a Mini Ultra Stick PNP at Archie's Hobbies yesterday. I figured I'de share my observations with you.

The PNP is about as RTF as you can get. The servos are in with the pushrods connected. The engine is in, and connected to the speed controller. The speed controller already has velcro on it, so you simply take the other half of the velcro and stick it on wherever you want the speed controller to go. Then you stick the speed controller to that. Personally I like to keep the speed controller under the battery tray because that keeps all the wires neatly tucked away, but it's nice they offered us a choice where to put it.

You will have to solder on whatever connector you use with your battery though. From what I can tell, this will be the most daunting task of the entire project.

The rest of the work will be to bolt on the tail (a 30 second job), bolt on the landing gear, hooking up your reciever, strap in the battery and program the radio. Depending on your radio, you may have to adjust some of the control linkages, but with the EZ connectors, that's not much of a task.

I would imagine I could probably get one out of the box and into the air in about 30 minutes. I'de say for a plane that flies as well as the ultra Stick that is pretty remarkable.

The plane comes with an E Flite 450 sized motor. The speed controller is 22 amps, and previously E Flite recommended a 20 amp controller for their 450. This tells me they have probably hotrodded the included motor a little. If that's the case, with a lightweight 1320mah pack this ought to be a great little lightweight package.

The picture on the box is a little different, but it's packaged the same way, only with most of the gear installed. In fact, I purchased a Mini Ultra Stick kit yesterday, and it was only when I was leaving the shop was I corrected that I was waliking out with the PNP version by mistake!

I looked the plane over pretty carefully, and it looks like it's the same old Mini Ultra Stick we have all come to love. I'm a little disappointed they didn't send the plane out in a different color scheme because I've already got four of the R/W/B colored Mini Ultra Sticks and I would have liked something a little different.

Oh, and I'm also disappointed they didn't put a tailwheel on the thing. I don't know how many times we are going to have to complain about the plane's wretched ground handling before they do something about it. It's worth pointing out that the Ultra Stick 25E has a pre installed tail wheel, so it's not like they haven't figured out how to put one on. I think it's more likely that making any changes to the production models would probably be cost prohibitive, but I'de sure pay $10 more if they would stick a tailwheel on the things.

Anyway, I'm saving my pennies to I build up an Ultra Stick 25E, but after that I will probably try a MUS PNP. Lots and lots of guys at my field are wanting to know more about electrics, so if this plane offers an effortless, inexpensive way to get involved, I'de like to have one so I can show them how easy it is. I'll probably put the thing on a buddy cord and let everyone give it a try without risking my primary plane. They are all pretty impressed with the performance of my Mini Ultra Sticks, so if I can make it simple for them we might have a few new converts.

The plane retails for around $200, so at $100 for the plane, $55 for the engine and $55 for the speed controller, it appears by my math that the servos and installation are free. Not a bad deal.

Well done, E Flite.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:33 PM
Textanker

I was at RC Hobby Store in Sugarland, Texas (SW of Houston), this afternoon and the owner walked out the front door with one under his arm. I had recently just purchased an E-flite Mini Funtana, not built yet, but I was very interested. THis thing was impressive. He was flying it just around the parking lot. Now, he is a really good pilot, but this thing was really great. I am a little pissed that I didn't know about it until after I bought my Funtana. Oh well.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:21 PM
skyhawk73

Thanks for the heads up on building the Mini Ultra Stick with the best configuration. I picked up a brushless 480 and a phoenix 25 as recommended only to find out that the paperwork on the 480 calls for a 40 amp speed controller. Not wanting anything to happen to my new MUS, I ordered a 40 amp esc . How can you guys get away with only a 25 amp speed controller.?

Also, I didn't realize the 480 mounting hardware doesn't match the blind nuts on the stock firewall. Too late, I already glued in the firewall with blind nuts glued in too. I'll have to be creative in mounting the 480 to match the blind nuts. Any suggestions.?

I don't plan on taxiing too much so, the tail skid doesn't bother me that much. Is the skid intended for grass or concrete surfaces
Old 07-18-2006, 06:21 PM
skyhawk73

Couldn't wait on a reply. I blasted out the glued blind nuts and drilled new holes just as "Todd's Models" recommends.
Hope it's close to lined up. Kinda felt like a modler "makin it work".
Old 07-19-2006, 04:30 PM
Shaggy33

Interesting reading guys on the MUS. I have one and have been flying tonight, what a great machine. I running 450 (890kv) outrunner, 1800mah lipo and 10x7 prop. Need more speed though;
Has anyone tried the Park Inrunner with gearbox?? Or is this a no go!!

Will I gain much by going up to 2100mah packs?

Cheers
Old 07-19-2006, 09:31 PM
Doc Austin

ORIGINAL: Shaggy33

I running 450 (890kv) outrunner, 1800mah lipo and 10x7 prop. Need more speed though...
I'm running an E flite 480 (920kv) with an APC 11/7 prop and a 2100-mah battery. The thing is just brutal. It accelerates lie no tomorrow and top speed is much better than the 450. I can get a ittle more speed with a 12/6, but the 11/7 is good, sounds better, and it gives me a few more minutes run time.

Will I gain much by going up to 2100mah packs?
I get about 15-20 minutes on a pack, but I manage the throttle a bit. I imagine you'de get at least 10-12 minutes with the 1800mah pack, but I'm just guessing. The plane comes out a little nose heavy with the 2100, so for balance I'de guess the 1800 would be perfect.

Old 07-20-2006, 02:31 AM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you guys are pretty happy with the Mini US. Good to hear.

As for the tailwheel, we are well aware of the issue. I doubt you will ever see one on the Mini US, but we are working hard to bring it to life on others. We like to taxi with the best of you.

As we continue to bring new models to life, we try very hard to give the customer what they want. We may not hit it perfect every time, but we are listening and keep trying to take it to the next level for you.

Keep an eye out for the next generation of models coming from E-flite, I believe you will be pleasantly surprised.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:27 AM
Doc Austin

ORIGINAL: John Redman

Sounds like you guys are pretty happy with the Mini US. Good to hear.
Personally, I couldn't be more thrilled with my Minis.

My perspective: I flew gas for years (40 of them if you count Ukies) and quit because I got tired of all the work. When I saw the Mini I came back to the sport. The Mini is so quick and easy that there really isn't any work. What assembly is left is the fun part of just screwing things together.

After one flight with the Mini I knew I had the right plane. I convinced all my friends to buy Minis, and we are sort of like the Mini Ultra Stick mafia. When we go flying, the pits are a sea of red, white and blue.

I got 175 flights out of my first Mini before I biffed her into the runway. If she wasn't already so beat up from all the abuse I heaped on her I would have probably fixed her, but she didn't deserve to be reduced to a beater. That was probably the best airplane I have ever owned and it was a sad day. But, hey...........$89 and I was back in business the same afternoon like nothing had ever happened!

I'm on MUS #2 now, with a third trim flown and hung up in reserve. I've also got two kits in the closet (and two 25Es). For every day sport flying, it's about perfect.

As for the tailwheel, we are well aware of the issue. I doubt you will ever see one on the Mini US...........
OK, but that's the only thing that keeps the Mini from being perfect. I'de love to have a tail wheel, but the Minis go together so easily it's made me too lazy to instal one myself.

I would gladly pay extra if my next Mini came with a pre-installed tail wheel. I'de gladly buy the replacement parts to retrofit all four of my current Minis.

I think if E flite were to use the same system that's on the 25E the plane would balance absolutely perfectly with a 480, and there would still be plenty of room to move the battery forward on planes equipped with 450s. I understand that it would require the fin to be redesigned and moved back a bit, but I'de sure pay more for a Mini with a tail wheel, and if you take a poll, I'm willing to bet most Mini pilots would be happy to spend the extra too.

but we are working hard to bring it to life on others.
Yes, major kudos and thanks for the tail wheel on the 25E. At my club I have to carry my mini out to the runway, but with the 25E I just taxi out and fly.

As we continue to bring new models to life, we try very hard to give the customer what they want.
You may have seen me talk about a small problem or two, but there's probably not a bigger fan of the E Flite lineup than me. I fly your motors and your speed controllers and I use your hardware and Thunder Power batteries. My Futaba radio is about the only thing I use that isn't E Flite. I've had Edges, Funtanas and Brios. You make it.....I buy it.

I live in Florida, and I fly every day. I haven't worn out or broken an E Flite product yet..........outside of a crash.

From what I can see, E Flite really has their finger on the pulse of the electric flier. Of course, you guys missed the beat where we were crying for a tail wheel on the Mini [sm=biggrin.gif], but outside of that you're the best.

We may not hit it perfect every time, but we are listening and keep trying to take it to the next level for you.
You guys nailed a home run with the 25E....that's for sure. A 25 Brio would sure be sweet.

Anyway, thanks for all the great stuff.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:20 AM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks from the entire E-flite team, I have passed on your coments and they are all appreciated.

The boss doesn't let us out much, we sleep at work and get two days off a year, need to keep the customer happy. Not really but I am playing for the sympathy.

Keep an eye out and I believe you will enjoy the next batch, there are always more to come. And I'll keep putting the tailwheel on for you. I will agree, with the way the ARF's are today, you tend to get a little lazy and can really enjoy the pilot thing.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:04 PM
Doc Austin

ORIGINAL: John Redman

I will agree, with the way the ARF's are today, you tend to get a little lazy and can really enjoy the pilot thing.
I got a little lazy flying today and biffed the 25E. It wasn't too bad, just knocked the firewall out. I use nylon bolts for the landing gear and it sheared off with no damage. It also cracked the fuse right below where it says "E Flite" on the side (the gear probably whacked there when it came off) so I'll retire it until I get the time to fix it right.

The batteries were getting low and I turned it onto final approach really hard and hard really low to the ground. She stalled deep like I was expecting her to, but when I went to catch her with the power it wasn't there. The soft cutoff on this speed controller isn't the same as what I'm use to with my E Flite controllers, and it just surprised me. With the F Flite controller I know just waht to expect, but this time I was counting on the power and I pushed it too far. My mistake completely. I managed to get the wings level and she pancaked in. It was a pretty good hit, so the damage I got wasn't too bad comsidering what a big mistake I made.

I've got a contest on Saturday morning, so I need to get her back in the air. I like the plane so much that I have another kit in the closet, so I'll just pull the fuse out of there and I'll be flying again before sunset.

Gawd, I love the Ultra Stick.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:18 PM
Street Flyer

What would be the best prop for the MUS? I have a e-flite park 480 (1020)kv on it.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:52 PM
Doc Austin

ORIGINAL: Street Flyer

What would be the best prop for the MUS? I have a e-flite park 480 (1020)kv on it.
The 12/6 APC prop works well, but I like an 11/7. It doesn't sacrifice much speed or vertical, but it gives me a couple of extra minutes and it sounds better. I don't know why. I just like the sound of the 11/7 better. An 11/7 also gives you 1/2 more ground clearance and with the 12/6 it's getting pretty marginal.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:45 AM
Street Flyer

How much time can you fly for with a 11x7?
Old 07-21-2006, 12:48 PM
Doc Austin

15-20, but that's wih a little throttle management.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:14 PM
FenceMagnet
My Feedback: (2)

hey John....

my only criticism of the MUS is the hinging.... too much glue and slightly too tight on the gaps.... a little more gap would probably cure it, and a strip of scotch tape would seal it up fine.... 'twould make it a lot easier to get those large control throws this plane loves....I have not had the landing-gear woes so many talk about, maybe I land a little smoother?

BTW, contemplating a MUS25e with a Saito .30 four stroke

[:-]
Old 07-21-2006, 03:48 PM
Street Flyer

ORIGINAL: Doc Austin

15-20, but that's wih a little throttle management.
Does your motor get hot with an APC 11x7E after flying it for 15-20 minutes?
Old 07-21-2006, 09:07 PM
skyhawk73

Tell me about the e-flight Thunder batteries that you're using. I miss the ballancer plug . The two element one doesn't ballance well with the Thunder balancer. It arrived in it's packaging a lil puffy. Not quite a silver sigar but definately puffy. What's up wit dat ?

Speaking of Lipo Cell Ballancers , I heard they are an insurance policy against fire. Which Cell Ballancer are you using. Seems you gotta have a ballancer for each Manufacturer.

Would one of you Lipo Pilots Please invent a Universal Lipo Cell Balancer. I wanna ballance my cells.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:12 PM
skyhawk73

The 480 calls for a 40 amp esc. Mount a 25 amp outside for cooling or should I consider mounting a 40 amp inside the nose-- would it be cool too.? Haven't ever flown a Mini Ultra Stick but hope to soon.

Mix channel 1 and 6 for the ailerons and possibly have flaperons as well .? Humm.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:26 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

I've been using the new FMA Cellpro balancing charger. If you also buy the adapter for about $18 you would be able to charge Thunder Power and Polyquest LiPo's. I did and the charger works well. I use it with the Polyquest batteries and the Hyperion which has a Polyquest balancing plug.
Old 07-22-2006, 06:12 AM
Doc Austin

ORIGINAL: FenceMagnet

....I have not had the landing-gear woes so many talk about, maybe I land a little smoother?
When I was flying gas we used nylon bolts to hold on dural landing gears, and I continued that on the Minis. I pancaked my original Mini in really hard, the bolts sherared, and the gear bounced off..........and it didn't hurt the plane at all. Everyone that saw it was convinced the [plane was destroyed, but it only suffered as nick or two, and after a thourough check over, I was flying it the next day.
I'm sure the impact would have otherwise ripped the mounts out

Does your motor get hot with an APC 11x7E after flying it for 15-20 minutes?
It doesn't even get warm. Even in 90 degree Floida heat I can pick it up by the motor and carry it bak to the pits. It's that same with a 12/6 too. I'm starting to wonder if I could get away with more prop, but the thing is so brutal now that I'm not sure I could handle more.

ORIGINAL:skyhawk73 Date The 480 calls for a 40 amp esc. Mount a 25 amp outside for cooling or should I consider mounting a 40 amp inside the nose-- would it be cool too.?
I run a 40 amp E flite controller and I slide it under the battery tray. Installing it is tight, but it fits. Since the plane balances noes heavy with the 480 and 2199, I run the battery pack as far back as I can get it without taking the wing off to instal it. I'm thinking about relieving the front of the battery tray so I have more room to wiggle the ESC in there, but that's just being lazy. The 40 amp controller fits in there fine......but you have to hook up the motor wires after it's already in place because there's not enough room to slide it in with the connectors sticking out.

The controller works fine there and it doesn't get hot either. It doesn't look like the cooling holes let alot of air in, but they certainly must because nothing ever gets hot. I've seen guys mount the controller on the inside wall of the battery compartment, but then all the wiring looks like a rat's nest. With the ESC under the tray, it's nice and neat and you don't have a bunch of wires in the way when you put the battery in.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14606.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	495064  
Old 07-22-2006, 06:14 AM
Doc Austin

Ahhhhhhhh, double posted. Stop laughing. You've probably one it too.

Old 07-22-2006, 10:12 AM
Street Flyer

Do any of you guys have tail wheels on your MUSs?
Old 07-22-2006, 12:32 PM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

I broke the stock prop that came with my MUS PNP. I've been using an APC 10 X 3.8 I had in hand while waiting for prop replacements.

With throttle management (about 25% full throttle - rest about 1/2or slightly less), I fly for 25 minutes, then land it. I use about 1900 mah out of a 2100 mah TP 3S 11.1V. So, I imagine I could keep on going for another few minutes.

By the way, the 10 X 3.8 prop does great!

Old 07-26-2006, 05:35 PM
mrdakota
My Feedback: (29)

I picked one up the other day and threw in som 75's I had and a MPI 5300Kv inrunner with a 10x5 @ ~5:1 gear ratio
Whoo-Wee! seems to be running great.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.