Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes
Reload this Page >

Hyperion extra 300l, handy hint - trust me

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Hyperion extra 300l, handy hint - trust me

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 05:58 AM
Dav0012

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hyperion extra 300l, handy hint - trust me

Hi, i had just finished a hyperion extra 300l which seemed like a well built arf, untill i got it into the air, after take off i took a turn outward, then noticed the plane sway side to side violently so i decided to make a 2nd turn back to the runway, but on that second turn the right hand wing snapped off which sent the plane into a spiral to the ground, so just a handy hint, if you are building one of these models, and are going to leave the wings on permanently, i suggest to glue the wings to the fuselage with epoxy to add strength because the 4 bits of plywood with 4 screws obviously isnt enough to hold the wing on. as i found out the hard way...

Happy flying!!!
dav0012
Old 02-06-2006, 03:47 PM
lwatson
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Hyperion extra 300l, handy hint - trust me

Is there no CF rod running through the wing?
Old 02-06-2006, 06:25 PM
go-flight

Dav0012,

It sounds to me like you have not installed the wing joiner? It is a relatively thick plywood piece that goes through a tunnet in the fuse so each wing half is joined like with a normal wing tube. This piece is plenty strong for the Extra.

The 2 screws per wing is ONLY to keep the wing in place over the wing joiner for it not to slide off - I guess an elasic band on the inside of the fuse could be used similarly, but Hyperion opted for external screws on the Extra.

FWIW,

go-flight
Old 02-10-2006, 12:08 AM
Dav0012

the wing joiner snapped at where it enters the wings, ive been building for a while, and theres no way i would forget the brace (joiner)
Old 02-11-2006, 04:07 AM
go-flight

ORIGINAL: Dav0012
.... the 4 bits of plywood with 4 screws obviously isnt enough to hold the wing on....
Then your earlier statement mislead me.

As you know, the wing joiner is about 2/16 thick and about an inch high of plywood, standing up vertically. It sounds incredible that it snapped - I guess you must be one heck of a high-G pilot to break this plywood joiner. [8D]
Old 02-11-2006, 05:21 AM
Dav0012

LOL :P nah i didnt wanna stress the plane out because it being maiden flight so the 2 turns (30 seconds) of flight i actually managed to get were smooth half oval turns, only banked about 20-30 degrees , but it just started to drop the wing as i said violently flying straight and level, then snap!, then all you see is the plane with 1 wing dangling spiraling to the ground :P, when i reached the plane the whole front of it was a write off but the wing joiner had snapped on both wings where it enters so yeh, sorry for leaving that part out in my first statement

THE EVEN FUNNIER THING IS! the wings are absolutely perfect! and the half the rear fueslage and tailfeathers are perfect, but when i saw the wings still being perfect, no wood broken and not even any covering ripped, i was shocked, but yeh as i said the front was write off, so seeings the wings were still absolutely perfect, i can only presume it was because the plywood joiner snapped?, am i correct to assume that?
Old 03-12-2006, 11:18 AM
DonH21
My Feedback: (3)

I just putting together the cap232. I was impressed with the hole design and strength of the plane. Sounds like the wing is built the same.
Looks strong to me too. I epoxied the wing together a instructed.
I'll let you know how mine performs.
I was getting tired of the weak 3d models, plus i do more sport flying than 3d anyway

Don