Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Sea Plane reccomendations!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 06:45 AM
r/cmark42
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sea Plane reccomendations!

I've have become bored with my little beaver on floats as well as a 26oz. piper on floats and I'm looking for recomendations for another sea plane. I did have a twin Advetura from Hobby-Lobby that I enjoyed but could not stand the maintenance involved with keeping it airborne. Any help is appreciated
Old 07-31-2006, 09:06 AM
normgoyer

Default RE: Sea Plane reccomendations!

There is a no better plane on floats for all around fun and realism and that is a Piper J-3. they come in all ARF sizes and there are floats to match. They seem to have been designed for floats. I added on a Seaplane rating to my commercial certificate in 1947 in a J-2 Cub and have been flying J-3 Cubs on wheels and floats both full scale and model size since. I recommend the 81" ARF from GPs with a matching set of floats. Norm
Old 07-31-2006, 09:16 AM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: r/cmark42

I've have become bored with my little beaver on floats as well as a 26oz. piper on floats and I'm looking for recomendations for another sea plane. I did have a twin Advetura from Hobby-Lobby that I enjoyed but could not stand the maintenance involved with keeping it airborne. Any help is appreciated
Do you want a seaplane or a float plane?

CR
Old 07-31-2006, 04:22 PM
r/cmark42

either would be fine. My first preference would be to get a kit -need something to keep me out of trouble for a while :-)
Old 08-01-2006, 10:42 AM
r/cmark42

Do you fly the 81" piper on electric power?
Old 08-01-2006, 12:44 PM
bpannier

Look at the ACE Seamaster...
Old 08-01-2006, 12:53 PM
normgoyer

Hi, yes I do. On wheels I use an AXi 2826-12 motor and when I have it on floats I use an AXi 4120 for very good performance. I use 11.1 volts for the small motor and 22.2 volts for the larger one. I can change motors in under five minutes as all components attach to the motor moumts and firewall. Norm

I also have a 1/4 scale Super Cub with a Quadra 35 on scale EDO floats. All cubs fly exactly like the full scale ones. Super fun,
Old 08-01-2006, 01:35 PM
Charley

either would be fine. My first preference would be to get a kit -need something to keep me out of trouble for a while :-)
There's a 38" WS Husky kit , by Fox Lite, through Radical RC, that caught my eye. Can't decide if I want to build a kit or not. It's $99 with the float kit, intro offer. Pic of it on page 27 of the latest MA.

CR
Old 08-01-2006, 01:59 PM
normgoyer

If you really want to enjoy seaplanes build a larger one. 60" to 1/4 size is best with an 80 inch or so wingspan easier to handle and transport. 38 inches is very small for a seaplane model and I am afraid it would flit more than fly. Water can not be scaled and a drop of water is a drop of water no matter how big your plane is. Norm
Old 08-26-2006, 03:31 PM
traxxboy

Would you be interested in selling the twin Advetura. thanks.

p.s If you want a hot little float plane look at the ultrastick 25e. Just a suggestion.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:43 AM
Charley

ORIGINAL: normgoyer

If you really want to enjoy seaplanes build a larger one. 60" to 1/4 size is best with an 80 inch or so wingspan easier to handle and transport. 38 inches is very small for a seaplane model and I am afraid it would flit more than fly. Water can not be scaled and a drop of water is a drop of water no matter how big your plane is. Norm
Don't know how you figure an 80" wing is easier to transport. Anyhoo I flew a TM-400 on GWS floats for a while, no probs. It's about the size of the Husky that I wrote of and the Beaver that the OP flies is even smaller. You really ought to try a smalller model off water before you comment.

I'm thinking of putting the GWS floats on my MUS PnP just for the halibut.

CR
Old 08-27-2006, 10:53 AM
normgoyer

Charley old friend, I have been flying seaplanes since 1965, first successful RC fllight was with 72 in BerkelyCub. I also won several contests with a Swoose a very small seaplane with an Arden engine. I also designed and wrote about a 42 inch Colonial Skimmer that I flew with a small OS. What I stated was that an 81 inch is far easier to transport than a 1/4 scale and flies more than flits like a smaller seaplane. I carry my 81 Cub assembled in the rear seat area of my Karmann Ghia convertible, remove it throw two switches and fly. Have a great day. Norm
Old 08-27-2006, 12:13 PM
Charley

ORIGINAL: normgoyer

Charley old friend, I have been flying seaplanes since 1965, first successful RC fllight was with 72 in BerkelyCub. I also won several contests with a Swoose a very small seaplane with an Arden engine. I also designed and wrote about a 42 inch Colonial Skimmer that I flew with a small OS. What I stated was that an 81 inch is far easier to transport than a 1/4 scale and flies more than flits like a smaller seaplane. I carry my 81 Cub assembled in the rear seat area of my Karmann Ghia convertible, remove it throw two switches and fly. Have a great day. Norm
Norm, I am not your "old friend." So don't address me that way. What you wrote was that you were "afraid" that a smaller model would flit rather than fly. This suggested that you had never tried one. I replied to what you wrote, nothing more.

I'd like to see a pic of that 81" Cub in the K-Ghia. Especially with the top up. If you throw two switches and fly, it means you didn't do a range check. You ought to know better.

Regards,

CR
Old 08-27-2006, 12:47 PM
normgoyer

Hi Not My Old Friend, I live in the desert and I never put the roof up on my Ghia, if it rains twice a year it is rare. I put the roof up once a month to clean and lubricate the fabric. I have many pix of my Ghia with my Cub in it but of course the roof is down and I always set up my model before I go including the range check. Sorry if I upset you most of the modelers in California are far more friendly than you appear to be. Have a good life. Norm
Old 08-29-2006, 02:16 PM
lthibault

I just had a terrible experience with a Donald 5 ''Arf'', a Tcheckoslovakian product from what seems to be a very small business. Instructions were merely understandable and the plane had many bugs. For example one of the ailerons did'nt fit the wing, can you believe it?

Getting parts? Good Luck! Esprit Model informed me that canopys would not be available again from this company!

The whole thing finished in the trash can yesterday, where it belongs.

Anyway I'm going for the E-Flight J3-Cub 25 with floats, check Greg Covey's great review at:

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=4496267&key=[/link]
Old 08-29-2006, 03:06 PM
r/cmark42

I originally ordered the "donald" from Hobby _Lobby. After waiting 6 weeks they determined they could no longer support this plane. I ended up with an Advetura. From the sounds of it, the Advetura was made by the same company as the donald. I spent more time trying to keep the parts on it, I finally destroyed it in a fit of controlled rage!

I'm currently leaning toward either the super zoom from Hobby-lobby (I'm reluctant because of my experience with the Adventura) or the Ultrastick 25e
Old 08-29-2006, 03:32 PM
lthibault

It's not that one could'nt fix it...but I'm this type of modeler who doesn't have all the time in the world. Although I enjoy technical work my real passion is to improve an already good product.

The Donald 5 has many flaws. Motor angle had to be tweaked. Water would get in easily. The aircraft would submarine at middle throttle. The wholes in the fuselage were not punched at the same level, so one of the wings was creating drag...you see the picture.

From the couple of lessons I've learned in this domain, two things:

1-Use a proven configuration (company developers had to test and crash so you don't need to)
2-Make sure parts are easily available within North America

Also it's a little bit challenging to take off from water. Obviously you need a boat to pickup the plane if you screw up on your approach. Then your electronic components may become defective because of the water.

You also require to use some space before you take off, or you may stall. It's not such a difficult technique but I would advise to stay alert.

Good luck.

Old 08-29-2006, 03:56 PM
r/cmark42

Thanks for the advice..
I have a littel GWS Beaver with floats. It requires hand launching as the pond I fly off of is not long enough to support the lenght it requires for take -off. I also have a SR Cutie that I hve put floats on. this is very similar to a J-3 cub. It takes off and lands just fine on my little pond but is limited in what it is capable of doing in the air. Just looking for the next step. I think going with Horizon hobby product offers me the best support in parts and advice(vs Hobby-Lobby)
thanks for your help!
Old 08-30-2006, 04:46 AM
jooNorway

There are a lot of planes sold with floaters which work good.

The only plane I will warn against is the Short Sealand. A friend of mine (a very experienced pilot) have big troubles getting this bird airborne. It just don`t work...

A model which work well is this one: http://no.rcmodeller.net/content.asp?showId=80 This is a link to the Norwegian dealer, but I know it is sold in US too. In fact I might get one for myself just to have an easyflown plane for the winter. There is a lot of snow here some months of the year [&:]
Old 08-30-2006, 10:34 AM
Charley

ORIGINAL: jooNorway

There are a lot of planes sold with floaters which work good.

The only plane I will warn against is the Short Sealand. A friend of mine (a very experienced pilot) have big troubles getting this bird airborne. It just don`t work...

A model which work well is this one: http://no.rcmodeller.net/content.asp?showId=80 This is a link to the Norwegian dealer, but I know it is sold in US too. In fact I might get one for myself just to have an easyflown plane for the winter. There is a lot of snow here some months of the year [&:]
I followed the link. It's a semi-scale Cessna. That's the same outfit that makes the "Ready" on floats. There was a guy in one of the floatplane threads who had one and loved it. It's for glow power but I guess you can convert anything these days if you have the bucks.
They have a semi-scale Beaver on floats that looks interesting.

CR
Old 08-30-2006, 01:06 PM
normgoyer

Hi, that model is a plastic blow molded Cessna Cardinal that is made in Italy I believe. It has been around for a long time and is cosidered to be quite a good airplane. It is currently available also through Hobby People in the states. Norm

If you put scale float struts on this plane it would be a very scale looking Cardinal.

Although I am not sure that the Cardinal was ever approved for floats.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:29 PM
bipeaddict

Try the Grumman G-73 Mallard from www.kamodels.com. It was reviewed in the May 2005 issue of RC Modeler. I haven't started mine yet but the glass work is really nice.

Old 08-30-2006, 04:41 PM
lthibault

Bipeaddict,

So you need to build from stratch and do everything (cut, paint, etc.). Those are not ARF right?
Old 08-30-2006, 06:44 PM
bipeaddict

The K&A Mallard is a kit. The fuselage is fiberglass. The wings are balsa covered foam. There are two kit options. One has the balsa skins already attached to the foam wings. The other kit option does not.

Old 09-06-2006, 07:15 PM
Jerry Ledford
My Feedback: (15)

Try and find a Puddle Master.It is in kit form.Very easy to build and fly.This is a takeoff on older seaplanes such as the Mallard.I flew mine for about 8 yrs.I would hand launch it and land in the grass.Also flew great off water. Jerry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.