Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

MUS tailwheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 09:18 AM
divergoff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MUS tailwheel

I'm sure people have added a steerable tailwheel to the MUS, I just wanted to know which one works well with this plane. Also what size main tires that people have added so the plane rolls better on grass.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:18 PM
Dewane

Default RE: MUS tailwheel

I used a 40 size Dubro tail wheel kit.It bolts up using the stab bolt.I just attached it to the rudder with tape and it works perfectly and is easily removeable.Its a perfect little setup.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:53 PM
Doc Austin

This is about the 10th or so thread I've seen on Mini Ultra Stick tailwheels. I wish E flite would just put the things on and charge me another $10.

The math sure doesn't make sense. The Mini Pulse has a tailwheel. It only costs $10 more, and then it's got a canopy, and a fiberglas cowling and wheel pants on top of it. With that much more value available for only $10, I may have bought my last Ultra Stick.

Of course, it also helps that the Pulse XT and Mini Pulse are now my favorite planes.

I've stopped flying my Mini Ultra Sticks because the ground handling is so wretched and the Mini Pulse taxis so sweet. You simply taxi a Pulse back to the pits, but with the Ultra Stick it's like you're a dog sent out to fetch a bone or something.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:05 PM
divergoff

Has anyone added larger wheels to the plane? I mostly fly off a soccer field which is not the smoothest grass you could imagine. I've found up to 5" wheels but I do not what to loose much performance, how big can I go?
Old 05-06-2007, 02:31 PM
wksaz

Hello All, I too am a MUS fan. I am new to RCU but have been in the hobby for a while. I went looking for the cause of my MUS's wretched ground handling and yes, a tailwheel is very helpful but I found what I believe to be a manufacturing oversight in mine.

If you looked at the MUS from the top down, the main wheels were quite a ways back from the leading edge of the wing and were "toed" out instead of slightly in. This was causing a tendancy for it to turn, not to stay straight when rolling. I believe that this is the casue of many of them being difficult on the ground.

My solution was to remove the gear and drill two additional holes in it so that I could remount it the other direction. This made the wheels come forward to be even with the L.E. of the wing and also they are now correctly aligned, "toed in". This made a night and day difference in mine and I don't yet have a tailwheel installed. Check yours out and see if it seems to have this condition, I think you will like this mod.

Brady T. wksaz