Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes
Reload this Page >

Mini Pulse XP PNP Quality Issues

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Mini Pulse XP PNP Quality Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 12:06 PM
John C

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mini Pulse XP PNP Quality Issues

Received my PNP Thursday, latest batch received from the orient, and got on with the assembly process. Major looseness in the covering where the wing tips were held with small boxes. It did shrink back OK. Found the elevator and rudder push rod wire holders were not threaded to clamp the push rod wires. Changed out with DuBro on hand. Found one aileron mounting screw stripped in the wing. Fixed with CA

Upon starting the motor, I encountered a 'squalling' at low speed which went away at full speed; however after 15 sec, the motor power decreased markedly. My LHS will swap out the motor for a new one, so I went off to remove the motor from the fuselage this am. The four socket head capscrews were installed in the blind nuts with something like CA or epoxy. I was able to break one loose, twist one off with my 'T' handle wrench, and had to grind the heads off the remaining two, as the hex stripped, to remove the mounting plate to remove it. I pushed out the blind nuts with the screw residue intact. Blind nuts didn't seem to have any adhesive holding them to the motor mount.

Thought I should check the mounting plate to the motor in case the new motor does not include it. Found these flat head screws barely hand tight!

So far, I am less than impressed [&o]!

Will try it out Wednesday am using a DX6 asuming I don't find any further show stoppers [:'(]

John C
Old 04-09-2007, 03:36 PM
garyguru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mini Pulse XP PNP Quality Issues

Sorry your RTF was a bad apple. I found the greatest defect to be the motor, it is not a BL 450, rather "a 450 type" motor. Mine almost exploded the nose of the aircraft, with no prop or spinner !! The motor has a 30 thou of an inch wobble, no bent shaft mind you, just very bad, very cheep enginering. Your motor likely has the mags grinding into the windings. I went out and got a "real" 450 BL and it runs true like the fine AXI copy it is. My motor is going back to Horizon with a follow up phone call. In all truth the folks at Horizon are the best customer sevice guys around and they need to know about " Chines Junk" (pun intended) like this so they can fix the QC issues. I must say the mini is one of the best little bundles of flight fun for the money.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:38 PM
John C

Further to my note above, I got the 450 from my LHS, reinstalled blind nuts with epoxy, and checked the motor operation. All seems OK.

Then I tried to mount the prop and collet - THE PNP MOTOR SHAFT IS SMALLER THAN THE STANDARD 450 - [:@][:@][:@]. Called the LHS again - he's 17 miles each way and advised him to keep the rest of the stuff in the 450 box. We'll meet at the field Wednesday am and sort out next moves.

Anyway, BE AWARE the PNP motor is different from the standard 450 !!!

John C
Old 04-09-2007, 03:57 PM
John C

GaryGuru, you must have been posting about the same time as me.

My two AXIs have been perfect so far. If I had been aware of the junk motor issue - LHS has run into others - I'd have sprung for individual parts over a month ago and been in the air. That's what I get for trying to save some money [].

John C
Old 04-09-2007, 05:03 PM
normgoyer

Hi guys, if everyone in the model game repeats after me, " You get what you pay for." a lot of these problems with cheap junk would go away. I buy nothing but AXi and Jeti and planes from GP and H9, I know what I am getting and if not, it is rectified. Norm
Old 04-09-2007, 08:15 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

I wont speak for the pnp version but I own and fly a minipusle and love it.I upgraded to a BL480 motor and bought a 40 amp speed control from elfite and am using a thunderpower 2070 3 cellpack.the plane is fast and tracks well!absolutely no issues.I used a hitec dual conversion rx with hs 55's.I personally dont like the pnp version of anything.I would rather customize the plane to fit my flying style.the same is true of the eflite mini stick..but I have my mind set on the mini katana MD from altana hobby/awesome plane.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:21 PM
normgoyer

Hi, I didn't mean to imply that the companies I mentioned were the only "good" model companies to do business with. There are 100s of them out there that take great pride in their products and make sure that every sale they make will add another happy customer to their list. Norm
Old 04-09-2007, 09:58 PM
scrooks

I had just as many issues with my non-PNP Mini Pulse XT. Badly wrinkled covering, ailerons completely warped, wing warped, lack of epoxy in all the right places. I agree with "Norm" to a degree when he says "you get what you pay for". The mass produced stuff coming from overseas leaves much to be desired[:'(]
Old 04-10-2007, 09:44 AM
Doc Austin

I almost always buy my planes from the LHS. That way I can inspect them and make sure there are no quality control or shipping damage issues. Occasionally I will have no choice and have to mail order a plane because my LHS can't get it, but E Flite stuff is available just about everywhere.