Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Electrifly Extra 330s

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 08:35 AM
carguy1994ca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Electrifly Extra 330s

What kind of flying do you prefer ?
Old 02-18-2008, 09:19 AM
bobskinner

Hey Guys, I am getting this beautiful plane as a birthday present. I cannot wait!

I have a question for those who have built one already, does anyone think it possible or have any thoughts on modifying the wing to make it removable (without adding too much weight) I need to have the plane package able for shipping after building and flying it. It's that or wait another 12months before I get to build or flying it.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Bob
Old 02-18-2008, 05:32 PM
carguy1994ca

Bob,

The desigh of the wing will make it impossible to be made removable. Each wing sits in a recess along the fuselage but only the spar joins both wing panel. The root ribs of each panel do not touch each other. The root ribs are glued to the fuselage and the spar is join with 2 pieces of hardwood that are glued on either side. The spar and wood braces are rather thin and need the glue joint to have the strengh to support the stress of flying.

Carguy

Old 02-18-2008, 06:21 PM
bobskinner

Thank you for your response Carguy.

I am very excited about getting the plane in the air but I guess I will have to be patient for a bit longer. It looks like it would be worth the wait though.

Regards,

Bob
Old 02-18-2008, 06:50 PM
carguy1994ca

Indeed the plane is very well flyer. Tracks true, lots of performance with the recommended power system or equivalent, flies like a lot bigger airplane and flies like an Extra !! Have a ball !!

Carguy
Old 02-19-2008, 11:23 AM
wedgewing

you could buy the Eflite 260 3D ( I both) and it allows you to take off the wing. what you have to go through to get the 330s wing on there is no removal
Old 01-24-2009, 04:25 PM
Jerry Sparks

This plane, by Great Planes, is supposed to have been covered in Monokote but is not. The plane fly’s good but the wing has only one spar tying it to the frame which is too light. The wing will snap in the air with no warning. After a stall then flat spin with roll over to an inverted flat spin then into a vertical spin with pull our into the wind the wings snapped on the left side at the fuselage. This model needs to have some more support near the fuselage or another spar added, that’s going to be hard to do, prior to final assembly. To put it mildly, the plane is junk!

Jerry Sparks
Old 01-24-2009, 06:30 PM
carguy1994ca

Jerry

I disagree about the plane beeing junk. The wing is glued to the spar and to the side of the fuselage in the wing cutout. The wings need to be aligned carefully when gluing and the glue placed on all the mating surfaces. If the wings are allowed to move while the glue is drying then they won't be seating properly and the joint will be weak. This could be a reason to your wing failure. My experience with the plane is that it will withstand the rigor of flying but, as it is built very light for 3D performance, it won't resist to a crash, and it will suffer damage from hard landings.

I agree that the covering is not ''true'' monokote as can be bought in rolls or as is found on bigger GP airplanes. The covering on the extra 330s is lighter than monokote. One must be carefull when going with the iron on the trim for tightening the covering. It can easily get damaged/displaced .
Old 01-24-2009, 07:57 PM
Jerry Sparks

The spar was joined as it should be but it broke, clean, at the root rib tearing off the surface of the balsa that was glued to the root rib. The spar is only 3/16 x 1/8 top and bottom as the center section is just sheer webbing. It is capped with carbon but apparently not enough. The whole problem is that I do not do 3D but do expect the plane to the same aerobatics as performed by the real plane. If I had realized the fact that the spar did not go solidly through the root rib I would have fixed the problem during assembly. Also the box that it came in clearly says that it is covered in Topflite MonoKote with Registered trade mark.