Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

ZeroGravity Pitts Python 42"

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 07:49 PM
jrwilliams27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ZeroGravity Pitts Python 42"

I put the decals on mine and they have stayed on very well. I have flown it about 15 times in below freezing or cool weather and have not had a problem at all with them peeling. I never even heated them up, but just used Windex on the Python and used a piece of cardboard to get rid off the excess Windex. Worked great and looks good!
Old 03-07-2008, 09:17 PM
jumper666

jrwilliams27, sound good.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:11 AM
SackOHammers

I maidened it yesterday. The field was pretty windy and several people weren't flying. I hung out flying the mini-pulse hoping I would get a window of opportunity late in the evening.

Just as the sun was setting the wind went down a bit. I taxied it out and did a final pre-flight. I realized I had my radio switches on high-rates because of the mini-pulse. I flicked them down to normal rates and noticed a problem. My ailerons were acting strange. Both of them were max up. Moving the stick did nothing. The sun was going down fast and my light was rapidly escaping. After a minute I realized I had hit the flaps switch off the center position. Dummy. I quickly went in and changed all the flaps settings to 0% so it wouldn't happen again. Then, I took off. Trim wasn't bad at all. Two clicks left and she was level. I also quickly realized how much of a novice pilot I am. The ailerons were super snappy... I mean really snappy. I had the low rates and expo set up as indicated in the manual... but I need to recheck throws... not just adjusting a % of throws in the radio, but I need to mechanically measure the throws to see how much the surfaces are actually traveling.

I had to keep it pretty steady and didn't try any aerobatics... plus my light was fading. I flew a couple circuits around the pattern. Went full throttle and did a climb (nice). Then I went for a few slower passes over the runway to get a feel for what landing would be like. Man I had to be steady on the ailerons. I just need to develop a more heightened sensitivity. I tried making a few slow passes, and I realized I was probably going too slow for this bipe. I realize I was probably close to stalling it... not a good idea close to the ground. So then I decided I needed to land with a little more speed. I went in for final approach and had things lined up pretty well. Got hit with a touch of wind and I did tag the tip of one wing... but it was after the wheels were on the ground and it wasn't moving too fast. You can barely tell by looking at the covering I hit the wingtip on the asphalt.

I'll call it a success. A VICTORY! I'm a little intimidated. Which is a great thing. I like being challenged. I'm going to dial down the ailerons and take it out again today. This wonderful plane will serve to improve my skills and take me to the next level. I'm pleased as punch with it.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:28 PM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

Well I'm impressed with the plane but I can't say the same for the Hacker motor. I thought I was just short the metal X mount but on further inspection I find that there is no prop adapter either. Appartently they come packaged both ways one with a fan and no mount and one without the fan but includes the mount and adapter. Now I need the mounting kit but everyone ( I checked with ) is out of stock and have no idea when they'll get more. Anyone know where one might be ?

I should have stayed with E - Flight. A lot less hassles [:@]
Old 03-09-2008, 01:13 PM
SackOHammers

Hey brother,
Take a look here:
http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=5634
Make sure you set the dropdown list to A30 (it defaults to A20).
$7 US

I've done business with this company twice and both times were good. Got it in a couple days.

EDIT: BTW, I'm stealing your avatar. I know.. shameless.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:30 PM
Don M.

ORIGINAL: SackOHammers

EDIT: BTW, I'm stealing your avatar. I know.. shameless.

Time for a change anyway - back to my old 1/5 P-51
Old 03-10-2008, 08:41 AM
rrweather
My Feedback: (7)

I picked mine up this weekend from Justin in Sacramento. I am going out of the country this week so she will be sitting on my bench while I'm gone. The ARF looks like amazing quality. I am still waiting on the motor. Hopefully it will be here by the time I get home. Then I'll be ready to go. Thanks again for the pics and thread.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:50 AM
Don M.

I just started puting mine together last night. For a "little" plane the thought, detail and workmanship that went into this thing is amazing
Old 03-12-2008, 05:45 PM
Don M.

I'm getting there. All I need are some servos ( coming ) and motor parts ( coming ).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41726.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	901829   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt59818.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	901830  
Old 03-12-2008, 05:47 PM
Don M.

My "attempt" at a cockpit .

Name:	Qo41436.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	901831   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79290.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	901832  
Old 03-12-2008, 11:25 PM
SackOHammers

Looks real nice Don. Looks like you got it together quickly. Nice finish as well.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:35 AM
Don M.

Yeah well I've been retired for one week and have lots of time Now if my servos and motor parts would just come AND THE SNOW WOULD STOP FALLING [:@] I'd get it in the air.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:54 PM
Don M.

Well I finally got all the parts and have mine completed. After I checked the balance the only real problem reared it's ugly head. I'm using 2 - 3S 2100 batteries in parallal. In order to balance they have to be well ahead in the fuse. I have hands like catchers mitts and it is a MAJOR chore to get those batteries up there and fasten up the velcro strap under the center wing section [:@] I may try some rubber bands after I sort out what batteries I'm going to use. I don't want to buy any batteries until I decide if I'm going to stay with 3S or go 4S. It all depends on the performance with the 3S.

Mine weighs 55 ozs. with 2 batteries, 50 with 1.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:28 PM
SackOHammers

Glad to hear you got it all together. You could try going with bigger batteries for a longer flight experience and go with a more permanent mounting solution, then build a charging plug on the surface of the fuse... just charge the batteries while in the plane. I know there are risks associated with that, but pretty much all of the really large electrics do this... because wing removal, etc are just not an option.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:30 AM
Don M.

Yeah that's the plan. But first I have to figure out the ideal battery set up. I only have 4 - 3S2100 and 2 - 2S2100. I'm going to try 2 - 3S in parrallel and 2 - 2S in series to see what works the best before I commit.

There are risks no matter what batteries you use. I scorched the fuse of another plane once while charging nicads [X(]
Old 03-23-2008, 01:37 PM
Crazy Fingers

Well in search for cockpit printouts for my e-flite pitts I see my 2 cents might be worth just that here... So, I didn't do a ton of research but when I saw this bipe, I had to have it (the E-flite 12 15e that is)! I got it sent to me from Esprit model where it seems y'all went through as well, and the topper: I got the Hacker 30m 10xl as was the suggested motor (although my suggested ESC was the 40x which now worries me a bit)AND AND AND! my Hacker 30m 10xl came with NO x mount nor case prop adaptor (no fan mount either but I did get the wooden O ring with holes) to which I thought I would be able to figure out a fix one way or another without much ado. Well here's what I ended up with: I had a Hong Kong tryout motor that I got to put in my Siren hotliner that I paid $40 bucks for (a Turnigy C3548-900) that is about as close as it gets for a dead match in size, weight, power to the 10xl (coincidence of rarity, I assure you) so I mounted it on in to CG the pitts until I figured out an x mount fix for the Hacker mototr. Well I think as one of you has found, that's a bit harder than it seems, and frustrating as all hell due to the simplicity of it's root. Anywho'syourdaddy, after the pitts was finished and I hadn't found a Hacker mount AND had run both motors through thrust tests with different props, I kept the Turnigy in with the 4S 2100 mAh $40 special I just happened to buy with the motor from the git, and have flown over 10 times now, pleased as punch indeed, with a 12x 6 prop (nice guess whoever that was) as the 12x 6 yielded the best thrust with the least amperage drawn and my flights are well over 10 minutes with plenty of hovering/ torque rolls to boot! Bottom line, I think the Hacker + FP Evo 2500 mAh (Esprit suggested) of $280 loses huge to the Turnigy + generic 4S 2100 25C $80 combo and without any exageration at all, the generic 2100 flew longer than the FP 2500 Evo. (which has since died). Okay so mabye it was more like $0.77 cents worth.

For the record my Pitts weighs 51 Oz with battery

and I must say both these bipes are incredibly sex baby YEAH..

Name:	Ge96158.jpg
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	911405   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14386.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	911406  
Old 03-26-2008, 02:40 PM
SackOHammers

Not sure which Hacker motor you're trying there for $280. The Hacker I mentioned in the build specs was purchased for about $80 or so.
Some folks have gone with the Scorpion, but others were a bit frustrated. Also, be aware, the motor can be packaged with or without the X-mount. Just be sure you ask what you are purchasing. If you get the wrong one, you can order the mount and prop adapter for $5 separately.

How is your e-flight treating you? I had considered the e-flight and a few others. I went with the ZeroGravity and haven't regretted it. There are a few people in the Pitts Python thread at rcgroups that own both. I think while they enjoyed both, the ZeroGravity was preferred... but obviously it comes at a cost. The ZeroG plane costs more.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:02 AM
Crazy Fingers

Yes, I wasn't getting all my ducks quite lined up at the end there. Here's what I was trying to say:

I got the same Hacker motor you have in your ZG Pitts Python for my E-Flite Pitts 12 15e, and as far as I can tell, these biplanes are near identical (I'll definately be getting this ZG Pitts asap for comparison and to feed a growing biplane addiction) Product Information:

#4 Pitts Model 12 15e (ARF)
Part#: EFL2550
(Qty: 1 x $135.00)

Hacker A30 10XL
Part#: HACA30-10XL
Package Information: Add an ESC:: Hacker X-40 SB Pro
(Qty: 1 x $160.00)

FlightPower 2500mAh EVO 25
EVO 25 2500mAh 4S
Part#: FP-EVO2500-4S
(Qty: 1 x $120.00)

Subtotal: $415.00
Tax: $0.00
S&H: $13.78
Final Total: $428.78

What I somewhat stubpled upon was that the Turnigy motor I bought not for the $40 I thought previously, but a mere $25 dollars! And out performed the Hacker (if just by a hair) in my thrust messurments that I did on both engines with 12 x6, 12x 8, 11 x7 props. So the Hacker Motor, ESC, and Evo 2500 battery combined were $280, which is Espirt's suggestion. My final line up was the:

1x #HXT35-48-B-900/3888 HXT 35-48-B 900kv Brushless Outrunner Eq: AXi 2826 variations = $25.95
1x #873495N-4S/6303 HobbyCity 2100 4S1P 25-35C Lipoly Pack w/ Conn variations = $41.82
and the Hacker x40pro which was part of the Esprit package deal. So what I was apparently failing at getting accross to everyone was
the Hacker combo + Evo 2500 battery Esprit sold me for $280 lost big overall to the seemed-to-cheap-to-be-true HobbyCity combo of the Turnigy 3548 B and HC 2100 battery combo I pieced together for $143 ($75 added for the Hacker ESC x40 pro)

Bottom(er) line: I found a better performing combo than suggested for these biplanes for HALF the cost. I highly recommend it.

I love this biplane! It's all kinds of enjoyment, relaxation, and adventure as I had hoped. I must admit that I get this happiness from all my planes in somewhat of an even amount, but by far my favorite Bipe to date is the late and discontinued Outrage 3D fomie by Ultrafly that I picked up for $44 bucks as it won out of the selection there at the LHS that day and I was fiending. I never thought I'd like flying biplanes at the time and now they are my favorite plane. I've had 2 Outrages, an E-flite Ultimate FX foamie, a Tensor 4D, a Fliton Rogue and now this beauty and I need to get out and fly now before the wind picks up.

I'll put up some video after I cut out all the boring stuff but I want to ask the people about using flaperon settings on these bipes, I've played around with them and have many interesting outcomes. Has anyone else done any experimenting with using flaps (so to speak) on their biplane, even flap/elevator mixing?

It better not get windy today

Ben
Old 03-27-2008, 05:55 PM
Don M.

Well I finally got a good day and maiden the Python today. It was a bit breezy ( 10 - 15 mph ) but I got in 3 flights. I'm using 2 - 3S2100's in parrallel and it gave me 10 mins. with a 13 - 6.5 prop no problem. So I guess I'll pick up a couple 3S4200's and get rid of the 2 batteries. Vertical was basically unlimited for the first 5 mins. and then still quite good after that.

I still have to devise some better way of getting the battery in and out. It is a real pain and I broke off a former today trying to do it. What kind of arrangement is everyone else using ??

Name:	Li20879.jpg
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	915143   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95863.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	915144  
Old 03-27-2008, 06:16 PM
jumper666

Don M., what is that white stuff in the picture? We are in the 80's in the DAL/FTW area.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:59 PM
Don M.

My friend I was in Las Vegas around the end of June '06 and I would have loved to have some of that "white stuff" around. It was between 115 - 120F when we were there and never, never again.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:34 PM
jrwilliams27

Good to hear your maiden went well. I'm looking forward to flying this plane again sometime soon. It does pretty well in the wind, it is just those side gusts that can cause a problem on occasion.

I just deal with the tightness. I have not broken anything, yet. I found that one hand behind the wing and one hand in front of the wing works best for me.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:00 PM
SackOHammers

I guess I have small enough hands (they're in some of the pictures). Plus, as you can tell in the second-to-last assembly picture, my battery is moved fairly far aft. I don't have too much of a problem.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:13 PM
Don M.

Just for fun the next time you have a battery in it and the canopy off take a pic and let me see how you have it fastened in.

I'm trying to talk my wife into allowing me to hire a young female assistant with small hands to help at the field. She said that if I had any money left after the divorce I could do as I wish [X(]
Old 11-07-2008, 12:26 PM
RCAA
My Feedback: (4)

Hey guys, I have a (first electric) Parkzone T-28 and am seriously thinking of buying another electric. I'm impressed with the Pitts Python, especially after reading this thread. Which one would you consider the best? I'm not a novice as I've been flying nitro RC for more than 20 years. I presently own a Funtana 90 (YS 110), Reactor (OS 70 surpass) and a GSP Extra 300S ( Saito 150) besides my one electric. [8D]

E-flite or ZeroGravity ? ? ? ? ? I'm leaning toward the ZeroGravity and which motor as I was thinking of the Reaper GR35 and the Hacker 55SB Pro ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.