Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes
Reload this Page >

Help me decide Eflite Mini Pulse XT or Extra 260 3D 480

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Help me decide Eflite Mini Pulse XT or Extra 260 3D 480

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 08:58 PM
BoysToys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me decide Eflite Mini Pulse XT or Extra 260 3D 480

Can someone who has experience with these two planes help me out a little. I have only been flying electric planes for about two months now. However, I have been flying electric helicopters, T-Rex 450 and T-Rex 500, for over a year. I got hooked on planes when I flew my friend's Electristar trainer. My first plane was a trusty GWS Slow Stick built with a Tower Pro 2410-9y brushless motor using Thunder Power 3s 1320 packs. I built that about two months ago and it is very relaxing to fly after a couple of rounds with my helicopters. I also like the fact that so far they are much cheaper than my helicopters.

About two weeks ago, I purchased a Pakrzone T-28 Trojan. I was going to get a Mini Pulse at first but decided that I had better start out with a foam plane first. I was unsure of my ability to land and did not want to total a balsa plane my first time out. The first 3 or 4 times I flew it were alot of fun. I was flying inverted figure 8s on the second pack, my previous helicopter experiance really helped out. I now have about 10 flights on it, and about 30 uneventful landings, and want it to do more that it physically can. Don't get me wrong, it is fun to fly, but I really want it roll faster and be able to climb vertically while spinning/rolling. Because of this, I am looking at adding another model to my garage.

I am attempting to decide between the Mini Pulse and the Extra 260 3D 480. If I go with the MP, I will build it with the 480 motor to start out with. I have seen some videos of it setup like this and it looks ballistic. I know I wont need all that power right away, but it will save me some cash later when I do want to upgrade. I am also looking at the Extra 260 3D 480 setup but don't know much about it. I know that the Extra is more of a 3D plane but how is it as a sport flyer? Either plane will most likely be setup using an Eflite 480 motor, Castle Creations Thunderbird 36A ESC, 4 Hitec HS-55 servos, a Dimension Engineering SportBEC, and will use my existing Fligth Power Evo 35 3s 2170 packs until I can get a hold of some nice 3s 1800 packs to save on weight.

Can anyone help me out?? Thanks
Old 04-04-2008, 10:05 AM
GoldKraft

Default RE: Help me decide Eflite Mini Pulse XT or Extra 260 3D 480

Im going to throw you a bit of a curve here in my recommendation. Go with the Mini Ultra Stick / 480 combo if you want some sick crazy fun. Dont get me wrong ...the Mini Pulse is a nice plane and rocks with the 480 ...but it cant touch the MUS for fun factor. I have the MUS and the Pulse and never leave the MUS behind when I go fly. I have just upgraded my MUS to quad flaps and am having a blast with that....high speed dives...hit crow function about 50 feet off the deck and make a short steep landing right at my feet.

Now if you want to move on to 3d the 260 might be your plane. Im ordering a Precision Aerobatics Extra 260 next month. More $ than the eflght but its bigger and about the same wieght....also has carbon fiber in the air frame for strenght.

The MUS and the 260 are completely different birds so together they will give me a good variety of crazy.

I also plan to do a couple of 3d foamies just to work on 3d stuff with out the worry of crashing and losing a high $ plane while learning.

May not have exactly answered you question but thats where I am now with my progression.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:35 PM
BoysToys

Thanks for the reply. I have heard good things about the MUS. I am just having a hard time with the way it looks. I really like the scale look of both the MP and the 260. I am not ready or skilled enough to get into 3D any time soon. So now it looks like I have it narrowed down to the MP and MUS. I think that either of those two planes will keep me happy for quite some time.

Do you have both the MP and the MUS? Do you have the 480 in your MUS? What kind of verticle do you get with it and how quickly will it roll? Thanks again for help.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:35 PM
GoldKraft

I have both the MUS and the MP. The MUS has the 480 in it . It has unlimited vertical and it rolls like a drill bit on high rate...probably 2 per sec...its fast. Snap rolls are quick and wild. It leaps into the air in less than 10 ft. What I really like about it is that you can really slow it down to a crawl if you want to...very versatile . Also if its trimmed and balanced right it will fly inverted with no down input needed at all. The one down side is that
I only get about 8min flights with a 2250 lipo and thats with only about 50% at WOT. You want be sorry if you go with the MUS...it even impressed my dad ...an old nitro guy from way back.

Now in all fairness , I am running the 450 on the MP. Its more of my fly and look pretty plane. Handles well but always leaves me wanting more. I may throw a spare 480 I have in it eventually but right now Im content to let it look pretty and get 12min flights out of it. It would not be any more challanging for you than your T28 IMO.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:45 PM
mandtra
My Feedback: (29)

you may want to consider a eflite edge 540 profile. It will fly very slow if you want, and do any 3-D trick if you want with a eflite 450 outrunner and a TP1320 3c. Also a mini Funtana X with the SFG's are fun to fly with a 480 and 2100 3c
Old 04-05-2008, 12:43 PM
ZX11

You should skip those two since you already have a park flyer. Get the Pulse XT 40 and set it up with electric power. Unfortunately, it will cost the same as a Trex 450 to set up in electric.

If you have to have a small balsa, I go for the great looks of the MP. The MP is a great sport flyer. If a small hyper flyer is needed, skip the MUS and just put your trex back in the air.

Have you looked at youtube video of both planes flying? Might help you decide.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:11 PM
BoysToys

ORIGINAL: ZX11

You should skip those two since you already have a park flyer.
I am actually going to sell the T-28 to a friend of mine so I will only have the MP and my Slow Stick. The T-28 just won't do what I want it to do and I don't want to dump money into it only to find out that it still will not fly how I want it to.

Get the Pulse XT 40 and set it up with electric power. Unfortunately, it will cost the same as a Trex 450 to set up in electric.
That is more than I want to spend on a plane right now. If I was looking to spend antother $1000-$1500 on a new model, I would be building a T-Rex 600.

If you have to have a small balsa, I go for the great looks of the MP. The MP is a great sport flyer.
This is what I have decided to do. I am going to go down to my LHS later today and order everything I will need.

If a small hyper flyer is needed, skip the MUS and just put your trex back in the air.
I am going to contine to fly both of my T-Rexs. I am just on a plane kick right now becuase all of the guys I fly with only fly planes.

I have watched videos of both planes and the MP looks more like what I want. I don't have any plans on getting into 3D with this plane. I just want a nice smooth, fast, capable, good looking sport flyer.
Thanks for all the help. I will report back in a week are two and my new MP is flying!

Old 04-05-2008, 05:26 PM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

Definetely go with the Extra 260 3D with E-flite 480 motor. I have this set up and it flies great. Just make sure you have it properly balanced. You can't go wrong.

I also have the E-flite Profile 540 Edge. It flies slow very nicely and you can learn 3D stuff when you are ready. I've been flying it in 20 mph and does great (although it's a little scary when landing). I fly it with an E-flite Park 450 outrunner and a 2100 mah, 11.1v li-po.

Been flying a Parkzone Typhoon since they first came out and have learned to fly it well.

The above three planes give me plenty of variety and challenges. I'm never bored.

Jmir

Old 04-05-2008, 07:25 PM
BoysToys

Well it is a done deal. I went down to my LHS and bought a Park 480 motor and an Eflite 40A esc today. I also ordered a Mini Pulse XT ARF, four HS-55 servos, and an Ar6100. Hopefully everything will be here by Wednesday or Thursday so I can fly it on Saturday or Sunday. Thanks for all of the help.

jmir- I was seriously considering the Extra 260 but decided to go with the more docile Mini Pulse. I don't have any desire right now to do 3D with a plane, that is what my helicopters are for. I think that the MP will keep me happy for a while. I bought good electronics so I can transfer them to another plane down the road if I choose.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:14 PM
GoldKraft

Glad you got it sorted out....the MP with the 480 should be a alot of fun. It will look good in the air for sure! I use the ar6200 in mine as Its really
not a true park flyer ....needs more room than a small park with the 450 on it let alone the 480.