Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Park 480 and Mini Ultra Stick

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 02:11 AM
Dunwoody

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Park 480 and Mini Ultra Stick

Hi

I am building my Mini Ultra Stick with quad flaps, six servos, a Phoenix 35 ESC, a seperate BEC, and a Park 480 motor. The plate for the 480 is bigger than the hole pattern on the firewall. What have others done? Just drill new holes? Use the outrunner stick mount? Reverse the shaft and mount it inside? Forget the X mount and mount it directly on the wood?

I am curious what others have done.

How nose heavy am I likely to be? Should I plan to mount the receiver behind the tail servos?

Thank you.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:57 PM
patnchris

Default RE: Park 480 and Mini Ultra Stick

I think that with that set up you will be way nose heavy. I flew mine with the 480, originally, and really didn't like the way it flew. It had gobs of power, but required a healthy battery to go with the motor. The additional weight of the bigger motor and battery, made the plane too heavy, for me. It kindda depends on your flying style. If you want to fly it like a warbird, you'll like it. I switched back to the Park 450 and even backed off to a 3S 1500 battery. I have almost unlimited vertical and it does almost anyting I can throw at it......
As far as mounting the 480, as I remember, the first time I used the X mount from the 450. The second time I redrilled the holes in the firewall and used nuts with washers.....Pat
Old 05-20-2008, 11:08 PM
GoldKraft

I just filled the original holes with epoxy and redrilled...no big deal. I have the very setup that you are doing. I fly with a 2100mh lipo pushed as far back on the tray as the wing will allow...about 1/2 way back and the the esc and bec are in the mid section of the plane. I added a dubro 40 tailwheel and the balance was perfect. I can tell you right now with the quad flaps deployed in full crow the plane will crawl along and hang like a kite in 10mph winds. Pull the flaps in and she will dive to 75mph in nothing flat. Unlimited vertical....oh yeah....I love to just gun it right off the ground with about a 1 foot roll and go straight up rolling to 500ft or so and watch the look on the glow guys faces....priceless.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:41 AM
wedgewing

I am going with Pat's comment. I use the 480, I mount the engine directly to the firewall with washers and have flown it for two years without issues.

I have seen some concerned about weight yet, the 480 weighs 87g (3.1 oz) and the 450 Weighs 72g (2.5 oz). it is an ounce so I have not seen a difference between them when it comes to weight IMHO. The plane will fly fine with the 450 and flies great with the 480. I use the 910kv, 40 amp esc, and a TP 3S 2100 prolite and the plane either floats nicely at slow speed or becomes the devil when you open the throttle.

no need to move the receiver either. I had it more weight forward in the beginning, but have moved the CG back as my confidence grew with the plane. very nimble and fast plane. hope you enjoy it