Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

GreatPlanes Cherokee ARF

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 12:55 AM
wyldbill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GreatPlanes Cherokee ARF

Just had to have it!!!!......but, NOW WHAT??? She looks great just making a shadow on the ground but now I've got to put some guts into her. The hobby shop tech suggested, and I bought, an EFLIGHT Power 46 motor (670 kv) and, finding out later, the minimum prop size is a 12x8, not the 10x5 to 11x5 as listed on the planes tech notes.....not much ground clearance....should I change motors?) Flying weight is suppose to be 6.75 to 7.5 lbs. I want to use a LiPo 18.5 V 4200mAh battery which should do well. My reciever is a Hitech Supreme IIS and it may be the flight pack batt. is too low, but my JR 8103 and the reciever aren't talking (using a hitech crystal and the right freq.) Can someone identify the "HITECH" channel numbers to rudder. aileron, flaps, elevator. throttle, etc???? JR lists these for IDIOTS like me. .....other than that, she's a great looking bird!!!!!......wyldbill
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93170.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	982576  
Old 07-03-2008, 02:23 PM
MAKODS

Default RE: GreatPlanes Cherokee ARF

I fly the E-flight 46 in two planes, a Nextstar and a Pulse XT. I use 11 x 7 APC props on both with no problem and I'm sure you could also.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:14 PM
wyldbill

Thank you, Mikods, I didn't want to burn up a nice motor slinging a potentially smaller prop than what was listed for the Power 46. I was starting to really grit my teeth when I found about this a few days ago. Thanks again!!!.....wyldbill
Old 07-07-2008, 04:42 PM
patnchris

You will never burn up a motor by running a smaller prop. For the record, I swing a 14 X 7 with my Power 46 on 5S, pulling slightly over 900 watts at full throttle. I would question whether you could get enough thrust to take advantage of the Power 46 with an 11 or 12 inch prop......Pat
Old 07-10-2008, 12:50 AM
wyldbill

Thanks Pat, I suppose I'll have to work within the perameters and see what happens. Finally got my rec/tans talking with each other, so now I can start getting my sevo stuff done.....should have enough to get a batt for her next week....just got an eflight taylorcraft yesterday. Going to try a maiden 2marrow or the next day. I'll post back again once I am ready to launch the Cherokee -wyldbill
Old 09-15-2008, 02:28 AM
wyldbill

Maiden'D my Cherokee last week and man did she fly great!!! Tons of power using a 4s 4400mAh. Propped with an 11X7. I had to make a small extension for the ESC, to go thru the firewall so that I wouldn't need to pull the cowling to get the batt hooked up to it. (the ESC power wires were a bit short). Anyhow, I wanted to put some pics up for everyone who might be interested. As it is, she is a sport/scale and not an "acrobatic", she'll do loops, the rolls were long and graceful having to put in some elevator to keep her on track as she wanted to lose some altitude, and the flaps work like a charm to slow her up a bit for the landing. Roll-outs were long, but she weighs in at a touch over 7 lbs. Low flybys were just AWESOME. She needed to have some rudder inputs while she was in her banking turns to help pull the nose around. I am personally happy with her, and can't wait to get her airborne again.....where she belongs!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54152.jpg
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	1033750   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25487.jpg
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	1033751   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30237.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	1033752   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm29520.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	1033753  
Old 09-26-2008, 07:02 PM
tundraman

ORIGINAL: wyldbill

Maiden'D my Cherokee last week and man did she fly great!!! Tons of power using a 4s 4400mAh. Propped with an 11X7. I had to make a small extension for the ESC, to go thru the firewall so that I wouldn't need to pull the cowling to get the batt hooked up to it. (the ESC power wires were a bit short). Anyhow, I wanted to put some pics up for everyone who might be interested. As it is, she is a sport/scale and not an "acrobatic", she'll do loops, the rolls were long and graceful having to put in some elevator to keep her on track as she wanted to lose some altitude, and the flaps work like a charm to slow her up a bit for the landing. Roll-outs were long, but she weighs in at a touch over 7 lbs. Low flybys were just AWESOME. She needed to have some rudder inputs while she was in her banking turns to help pull the nose around. I am personally happy with her, and can't wait to get her airborne again.....where she belongs!!

Looks sweet wyldbill! My Cherokee is on back order until October at Tower Hobbies. I cant wait!
Old 10-05-2008, 12:25 AM
wyldbill

THANXS Tundraman....Got her back into the air October 1st for my dad....he'd not seen her fly and is an avid RC fan. A REAL dream come true for me, in that, it was his interest in this hobby that pulled me in to it. As it were, he got to witness his son fly several aircraft that day, maiden'g two. He doesn't fly anymore, reflexes have taken their toll.....but to see that grand ole smile on his face, Well life IS good!!!....Let me know when you get your Cherokee and if I can be of some help to you.....please let me know. -wb
Old 06-06-2011, 12:06 AM
Kostas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey there!

I used an APC 12x8 on my Saito FA-80.

While the engine is inverted....

Check my assembly thread here : [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10419268]GreatPlanes Cherokee 40 ARF assembly thread![/link]

I am sure it will help you out!!!

Kostas1