Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes
Reload this Page >

World Models P-51D Mustang "EP" 49 Inch Wing Span

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

World Models P-51D Mustang "EP" 49 Inch Wing Span

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2021, 12:55 AM
guapoman2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It is perhaps one of the best RC Airplane Models that I have in my fleet. The closest second is the Hangar9 P-51D Progressive Training Series (PTS) converted over to Electric as both of these models share a common positive trait and that is Low Wing Loading which provides ZERO bad habits for the RC flyer.

You see the model in a different light and at times in amazement with the appreciation of the design in mind for light wing loading to really make it shine up in the air.

Oh, I ordered the Stock Strut Covers and a brand new Cowling to give it that extra appreciation factor! LOL!

Old 10-09-2021, 02:30 AM
guapoman2000

Guys!

I can't believe it has been so long ago since I purchased and started building this model! (November 12th, 2008)
https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/sho...52&postcount=1

What I posted back then, still rings true today and that was

I actually did not purchase this model because of it's scale detail but, rather it's Light construction and strong assembly up front where it counts unlike some E-Flite models that have honeycomb Frontal Fire walls. This Mustang has a solid Plywood mount with screw retainer inserts already drilled in for the World Models recommended Plastic Mount for their Outrunner Brushless motor.
Old 10-09-2021, 06:12 AM
guapoman2000

Guys,

A few have PMed me about the actual weight of my model and have just completed a Weigh-In session and here is the results!

Total Flight Ready weight: 2.922 lbs.

Just amazing for a 49 inch wing span Mustang!Name:  eek.gif
Views: 82
Size:  1.0 KB

No wonder it slows down super slow and of course it didn't need any flaps in the design from factory.Name:  wink.gif
Views: 87

Therefore, the E-Flite 15-25 size servo-less retracts didn't add any weight beyond the already weight of the stock mechanicals and HS-81MG servo in comparison. Name:  smile.gif
Views: 82

Old 10-09-2021, 10:52 AM
guapoman2000

Okay guys,

Decal Sheet and Air Scoop was ordered as well to keep this model in top Eye Candy looks!

1. Previous order on 10-7-2021 the Cowling was ordered because on the Maiden flight back in November 2008 the model had a hard landing.

2. Air Scoop for today's order is because the present Air Scoop sustained Textile Runway black marks because Stock Mechanical Retracts didn't hold on a recent flight (Before the Servo-Less Retract Modification) and nothing I use can take off these marks so, a new one was ordered.

3. Decal sheet was ordered because want to dress up the new Cowling.

4. Landing Gear Covers - self explanatory!

Old 10-09-2021, 11:04 AM
guapoman2000

Guys,

I almost ordered from Callie Graphics as I had thought that Airborne-Models didn't have the decal sheet and behold they did.

I found this following Video from Captain Ryan very useful and entertaining and wanted to share with all of you in case you need to figure out the scale of your model.

North American P-51D Mustang had a 37 Foot wing span which equates to 444 inches.

My model in this thread has 49 inches of wing span thereby,

444" / 49" = 9.06 "or" 1:9 ratio "or" 1/9th scale

Old 10-11-2021, 01:42 AM
guapoman2000

Sunday morning at the RC Club field allowed two (2) wonderful flights back to back of my World Models P-51D 40 EP Mustang.

There was a slight breeze but, it was steady and no gusty winds.

Was able to record two (2) Flight Videos of the model and the first landing was a complete stall from perhaps 2 feet off the deck and very pleased of these E-Flite 15-25 size retracts being able to take the punishment and of course the low bounce rubber scale tires. If these were the stock mechanical retracts I would be replacing the mechanical servo as it would have stripped by now.

In any case, here's the videos: