RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-aerobatic-sport-planes-144/)
-   -   E-Flite Mini Pulse XT Owner's Club (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-aerobatic-sport-planes-144/4692202-e-flite-mini-pulse-xt-owners-club.html)

hobby-plane-rc 12-16-2006 03:19 PM

RE: E-Flite Mini Pulse XT Owner's Club

The MFX can be a blast to fly,on low rated this thing can be flown much like the MUS and MP with much more controll athority!!And oh man.........on high rates this thing turnes into a all out 3D machine.. Rolling harriers are a little tough but once you get the hang of it youll fall in love wiht that trick.Harries are great with this plane especially when the plane is rite in front of you.The list goes on with 3D and high alpha manuvers this thing does, bzizzi check out the 3D foroums.Theirs a thread on thier that takes you step by step on how to do manuvers like parachutes,harriers,blenders etc...... Its eaither the 4th or 5th thread on their, that should be a big help for you (well at least it was for me).Happy flying:D

bzizzi 12-17-2006 01:53 AM

I have been working with some 3D pilots locally and they really helped me out
with the MFX set up and made it a blast to fly.You should see what these guys can do
with a 3D plane,they are awesome.

Ken Cz 12-17-2006 01:08 PM

Does anyone for a source for Mini Pulse for less than the standard $99.95 at the LHS's?
[:@]

hobby-plane-rc 12-17-2006 02:37 PM

Try ebay.

rc302 12-17-2006 06:01 PM

yeh but the problem with ebay is you may not get what your paying for when it comes to spending 79 on ebay or 99 at the local hobby shop and see what your buying ill spend the littel extra to know for sure

Ken Cz 12-17-2006 07:43 PM

RC302,
I think you are right. for $10 or $20 more you buy it at the LHS and have someone to go back to if you have problems like missing or damaged parts.
Plus there are a lot of scam artists out there.
Just ran into one on RC Universe For sale ads. She just vanished off the forum as I was about to buy from her (again, 'prices that sound too good to be true probably are"). Found the same plane on another listing there, different email, but same person (blog and location were a 'copy paste") and the ad had a big "suspended member" banner across it.

Be wary of a seller going by 'fly till you die' or ' remote control authoites'.
She refused to give me ship from address or even a phone number - ignored all my questions and sent me 2 Paypal payment requested notices that I did not ask for and for more items than we even talked about - like a $170.00 radio!

Doc Austin 12-17-2006 08:02 PM

Ebay is ok if you can steal something. That's the only time it's worth a risk. Funny thing is, I saw one guy with a 99% rating and over 36,000 transactions. Three people said he was a crook and 35, 997 loved the guy. Go figure.

Even if you save a few dollars on a Pulse, you're going to pay about $10 or so for shipping. lots of these vendors count on making $5 or so on shipping, so don't think you're getting a deal. This doesn't count any Ebay or paypal fees.

I buy my planes from my LHS because, first, I support my LHS. They treat me pretty well, and since I also support them by sending them business, they cut me a break every so often. I also get to inspect the plane very carefully for damage, and even if i miss something, when I do discover it I can take it back and they swap it out for me.

Sooooooooo, I have really been beating the snot out of my Mini Pulse. I am wailing on that thing, but she seems to thrive on it. I've gone past the limit more than a few times and always managed to reel her back in, but the day is definately coming when I won't be so fortunate. I'm pushing the plane extremely hard, and when I inevitably biff it, I'll scrape up what's left and put it in a new mini Pulse.

One thing I cannot overstate is how much the extrra power and weight of the 480/2100 package helped this plane. It took the Pulse from ordinaryto an absolute blast to fly. With the extra gut-wrenching torque on hand, I can pull some really crazy antics, hit the power and fly out. We got some video today, but it's 260meg. I'll try to edit it down and post it in a few days.

rc302 12-17-2006 08:31 PM

RC Universe yeh iam for a deal but they have alot of scamer on there i listed my 2 parkzone warbirds on there and man the email scamer where right on that crap ill send you a cashier check you send me cash BS scam was on there for more then a hour before i started getting the emails LOL

Capt. John 12-17-2006 08:54 PM

ORIGINAL: bexusflexus

Don't know if this has been addressed but I would like to get some sim time on the MPXT or a plane like it. I have G3.5, but it doesn't have this model. Are there any models currently part of Realflight that flies like the MPXT? I was thinking maybe the Electric version of the Spacewalker, the Ryan, or perhaps the Cap232 w/rates dialed down?

What do you guys think?

bexusflexus:

I managed to maiden my Mini Pulse today and I think I can give you a better opinion on the Real Flight planes as comparison. I have the 450 motor and it does not fly fast, about the same as 3/4 throttle on the Cap 232 Electric. It is maybe the same speed as the Spacewalker Electric. However, it is more responsive to maneuvering than the Spacewaker, again more in line with the Cap 232.
The Cap, at LOW rates is comparable to the Pulse at HIGH rates, but keep the speed on the Cap down to be more accurate to the speed of the 450 motor.

I did NOT have a problem slowing this motor down for landing. In fact, in view of the other information on this thread, I allowed lots of room for it to slow down, lowered the throttle, and it stalled. I barely was able to add power in time to pull it out of a nose first landing. It landed hard, but fortunately, on soft ground and grass next to the asphalt runway, and there was no damage. The more experienced electric pilot who was checking me and the Pulse out, said that this motor would need to hold some power till over the runway, and almost in front of us, then gently pull back on throttle and ease it in. It should have no problem slowing down for landing. So maybe this is a concern only for the larger motors, like the 480.

The Ryan STA doesn'f feel the same. However, my opinion is to practice on Real Flight with a plane that is slightly more advanced than the one you're getting ready to fly. That way, your reaction times will be quicker when you fly the real one.

Good luck. I'd be interested to see how you feel after you maiden her.

Fliprob17 12-18-2006 12:29 AM

ORIGINAL: rc302

yeh but the problem with ebay is you may not get what your paying for when it comes to spending 79 on ebay or 99 at the local hobby shop and see what your buying ill spend the littel extra to know for sure
Like Doc said, if you can get it for way under retail price it is worth it. I have bought 5 planes from one company. They photograph everything so you know exactly what you are getting before you bid. Most is slightly damaged, but easily repairable. When I am really itching for a plane, I will buy it new. But it is always fun to fix them too.

Doc Austin 12-18-2006 12:42 AM

The more I fly the Pulse the easier it is to get it slowed down. At first it would just float and float, and I could barely get it down. Now I just turn onto final, let the nose drop and then pull it out at about three feet. Once it levels off, the drag in the airframe slows it right down. If I really wnt to push it, I will turn it really hard onto final and let it sink from the turn scrubbing the speed off. This would be suicide with a lot of planes because they would just give up and fall out of the air, but the Pulse has a semi-symetrical airfoil, which I think is the best one for sport flying. .

I'm not sure if this is because I'm learning more about the plane, or if it really needed the extra weight of the 480 engine and 2100 battery. The Pulse is extremely forgiving, especially with the saftey net of all the torque the 480 carries. My first two examples were 450/1320, and they were really lightweight planes. I think the plane takes a much better set when you flare it out at the heavier weight. I can also get a little more daring slowing it down beause I've got lots of grunt to sav it with with the big engine.

From the beginning with the newest plane, I was much more comfortable with it. I think the first two planes were just too light and didn't have enough weight to penetrate. they sort of floated around. It's hard to imagine an airplane can be too light, but the Pulse definately flies better with more weight.

Doc Austin 12-18-2006 04:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the final verdict on the Mini Pulse XT:

The way E Flite recommends the plane it isn't the plane for me......but it isn't aimed at me either. It's aimed at the Sunday sport flier who wants to cruise around the field in a very stable, attractive plane.

However, with the monsterous 480 motor and heavier 2100 battery pack, the Mini Pulse is transformed into an explosive aerobatic performer that's nearly as outrageous as a mini Ultra stick in some way, and even more outrageous in others.

The Ultra has a symetrical airfoil which is faster than the Pulse's semi-symetrical airfoil. It performs the same inverted as it does upright, so there's two of the Ultra's advantages. however, the Pulse is cleaner with it's coweled motor, so I'de say they would be pretty close in a race. Where the Pulse really outshines the Ultra is in low speed manuevers because it produces more lift and recovers from a stall more quiclky. This means you can drag the Pulse around at the edge of a stall, and if you go too far all you have to do is let the nose drop a bit and you'll get control right back. You have to be more careful with the Pulse when you're inverted because it doesn't perform that way as well as the Min does with it's symetrical airfoil, but after a few flights you get used to it and it's no big deal. It's a good trade off for having a plane that has such good slow speed manners when upright.

The biggest negative I had with the entire project was that awful spinner, but a nice Dubro works really well and they are only about $5. I like the plane so much that I didn't mind spending that extra money to make it right.

The average guy will put a 450 in the plane and he will love it because it is nice and docile and it looks teriffic. It's a fun plane to do touch and goes with because it's great to bring it in really close and way it fly by. It's just a teriffic looking plane. it will do all trhe aerobatics a sport flier will want to do, and even some advanced manuevers like knife edge flight, though with all that diherdal it's a little trickey. The Mini Pulse is smooth and confidence inspiring, and like i aw, the average guy will love the plane just the way e flite tells them to put it together.

But, with the 480 and heavier 2100 pack, the plane is an aerobatic monster. She will bolt straight up and soar right out of sight if you aren't careful. Coupled with the semi-symetrical airfoil, you can use the 480s extra grunt to get really slow right down on the deck confident that you have enough lift and enough power to save all but the most egregious of mistakes. The power makes this sweet little plane come alive.

Until E flite or Hangar 9 comes out with something better, the Mini Pulse with the 480 motor is my favorite plane.

No matter which way you build it, she's a fine little airplane. E Flite has hit another home run.

More Pulse insanity.

Fliprob17 12-18-2006 05:35 PM

Right on, nice final Doc.

I am extremely excited to get his plane in the air on Christmas. I have the 480 1020kv and 2100mah setup, and just testing it, it is a screamer. It sounds like this will be a good first balsa/ply plane. I have 2 MUS's waiting, so once I get the Pulse down, they are next. I have done so many tests on props, and just about everyone has recommended the 10x7 SlowFly or 10x7E. I have an APC 10x7 SlowFly, and it is pulling from 24.5 - 25 amps at full throttle and somewhere around 8.5 amps at half. I also have an APC 11x7 SlowFly, it is pulling 27.5 - 28 amps at full throttle and 10 amps at half. I think I am going to go with the 11x7 SF for the first few flights so it will allow me to come in at a little lower throttle setting, and hopefully help slow her down. Once I get use to it I will go to the 11x7E or 10x7 SF to pick up a little more speed.

Nice pic by the way. Did you get that video figured out yet?

divergoff 12-18-2006 06:12 PM

Hi all, I currently fly a stock EFlite P-47 and I'm in the market for something new and more sporty. Is this my plane,w/ the park 450 and 3 cell 2100mah lipo?

Fliprob17 12-18-2006 06:18 PM

I think this is the plane........but I would get the Park 480 1020kv motor!!! You might want to look at the Mini Ultra Stick too, with either the 450 or 480. It is a bit wilder and aerobatic.

firestick52 12-18-2006 08:00 PM

Gents,

Need advice. My MUS is flying high alpha- trying to climb- won't fly level. CG is right on. Could it be that ailerons are set wrong? I have a hard time figuring out where neutral is on this wing. Anybody have any suggestions?

Fliprob17 12-18-2006 08:33 PM

If both of the ailerons are set 'up', like flaps would be, then that could be an issue. It would put down force on the back of the wing, forcing the nose up. But if one was slightly off from the other you would be going left or right and not up. Just check that they are aligned the way they should be when sticks are neutral, and check the same on your elevator. Last resort, check the angle of the motor shaft.

Doc Austin 12-18-2006 09:31 PM

ORIGINAL: fliprob17

Once I get use to it I will go to the 11x7E or 10x7 SF to pick up a little more speed.
I'm using the 11/7E APXC prop. I suggest you just go with that. Ground clearance is ok and speed is really good. Acceleration is awesome, and probably the most fun thing about the whole package.

Did you get that video figured out yet?
Still working on it, but we're hoping to get more. I don't have a way to edit it. If you know how to do it I can send it to you on a CD.

rc302 12-18-2006 11:25 PM

iam sorry for the change of subject but could someone please tell me the cheapest you heard a parkzone p51 and fw190 go for brand new from a hobby shop or a dealer on the net iam selling both of mine ready to fly - my lipos for 200.00 he said he could buy them new for 108.00 dose anyone know if this is true if so please send me a msg because ill just keep them i cant give them away thanks

Fliprob17 12-18-2006 11:29 PM

http://www.redrockethobbies.com/Park...anes_s/297.htm

$179.99 each at Redrocket hobbies.

$145.99 each brand new on E-Bay

rc302 12-18-2006 11:33 PM

thank you that what i thought

firestick52 12-19-2006 10:21 AM

Gents,

Thanks for the quick reply on my climbing problem. I must say I just love the new little Pulse. I put a 450 on mine, its plenty fast and climbs with authority. I fly my MUS with a 450 also. Just got the new FuntanaX Mini. That gets the 480 I had on my old mini funtana, which was a great plane until I put it into a tree.

E-Flite planes are just fabulous. I've also found that the Super Sportster in G3.5 flies just like the Pulse. Get the electric version on the G3 website.

Doc Austin 12-19-2006 03:41 PM

We're making up some Pulse and Mini Pulse T-shirts. We'll have to see if there are any copyright problems, but once we sort that out we'll make the shirts available to Pulse owners pretty reasonably.

Capt. John 12-19-2006 03:49 PM

ORIGINAL: firestick52

Gents,

Thanks for the quick reply on my climbing problem. I must say I just love the new little Pulse. I put a 450 on mine, its plenty fast and climbs with authority. I fly my MUS with a 450 also. Just got the new FuntanaX Mini. That gets the 480 I had on my old mini funtana, which was a great plane until I put it into a tree.

E-Flite planes are just fabulous. I've also found that the Super Sportster in G3.5 flies just like the Pulse. Get the electric version on the G3 website.
Firestick.....can you give me a comparison between the Mini FuntanaX and the Pulse XT? I have only just maidened my Pulse, but also have a new glow FuntanaX50 that I have not had a chance to fly yet. But I saw the Mini FuntanaX at the LHS and thought it might be a good "next" electric. I also see now that there is a new Mini Cap 232 electric that I'll have to consider.

Any thougthts? I have been flying about a year and a half, and would consider myself a "low-intermediate" pilot. And I practice alot on Real Flight 3.5.

Fliprob17 12-19-2006 04:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Doc Austin

We're making up some Pulse and Mini Pulse T-shirts. We'll have to see if there are any copyright problems, but once we sort that out we'll make the shirts available to Pulse owners pretty reasonably.
Ha :D That's pretty cool.