RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-aerobatic-sport-planes-144/)
-   -   E-Flite Mini Pulse XT Owner's Club (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-aerobatic-sport-planes-144/4692202-e-flite-mini-pulse-xt-owners-club.html)

Doc Austin 10-14-2006 09:26 PM

RE: E-Flite Mini Pulse XT Owner's Club

ORIGINAL: jmir

Dog Austin,

This is the other E-flite I'm considering instead of the Pulse

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL2425

I'll probably have one of those too. They've been busy at E Flite, haven't they? I'de think the Funtana X is more of an extreme plane and the Pulse is more of a Sunday Fier.

Fliprob17 10-16-2006 01:59 PM

Weather here has been a little crappy, so I did not get to fly the Pulse this past weekend, so I will most likely get my maiden in this weekend. That will give me some more time to mess with the ESC and battery positioning, and really check the amp draw with the 480 and the 11x7E. I will post results when I have time to hook up the power meter. So far I just like starring at it :eek:. Really a great looking plane.

Fliprob17 10-17-2006 12:09 AM

The Funtana X definitely looks to be more x-treme than the Mini Pulse, it also has the wing fillets for the total x-treme experience.

I hooked up the power meter today. I am only pulling 23 amps on the 480 1020kv with an APC 11x7E and all servos moving. So I will go ahead with the maiden flight with this prop and most likely try out the 12x6 and 12x7E's next week. What a screamer this motor is though [:-] Finally finished positioning everything and screwing in the canopy as suggested by Doc Austin. Definitely a much better look. Wound up tucking the ESC under the battery compartment and insulating the bottom of the battery compartment from any heat the ESC may put out.

Fliprob17 10-17-2006 05:07 PM

I also ran into the same problems with the spinner. You can't tighten down the prop nut without deforming the spinner, and then the cap does not fit on right. So I am going without for now. I am going to try and get a Dubro, but even still the prop adapter does not appear to be long enough for the spinner. It just does not have enough thread left for the prop nut. So I will probably have to order a new prop adapter if I go that route. At the same time I was thinking about cooling the motor. The spinner blocks the hole in the cowl completely. So the only air intake to cool the motor, ESC and battery are the side vents, which basically bypass the motor. So it may be better just to do without the spinner.

dalelvn 10-19-2006 08:54 AM

I too could not get the spinner to fit. so gave up on it. using the 450 and 10X8 e-flit prop. this plane is a floater rolls are not quite axial and take about 1.5 sec per roll. inverted , just a hint of down for level flight. As i have had the MUS for a while and love that plane these two are NOT anywhere near the same plane. the pulse is a park/sunday flyer she is not extreme. the stick can be wild with same power setup. niether is better than the other. just different.

Fliprob17 10-19-2006 10:00 AM

Ya, so far the spinner is the big "kink" in the plane. They need to just package it with a DuBro for and extra $3 :D

bzizzi 10-21-2006 06:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I maidened my newly completed Mini Pulse and The Himax 2816 890 really makes it alot faster than I thought.I flew it for a good ten minutes and required only a little up elevator trimming and that was it.I really
like this plane I have three MUS and this is definately a welcome change after flying on the edge all of the time.My first landing was a perfect ROG.I used four JR SM15 servos a HiMax 2816 890,a Berg Microstamp 4
reciever, E flite Pro 25 ESC and a E-Flite 10X7 prop.I used button head screws on the canopy for a more finished look and reinforced around the landing gear with a little Epoxy and CA on everything else.I had to put a small shelf below the battery tray for the ESC also.My spinner tightens down with prop every time.I ran out of daylight and had to land but will fly again on Sunday.I used the wheels from one of the MUS and it worked perfect.no wheel pants though.

jetblue2135 10-21-2006 07:41 PM

will a Hacker A30-16M work with this plane? could it mount on the X motor mount that comes with the plane?

bzizzi 10-21-2006 10:25 PM

I had to modify the X mount that came with the kit to install the Himax,all that
I did was drill and tap two 4-40 holes in the X mount.The top two holes ligned up
with the mount.I also made two aluminum standoffs just like the ones in the kit
just in case the holes I tapped in the thin X mount stripped out.The ones I made
have a 4-40 thread on both ends so I can use flat head screws on the firewall end
and SHCS on the motor mount.I will take a photo and show you what I did.I can
still use a E flite 450 motor if I desire with the same X mount.

bzizzi 10-22-2006 11:53 AM

I flew the MP again today and It is without a doubt no MUS,the MUS snap rolls and does everything with more precision
and gets your adrenaline pumping.The MP is stable and less of a acrobatic flyer but what I really like about it is it's
ability to ROG take off and land without wanting to nose over in unmowed grass.The Pulse rolls out in this situation.
It is pretty relaxing to fly but moves right along if you want.I flew it for fifteen minutes and still had over 11volts
in the 1800mah 3cell lipo.This plane will be a welcome addition in my hanger.It is really a nice looking compared to the MUS
however it does not preform the same.I would like to find a plane that looks good and preforms like the MUS,anybody have any ideas ???

jmir 10-22-2006 01:18 PM

Yes, I think the new Funtana X will do just as good as the MUS or better.
Take a look: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL2425
I own the MUS and waiting patiently for the Funtana.

ORIGINAL: bzizzi

I flew the MP again today and It is without a doubt no MUS,the MUS snap rolls and does everything with more precision
and gets your adrenaline pumping.The MP is stable and less of a acrobatic flyer but what I really like about it is it's
ability to ROG take off and land without wanting to nose over in unmowed grass.The Pulse rolls out in this situation.
It is pretty relaxing to fly but moves right along if you want.I flew it for fifteen minutes and still had over 11volts
in the 1800mah 3cell lipo.This plane will be a welcome addition in my hanger.It is really a nice looking compared to the MUS
however it does not preform the same.I would like to find a plane that looks good and preforms like the MUS,anybody have any ideas ???

proptop 10-23-2006 06:31 AM

Crank in as much aileron, elevator, and rudder as you can get (without buzzing the servos ) and see if that helps...
Mine will snap roll quite quickly, and will do nice tight loops, but it doesn't roll as quick, but ya can't have everything I guess...

If you get used to flying a MUS or MF then they might have spioled ya :D (I know my MF will do more than 2 rolls per second )

I've been toying with the idea of cutting the Pulse's ailerons off and re-hinging them w/ blenderm tape so I can get more throw.

Fliprob17 10-23-2006 10:34 AM

For me, it is good to hear that she is a stable flyer ;) I am fairly new to balsa, so I am still wating for perfect conditions before I take her out. I have been messing around with the final setup items and making sure all channels are operating correctly. Actually had to reverse all channels except the ailerons. I am a little scared of the 480-1020kv motor though :D It seems to scream, it will definitely fly below half throttle without a problem. At full throttle it feels like it wants to rocket up like an F-16.

It is good that you are getting those flight times with an 1800 battery. Should be good to go with the 2100. Also good to hear about the grass landings. Right now I still have the wheel pants on, it looks like there is plenty of clearance for short grass, so I may stick with them and just see what happens.

bzizzi 10-23-2006 11:30 AM

When I bring it in for a landing it really glides a long ways before it slows down enough to
land unlike the MUS,make sure you line it up a long way off for a touchdown near yourself
or it will keep going way past.I almost put into a treeline because of this but the himax
motor pulled me over almost straight up before it hit a tree,so far after four flights no crashes or hard landings and it still looks like new.I am going to try mixing a little rudder
with the alerons to make it turn a little quicker.

Fliprob17 10-23-2006 12:02 PM

I figured it would take a long strip to land, just based on the wingspan and the tendency that it will give for it to glide and keep speed. I am going to try and play with the EPA on the ailerons and try to get some more throw out of them. I am sure you have already done this but this may help you as well if you have not. Even without flying it appears that there is less throw than I had expected. Mixing the rudder will definitely help. I am going to save that for once I am used to it and looking for more.

Getting out of trouble is one of the reasons I am glad I went with the 480, no problems going vertical with it.....at least mathematically ;)

proptop 10-23-2006 09:03 PM

Flip...the stock throws are adequite, but I guess I'm a bit spoiled from the Mini Funtana amd other planes (I have a glow Tribute 36 4D that rolls like a tornado :D)

If you have dual rates...use 'em so you have an option.

It lands just like the bigger one...it will take a while to slow down and you have to cut the power earlier and set up a more gentile glide slope.

SS2P 10-23-2006 11:40 PM

Jetblue, I think that a A30-16m IS TOO BIG. You might try A30-28S which is like 480, or even more powerful.

bzizzi 10-24-2006 09:03 PM

I measured my aleron travel and instead of 3/8"low rate and 1/2" full rate I had it 1/4" Lo and 3/8" Hi
I got it set correct now along with elevator and rudder.Should really help with how it responds.I am not
going to mix rudder with alerons because I dont want to get lazy with the left stick.Now all I need is for the
wind to stop blowing so I can fly again,good flying weather is going away fast !!

Fliprob17 10-24-2006 11:56 PM

I wound up with the same throw on the ailerons that you did - 1/4" and 3/8", way off from where it should be. We have been having the same deal with the wind here. Calm during the week but has been 20mph plus on the weekends, same deal for this weekend [:@]

I wound up ditching the wheel pants, and drilled out the gear to accept the bolt required to hold my 2-1/4" fatties. Much better, shouldn't have any problems at all with just about any length of grass now. I have a 1" tailwheel on the way as well, the little 5/8" one it comes with just is not cutting it rolling through the grass and dirt/DG tracks.

bzizzi 10-26-2006 06:54 AM

I am also going to put larger front and rear wheels on the MP.It rolls out
really nice compared to the MUS because of its lower CoG.I am also picking up longer
servo actuator levers to get more throw so I can set my rates back down to 100%
on my radio.Still too windy here 20mph winds yesterday.

Fliprob17 10-26-2006 10:33 AM

Ya, the weather is not cooperating [:@] We have 30-35mph winds today.

bzizzi 10-26-2006 11:19 PM

Finally !!! Wind calmed down to 10 MPH and I flew the MP after adjusting aleron throws,it is alot more responsive,it is amazing what 1/8" more travel will do.I did put the elevator back where it was though.I love how this plane ROG for take offs and landings.Much better than the MUS.I ordered a TP Pro Lite 2100mah
11.1v pack and a new charger with built in balancer.

Fliprob17 10-26-2006 11:50 PM

That is good about the throws making that much of a difference. I am going to make the adjustments this weekend, still won't be able to fly though, winds are supposed to stay up around 25-30mph all weekend. Oh well, more time to tweak.....my 1" tailwheel should get here tomorrow.

bzizzi 10-27-2006 09:41 PM

Flew the MP again three times today,I learned to scrub more speed off her by turning with throttle at lowest possible position
and bringing it in lower and slower without stalling and setting her down easy within twenty feet of me.This is a very forgiving
plane and really controlable at all speeds.I am a self taught pilot and have only been flying for four months now but with each
new plane I learn a little bit more.My next plane will be a Mini Funtana X.I started out with a Super Cub then a Soar Easy and
then a MUS and now this plane and so far so good,I did crash a few times in the begining but everything was repairable and still
fly's great.I did sell the Super Cub though to a friend who too wanted to learn to fly.Having a big field in my back yard really helps
me get alot of flying time in within the last four months I have logged over two hundred flights with aleron planes.

Fliprob17 10-27-2006 11:53 PM

I too am a self-taught pilot, this is my second plane, first balsa/ply. But my first was a 4 channel, and I picked it up no problem, doing loops, barrel rols, etc., same deal, a few crashes, but luckily I went with foam on my first plane, easy fixes. I seem to pick things up really quick and easy so I figured I was ready for the jump to something like the Pulse. Still working with the first plane on nice smooth landings to make sure I am completely ready for the Pulse. I have been flying since May of this year, but I don't get out much, work at home for myself, so if I don't work....no $$$$ :D Hopefully the wind will die down here so I can get it out.