Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

cheap Vs "expensive" LiPo's

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 11:53 AM
Ekstreem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cheap Vs "expensive" LiPo's

Hi all,

Have any of you used cheap LiPo's ? I own a few Parkzone and Thunder Power LiPos for my cars and planes, but couldnt help but be intrigued by these prices.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/lipobatteries.html

I dont care much for high charge rates since I never charge over 1c. I figure why buy one $25 battery when I can buy 4 x $6 ones and toss em after 100 cycles or so. The way I see it, 100 cycles per battery will give me 400 flights Vs 150 or so from a more expencive pack.

What are your thoughts on this issue ?

Old 09-15-2010, 12:19 PM
TomBates

Default RE: cheap Vs

I'm fairly new to this but have to say that I use the Blue Lipo almost exclusively. They perform as well, or maybe evenbetter than a couple of E-flight batteries. My batteries run from 500 mAh to 4000 mAh and just keep going, going, going

Tom
Old 09-15-2010, 04:29 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

It probably depends on what your actual need is. If you can get away w/ cheapos then they're fine and the flights may just not be quite as "fun"

If you "need" the higher discharge rates then the cheapos will not last a dozen flights. It may depend more on the actual capabilty than the price too.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:29 AM
ss40

I now use these "cheaper" lipos exclusively. Work for me.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:32 PM
Dr_Chuckie

I've been using Flightmax and Turnigy batteries for over a year and have not had an issue. I don't have 100 cycles on them yet. I have been "fast" charging them at between 1C and 2C and have not noticed an problems with the individual cell voltages. I am curious to see how many cycles I can get out of them.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:53 PM
BEAR-AvHistory

Had 1 bad DOA Turnigy out of 25+ (3S1200 to 5S5000) batteries going back to April, 2009. Also have two Blues for my DX-7 TX. TX & batteries all doing well.

That being said the 3S2200 & 3S3200 Eflites that came with some planes I bought are also still in operation. Since there are only 3 or 4 factories in China & Korea that make R/C Lipos, HobbyCity owns at least one of them, I don't see what the big deal is about buying brand name units for 3 or 4 times the price.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:58 AM
KNowAceHere

I agree, I also use Blue Lipo and Turnighy batteries in my planes and my Hitec TX,. never a problem. If it wasn't for the cheap prices from Hobby City then I would still be flying all gas planes.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:39 PM
Nakajima

I personally know of 8 lipo manufacturers in China alone. I know that there are many more. The quality does vary widely.