Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Zagi 400X questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 05:37 PM
3D Flyer
My Feedback: (37)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zagi 400X questions

I am considering buying 2 Zagi 400X's for my son and I. The intent is to have an aircraft that is portable, park-fyler like so that you need not go to the club field, very durable, and midly areobatic.

1. Will this plane fit the bill?
2. Is the plane as durable as they say?
3. What kind of flight times can I expect from a stock 400X?
4. Do most Zagi 400X owners have multiple battery packs (or do you fast charge the 1700 maH batteries at 3-4 amps at the field?) If so, doesn't that shorten the lifespan of the battery?
5. What quick charger do you use?
Old 07-29-2003, 09:03 PM
Kevin M

The 400x is VERY durable. Ive had mine for about 2 yrs and donked it in a few times, some rather hard and the only thing that broke was the carbon fiber prop that I was using.
With the sp400 I was getting about 10-12 minutes on the 1700 mAh pack and charge it with a hitech 340 charger at 3 amps. So far its lasted and I still get around 10 minutes of flight today. I did end up changing the motor from the stock sp400 to a R.E.T.O.M. from www.parkflyers.com
The retom is a long can sp400, and you can use the stock ESC and the came battery pack with it.
I changed to a 5x5 carbon fiber prop too.
I also changed the wiglets to coroplast one after the ones in the kit broke.
Make sure you get the Carbon fiber spar glued in REAL good or your wing will flap at high speeds.
Check out www.yourzagi.com
www.clubzagi.com

Both real good sites for zagi mods

Good luck on your choice

Kevin
Old 07-30-2003, 11:57 AM
Billiam411

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very durable indeed
Dont fast charge your battery!
No matter what prop you use, remember to turn it around.
It's only $130 and all you need is a radio
Old 07-30-2003, 08:10 PM
steph280
My Feedback: (5)

You mentioned "parkflyer like", the Zagi 400x can fly slow, but it certainly is no park flyer.

If you want to stick with the Zagi brand, their "Fixx" is a park flyer model. It can do aerobatics, just a bit slower. The z-foam does break, but is repairable.

I would recommend WingWarrior's Zipper Park Flyer (ZPF) from hobbypeople.net. It's all EPP foam so it's studier than even the 400x. I've seen quite a few flying locally and it performs really well.

Stephen
Old 07-31-2003, 10:24 PM
austinelse
My Feedback: (1)

Default The Unicorn would be my first choice

They are basically the same as the zagi with the acception of the wing design and they have no canopy to break. They have a motor tube instead. They are very stable at low speeds and will outrun the zagi when you turn up the speed. They also run on an 8 cell AA pack that is lighter than the 400x NICD pack. The price is almost half that of the zagi.

Just my 2 cents.

-Austin
Old 09-14-2003, 04:55 AM
Up&Away

Default RE: The Unicorn would be my first choice

I tend to agree with Austin. The Unicorn has many advantages over the Zagi. No canopy, lighter battery packs, easier (=safer) motor mount. But don't take my word for it. Have a look at www.unicornwings.net Also, at the"other" rc forum are several threads (long ones, so take your time) about the Uni.

Here's a little something to wet your apetite:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13001.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	61182  
Old 09-14-2003, 05:46 PM
Billiam411

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: The Unicorn would be my first choice

I was flying my Zagi 100ft up, tried a barrel roll. Nose dived into the ground at full speed. Nothing broke, just the battery came out