Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Electric Conversion for a scale aircraft (Scratch Built)

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Electric Conversion for a scale aircraft (Scratch Built)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 08:09 PM
Modelfun2
My Feedback: (53)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Conversion for a scale aircraft (Scratch Built)

Hi,

I am looking at converting a 40-46 size scale aircraft to electric. One of the biggest issues I see is the prop size. THe electric motors are recommending a prop that is too big for what I need. I do not have very much ground clearance. I need a prop and motor combo that can pull an airplane that is about 6 lbs and keep the prop at 10-11 inches. Like a 40 nitro would swing.

I do not know what the weight difference would be between a 40 nitro and a 32 to 46 electric setup. Any info on this would be good. I like the motor listings that are similar to the nitros. This makes it easier to determine the motor size. In my case the infor is not enough.

Can I reduce the prop size and what will this effect? Or should I stay nitro?

Oh, By the way this is not a 3D aircraft. I do not want it to fly like one either.

Thanks
Old 01-25-2011, 08:38 PM
DaveFlynn

Default RE: Electric Conversion for a scale aircraft (Scratch Built)

Try a 4130-380 with 12 cells. Works good with 11x4, 11x6 or 12x4. I like the Castle HV-45 and 2100mAhr LiPos. It's about the same weight as a .46 with a big muff and 12oz fuel tank when full. Don't use "E" props, you'll be pushing 900 to 1200 watts and they wont take it.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:03 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Model ... look at the same motor but with a slightly higher KV, with that you can drop the prop diameter. Look at perhaps the Great Planes Rimfires? They like to use high RPMs with props around the size of GP planes.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:58 AM
Modelfun2

I wish I understood all the numbers. This is why I liked the E-flite motor designations. I have to stay in the 10 to 11 inch prop max. based on the two postings I understand that if the Kv's go up I can decrease the prop diameter. Correct. Do they make a goo three bladed prop that would work also?

The airplane should fly snappy but not unlimited climb rate. Would a E-flite 32 work better or something like this?

Thanks for your input and please excuse my lack of knowledge.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:39 PM
DaveFlynn

The eflite power 60 is the size that will give you performance like a .46 glow engine. It's about a 4030-400. I use it with a 9S battery and 13x6 prop on an 8 pound plane.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:38 PM
Modelfun2

DaveFlynn,

Thanks for the info. I think that a 60 E-Flite would be too big. I have to stay in the 10-11" prop range in order to keep the prop hitting the ground. The airplane will not be more than 6 lbs. This is a Canard type A/C and so 3D is not in its future.

I think that maybe I just need to try something. I just would like to know how the prop diameter changes will effect the ESC and/or battery I choose?

Thanks
Old 01-27-2011, 12:20 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Model ... lower loading (small diameter or lesser pitch) means less amps drawn. Please get a wattmeter, it will let you know how many amps are being pulled so you don't burn anything.