Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Duct or prop for beginner?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 01:37 PM
katzcratch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duct or prop for beginner?

I have messed with rc cars, and wanted to ask what people rec for a good plane. It would be ajust for fun flyer . I would like to install castle products once I figure out what I am doing
What is better, or is there a "better" for prop and duct planes
Old 05-24-2011, 01:06 AM
fanackapan

Default RE: Duct or prop for beginner?

If you have never flown RC before I would unhesitatingly recommend an electric glider. Go for not less than 2m wingspan with strong wing colours (to aid visibllity at height). Stick to 2 channel - rudder and elevator. The motor should turn an 11" prop approx to give 60 - 70% model all up wt. as thrust. The beauty of this set up is that you can get to height quickly, and with the rudder as the primary turning control, the response will be mild. You need stick time, not repairing time! If you can get it over there, the JP Albatross (80" 2 channel) presses all the right buttons, but I would change the motor to something better - the supplied "540" with the supplied 8 x 4 prop will give mediocre performance - but don't over power. The Albatross has a polyproplylene fuselage which is better able than glass fibre to withstand the occasional agricultural landing. Ducted fan as a novice? - forget it!
Old 05-26-2011, 06:55 AM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would hold off on the RC ducted fan. That will cause you more harm then good. If your looking for an extra read visit [link=http://www.radiocontrolinfo.com]RC Info.[/link]

You will benefit more and have more fun from a glider or trainer type of plane, even if you prefer the quicker performance. First flight on an EDF even after several hours on a slow trainer, I've seen end in a total loss.

Personally, I'd suggest a MPX Easy Star. Excellent flight characteristics.

Ryan
Old 05-26-2011, 07:12 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A beginner can fly a ducted fan plane IF its a U2 ... heheheheehee ... go with the Multiplex EasyStar or something like that ... I have flown all sorts and I still enjoy my EasyStar. Ducted fan planes are kinda too fast for a beginner and when you turn, you need speed if not you lose height fact. That was my first experience with a ducted fan, after many years of flying. Get the EasyStar, stick a 2200KV motor into her and enjoy it.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:36 AM
katzcratch

So i have been looking at the easy star RTF, pretty reasonable for what it is. Reviews are good.  Now is the motor considered an outrunner?
It seems for all the RCs I have dealt with the stock motor is pretty basic.
thanks for the input

Old 05-26-2011, 09:47 AM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Stock Motor is a brushed 400 size.

If converting to brushless, I'd siggest a 28x35 (400 sized) brushless motor from 1800-2200kv on 11.1v LiPo. It will pull no more than 30A. An ESC that is 35A or higher will work well. 6x4 Prop.

Ryan
Old 05-26-2011, 06:04 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Katz ... the stock motor works fine BUT if you run on a 3 cell lipo you cannot push it too hard, the motor will wear down fast. You need an inrunner. They are cheap nowadays so might as well just go brushless. With the new 40C packs I would say a 1800KV motor on 6x4 is just sweet. The higher discharge batteries hold the voltage much better when underload and the amp draw is more than the older 20C packs.