Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

motor wont throttle up

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 11:07 AM
jeffk464

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default motor wont throttle up

I just put together the cmp katana SR plugged in the battery and for some reason the motor wont spool up. The servos all seem to work and the ESC is goes through its beeps and the motor pulses slightly with the beeps. I flipped the idle up and throttle hold switches on my futuba 6ex transmitter and run the throttle up and get nothing. Anyways I was hoping someone with more experience with electric RC can help out, I starting make the switch over from glow.

Does this particular esc need to be programmed, the last few I have used worked out of the box.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:43 AM
cubaneight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: motor wont throttle up

It's possible that you need to reverse the throttle channel as Futaba's throttle signal works in reverse to most other makes. You'll also need to teach the ESC the max & min settings of the throttle channel (instructions?) Don't have a prop on the motor until you've sorted out the problem....safety first!!
Not sure why you are trying to use throttle hold and idle up with a fixed wing model as you'd be using aero mixing rather than heli.

Hope this helps.

C8
Old 04-13-2012, 11:49 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Reverse the throttle channel.

CB the 6Ex has a built in throttle hold function for electrics so you don't chop your fingers off. Lots of folks do it with mixes but the 6ex has a built in one.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:02 PM
jw357_23043
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: jeffk464

I just put together the cmp katana SR plugged in the battery and for some reason the motor wont spool up. The servos all seem to work and the ESC is goes through its beeps and the motor pulses slightly with the beeps. I flipped the idle up and throttle hold switches on my futuba 6ex transmitter and run the throttle up and get nothing. Anyways I was hoping someone with more experience with electric RC can help out, I starting make the switch over from glow.

Does this particular esc need to be programmed, the last few I have used worked out of the box.
Is this an airplane we are talking about? If so why are you using the throttle hold? Check your endpoint adjustments. They should be set at 100% on low and high.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:13 PM
jeffk464

ORIGINAL: cubaneight

It's possible that you need to reverse the throttle channel as Futaba's throttle signal works in reverse to most other makes. You'll also need to teach the ESC the max & min settings of the throttle channel (instructions?) Don't have a prop on the motor until you've sorted out the problem....safety first!!
Not sure why you are trying to use throttle hold and idle up with a fixed wing model as you'd be using aero mixing rather than heli.

Hope this helps.

C8
Ok the motor throttles up now but only when at about 3/4 throttle and then it spools up to full and isn't really adjustable. I guess I need to figure out how to teach the esc max and min without instructions.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:19 PM
jeffk464

ORIGINAL: jeffk464

ORIGINAL: cubaneight

Hope this helps.

C8
Ok the motor throttles up now but only when at about 3/4 throttle and then it spools up to full and isn't really adjustable. I guess I need to figure out how to teach the esc max and min without instructions.
Ok I got it setup works great thanks. Plug it in at full throttle wait for beeps, drop it to closed throttle and wait for beeps. CMP really needs to work on their manuals.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:38 PM
allelectric

Dido on cubaneight I have flown nothing but futaba and Electrics futaba MUST be reversed. (End points at 100% as said in other post)
Jeff

May All Your Landings Be Smoooooth!
Old 04-14-2012, 07:34 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Why use a feature that will keep you from accidently advancing the throttle on an armed ESC?

To keep you from bumping the throttle stick with the plane in your hand?