Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
 Apair of 11.1 volt batteries makes 22.2 volts? >

Apair of 11.1 volt batteries makes 22.2 volts?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Apair of 11.1 volt batteries makes 22.2 volts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 11:20 AM
My Feedback: (66)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apair of 11.1 volt batteries makes 22.2 volts?

I recently bought my first large electric plane(pre-owned). It calls for a 22.2 volt battery. I have none, but I do have quite a few 11.1 volt batteries laying around. I have ordered the correct battery from Hobby King. While I'm waiting for it to be delivered, can I use a pair of 11.1 batteries, just to check the plane out?
Old 02-14-2013, 12:46 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Apair of 11.1 volt batteries makes 22.2 volts?

Sure thing, just as long as they are the same capacity and (preferably) discharge rate.

You can use packs of different discharge ratings as long as your requirements don't exceed that of the lesser of the two.

Many fliers use multiple smaller packs in series to create larger ones both for flexibility of use and less expensive replacement if a cell dies.
Walt
Old 02-14-2013, 01:30 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 369 Likes on 297 Posts
Default RE: Apair of 11.1 volt batteries makes 22.2 volts?

Cells in series add voltage but remain the same capacity. (3S 2000mah + 3S 2000mah = 6S 2000mah)

Cells in parallel add capacity but remain the same voltage so if you take the above cells and wire them in parallel you will get a 3S 4000mah battery.