Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Tissue for wing´s

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 01:48 PM
Paulino01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tissue for wing´s

Hi to all,
I´m finishing my plane, i made it in Balsa wood and i know there´s a tissue to de wing´s and fuselage, i know there´s other materials, but i would like to know the name of that tissue. If any of you here know´s the name of the tissue or tissues for this final part of my plane construction, i would like very much to know.Greating´s to all here, boys and girls of course, and stay well,
Paulino

Old 07-31-2013, 08:18 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Tissue for wing´s

There are at least two types. One called "Japanese Tissue" and one called "silk span". The silk span is slightly stronger. Both work best when applied damp. An easy way to dampen the tissue is to lay it between two damp towels (just soak the towels in water and wring them out before laying the tissue between them). I've always used nitrate dope to adhere the tissue to the structure.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:58 AM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Japanese tissue is usually used for small models - like rubber powered planes. Silk span is used mostly for larger models, like UContol airplanes. Silk span comes in at least two weights.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:24 PM
Paulino01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank´s Rodney and Paul,
my plan was to cover it with tissue, but i remember that i have fiber glass and resine, it only misses the hardener that i can buy a small portion in companies that make boat´s and etc. because i live near the ocean (10 minutes by car),and there are severall boat´s factories and so on, that use fiber glass . But i´m going to try to find here the type of tissue that you mention, and that i ask for, i live in a real cool but small city, that have´s only a small rc store and no rc clubs. Thank´s for the information, all the best for bowth, and to all here, stay well,
Paulino