Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

150 Class electric - what are my options?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

150 Class electric - what are my options?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 10:52 AM
yaron_k
My Feedback: (45)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 150 Class electric - what are my options?

Hi
I am planning on going electric with a new giant-project I have in mind
What will be your motor brand and model recommendations, if reliability is my top priority?

Thanks in advance

Yaron
Old 04-26-2014, 01:20 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't know what a 150 class electric would be? You say giant scale so I am guessing that is some kind of a glow or gas engine designation. I don't fly that class.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:34 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

150 class electric... I can add a little something I guess These are my suggestions obviously, there are likely to be others.

For airplanes: There are not a ton of airplanes that big that are specifically designed for electric. However off the bat I can think of these:
Sebart 120-140 size: http://www.sebart.it/120-140-class.html
Extreme Flight Extra (one of the best rated/reviewed airplanes and probably my next arf): https://www.extremeflightrc.com/html/78extra.html
Some at 3D Hobby Shop: http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/Electric-...s_c_187-3.html
Some at Aeroworks (www.aero-works.net - their website is slow sometimes) - they have some new 50cc extra-light planes that are designed more for electric

Many of us are converting 30cc and 50cc airplanes - planes that are designed around gas engines. Often they need the weight of the engine in the nose so it takes moving things around and using lighter components in the tail. Pilot RC is one of the better brands (name brand covering, great customer support, etc). All of the brands mentioned above are the same with quality parts, name brand covering, and real customer service.

If you don't mind off-brand covering, Aerobeez.com sells a decent airplane at a very competitive price. They are based in America and have great prices and customer service. I just got their 30cc Sbach. You get a lot for the money and it comes in a couple of days. Mine will be powered with a 10s Neu geared motor.

For motors:

You can't go wrong with Hacker (geared in-runner and outrunner), Neu (geared in-runner), Plettenberg (outrunner and direct-drive inrunner) or for a budget but still quality motor Himax motors (6330 or larger). All of these brands have several motors to choose from for airplanes this size. You need to pick an airplane, then figure out what size prop. You're looking at 10S-12S lipo. For 10S you want anywhere from 190kV at the prop up to 230kV, and maybe 150-190kV for 12s (that's a guess, my only experience is with 10s). For a geared motor, that's about 1100-1300kV for 10s.

10s is good for 30cc planes and the smaller, lighter 50cc airplanes (Extreme Flight 78" Extra, eg). If you want high performance aerobatics you might want 12s for most of the 50cc planes.

F3AUnlimited.com is a good source for electronic components - motors, ESC, batteries, etc. I know the owners and fly with them at contests. Good American guys who love nice models. Great support and good prices, and since it's an F3A store most things are for electric airplanes in this size. I have been getting most of my power equipment there lately.

50cc airplanes seem to weigh in the 18-20lb neighborhood and 30cc planes in the 12lb neighborhood. Both are likely to run on the heavy side with an electric setup unless you go nuts buying the lightest stuff available.

If I could have any of the above, my choice would be:
Extreme Flight 78" Extra
Plettenberg Advance motor,
10S 5000mah lipo,
OS 1100 speed controller.

The motor is expensive but OH MY GOSH it is unbelievable. Super light, super powerful, super efficient. I fly an 11lb airplane for 7min and only use just over half of my 4500mah batteries, and it has gobs of power and comes down cold. Totally worth the money if you have it.