Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

1/8 Electrified Twin Otter

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 02:36 PM
sandcityflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/8 Electrified Twin Otter

Hi,

I'm new to RCU so please be gentle with me...

I have almost completed a LaBelle 1/8 Scale Twin Otter which I have converted to electric, with Scorpion 4025-SII motors and Cobra 100 Amp ESC's. The plane is my first scratch project, though I did have a short kit which made things easier. The plans made no provisions for electric power so I have been kinda winging it, so to speak. To better accommodate the electric conversion I have made the cockpit a "module", easily removable to access the two 6S500030C batteries directly behind.

Further deviations from scale at the wing struts were necessary as the large power cables run down the struts to busbars, and then to "ArmSafe" devices and on to the batteries, and the cables need to be disconnected at the struts when removing the wing. I also took some liberties with the landing gear fairing.

The motor specs indicate just over 1400W with 6 cells, giving the bird about 120W/lb. The plane has very high wing loading, but has a high lift wing and Fowler flaps, so I'm hoping for reasonable landing speeds. The plane has an AUW of 24#, within the plan specs for the IC version.

My question is about separate UBEC's. I read that they are highly recommended for large planes, more than four servos, digital servos, etc. I will be running the motors through individual batteries.

Should I install a separate "UBEC" on each side? Any tips on this unusual requirement is most appreciated.

The plane will be ready for taxi and run-up trials in a few weeks.

jerry m
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Systems Check.jpg
Views:	1052
Size:	313.5 KB
ID:	2025029  
Old 08-23-2014, 03:15 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
Welcome and a nice looking plane!
You will get a few different answers and several different suggestions on this. Here is one.
On larger planes it is common to bypass the internal ESC's BEC(regulator) and either install a UBEC (external regulator) rated for higher amperage such as 8amps or more, or install a LiFe battery for the receiver.
If you install a BEC or a battery you will need to "disable" the internal BEC in each ESC and you do that by removing the RED power pin from the ESC receiver plug ,shrink-wrap it and tie it back on the cable.
By installing a separate receiver battery like a LiFe pack you also have an added level of security if anything should happen to the 6-cell packs or the UBEC wiring you will still have control of the plane. Plus a 2200 LiFe pack is not large or heavy at all.
Old 08-03-2023, 03:50 AM
drumski

Default What is Flying weight?

Hello Sandcityflyer!
I have the John La Belle Twin Otter drawings. I'm also going to do a 1:8 scale. I am interested to know what is the flyweight of your 1:8 Twin Otter?
Old 08-11-2023, 10:45 PM
drumski

Sandcityflyer may not have noticed my question/post above. That's why I would like to send him a private message.

The system won't let me send him a private message because I'm new here, I have less than five posts here. Stupid system…

I already have two writings, this is the third.
Old 08-11-2023, 10:46 PM
drumski

This is the fourth post.
Old 08-11-2023, 10:47 PM
drumski

This is the Fifth message.