Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Sign Kadet Senior Sport? Too much weight and power?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Sign Kadet Senior Sport? Too much weight and power?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 09:04 AM
krashkart
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sign Kadet Senior Sport? Too much weight and power?

I have a new Sig Kadet Senior Sport on order. Unfortunately it will not be in available until the end of November.
Some time ago I had another build in progress which did not come to be and I had a 60 series electric just laying there. I also had the ESC to support it.
The original design lightweight of this large 78 inch wingspan aircraft is 8-8.5 pounds and it is really designed to fly on a 46 and a 5S/5000 battery.
Adding the 60 series motor and 6/5000 batteries that I have on hand will increase the flying weight by just over 1.6 pounds.
I was trying to save a little money here and that I have the batteries, ESC, and a new motor but I am yet sure that the additional weight that I am going to add is going to be worth it on this plane.
I sure hate to spend the money buying a new 46 and 5S/5000 batteries but I don't want to ruin the flying abilities of this new plane.
This ARF has a wide power rating of from 600-1100 watts as noted in the manual at the Sig website.
Any opinions?

Last edited by krashkart; 10-23-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:50 AM
krashkart

Well as it turned out those 5S batteries were only 4S/4000s that I had anyway so I will be using the 6S/5000s that I ordered.
I think I will go ahead with the G60 motor which is rated for the 6S batteries and using eCalc and assuming it's accurate it appears that a 13x8 will give me around 1000 watts of power. More than I need but I don't have to use it all. Sig recommends 600-1100 watts.
My batteries got delayed and will not be here until today for I am ready to bench test them when I get connectors in place to match up.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:34 PM
krashkart

I got the batteries today and charged them up.
I put the wattmeter inline and the G60 I think would be just a monster with the props I tested for it.
So I changed the motor out to the G46 420KV and tested with a 14X10 prop and it came in at 918 watts and 38.7 amps of current max.
I suppose I could even cut that prop back to a 14x8 without a problem and still have lots of power for the Sig Senior Sport when I get it.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:41 PM
Mickydee1354

There is a review of the Senior Sport here on R/C Universe. The reviewer used a Power 60 on 6S 5000 and it flew fine. Check out the video and see for yourself.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:26 AM
krashkart

TNX.
I think I am going to go ahead and use the G60 I have. I picked up some 12x6 and 12x8 props and I am getting some 750 watts with the 12x6 and 880 with the 12x8 using the 6S batteries I have on hand.
That's in the middle of the 600-1100 watt range that sig recommends.
I don't know right now if it would be any advantage to step up to a 13" prop.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:45 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

As long as you don't have a balance problem, the prop has enough ground clearance and the motor and batteries will fit, having too much power is not typically a problem. This is, assuming that you are not going to twist the nose off the plane. I have seen that happen on foamies when people put on crazy powerful motors.

Just don't push the throttle up all the way and you should be fine..
Old 11-07-2014, 03:15 PM
krashkart

According to Sig I can fly off grass with this plane using a 14" prop but that is about the max with stock wheels.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:38 PM
krashkart

After reading the review that Mickeydee 1354 recommended I see that the reviewer used a 60 series motor and 6S 5000 battery and that is the same setup I decided to go with.
I will use the 14x8 prop however as I might want to fly this off grass and that is what Sig recommends for clearance.
Just waiting impatiently now for Sig to get their order in towards the end of the month so they can ship mine too me.
I have seen the older Kadet Senior fly and really liked the way it handled.
I am really looking forward to this tail dragger version for my mini fleet.