Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Motor runs very slow now

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 05:57 PM
308jockey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor runs very slow now

Evening all,

Here's another electric motor problem I can't figure out. I have in my fleet a Shoe String EF-1 racer I bought to get into that category of racing. I purchased the Hobby King EF-1 motor for it and started practicing. It ran great, good speed, no obvious problems. On about my fifth flight after the plane rolled out for landing I foolishly tried to taxi it on our short grass field. It nosed over at less than half throttle. Before this happened, the motor made plenty of power and had a rough feel to it when I turned it by hand. After it nosed over it will now only run at a very slow speed and feels much smoother when turning it by hand. Have I killed this motor or has something come loose that I may be able to repair? I'm probably going to order some stuff from HK soon and may as well order a new motor or two if this one is done for. Thinking abut getting a complete second airplane as well, I always like a spare. Thanks.

Rick H.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:19 AM
Jennifer Curtis

Maybe the motor bell setscrew is loose (the one that holds
it onto the shaft. The bell might spin at full speed, but
the propeller would not keep up.

Jenny
Old 04-30-2015, 12:47 PM
Ed

Magnet may have broken loose and fallen out. It was feeling rough when it was rubbing, but now maybe it's gone ?

ed
Old 04-30-2015, 05:48 PM
308jockey

Doesn't seem to be the case Jennifer. Ed can that be repaired if the magnet is still around or is it just remove and replace the motor?

Rick H.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:00 PM
Ed

Yes, a good heat resistant glue should do it.

Snatched this from R/C Groups. >>> http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1394640

Also >>> http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252863

Ed

Last edited by Ed; 04-30-2015 at 06:19 PM.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:35 AM
gyrocptr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 308jockey
.... It nosed over at less than half throttle....
Rick H.
Stalling the motor (at any throttle setting) sometimes damages the ESC. Zero rpm causes a sudden-large current spike. Some, but not all of the power FETs get damaged/inoperative. This reduces the power available from the ESC.

Last edited by gyrocptr; 05-09-2015 at 07:39 AM.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:43 AM
308jockey

HHhhmmm, had not thought of that at all. I haven't gotten it back out to check it but will look into all of this the next day or two. Thanks very much everyone, I'll let you know what I find.

RIck H.