Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Cherokee GP/EP setup

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Great Planes Cherokee GP/EP setup

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 11:41 AM
lx2008
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Cherokee GP/EP setup

hello, i`ll try to keep this as short as i can:

i thought this topic might be more suitable for the battery,motor,esc. area but i thought if anyone has ever built this plane w/ e.p.,
you would have a better understanding of what i`m trying to ask.

i originally built this plane for glow using a Saito 56( working flaps & all ) but now i want to change over to electric. i`m going to use the manuals recommendations for all elec. parts as follows:
1- great planes Rimfire 42-50-800kv motor(GPMG4700)
1- great planes Silver Series 60amp high voltage ESC.(GPMM1850)
and 2 lipo`s, that you are to run in a series.( as per manual)
1- 7.4v 3200mah 20c discharge
1- 11.1v 3200mah 20c discharge

the batteries are what has me confused as the total voltage (in a series) will be 18.5v @ 3200mah.

the above motor for it has a voltage rating of 11.1 to 14.8 volts. ( as stated in my towerhobbies catalog)

so here`s my question: if i use the ( recommended ) batteries run in a series , it totals 18.5 volts
but the ( recommended ) motor has a rating of 11.1 - 14.8 volts, won`t that be too much voltage
to run in the motor?

i posed this on another forum but the reply i got asked me how i was going to fly this plane (style of flying)
and we could get started on what i need. i already stated i was going to use the manual`s recommendation
so i just thought i could get a straight answer here.( im sure he was trying to help,but i don`t plan on using anything
else but what the manual says) unless its wrong!

i kinda of newb w/ electrics as my 2 elec. planes i have now had the components already installed.

i just need to know if the motors( Rimfire 42-50-800kv) rating is ok to use seeing its rating is less
than 18.5 volts of power being used with it. keep in mind, these components are all selected by the manufacturer.

i want to make sure the manual is correct or not.

hope you guys can give me some insight.

thanks for your time fellows!
Old 11-01-2015, 04:02 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you purchased all the parts yet? I can not answer the question about the motor, it says a 4s battery and yet they call for a 5s setup. To me it would be easier to just use a 5s battery and not use 2 batteries in series.

http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...300mah-5s.html

Here is a review of the plane. May give yo some more information.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873257

Buzz.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:04 PM
lx2008
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no, i have not purchased anything yet. but a couple of posts on other forums have said the same.
after i read a thread on building of the cherokee on rcgroups, if i were to use 2 batteries, one would have
to be mounted on the bottom of the servo tray and the other would have to be mounted on
the top.in order for both to fit. so i`m thinking of buying a 5s and just have the one battery.

would seem to be a pita to mount two batts.

your second link is the one i was looking at