Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Guidance for newbie

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 10:15 AM
Streetsnake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guidance for newbie

Hello guys,
I'm brand new to rc flying. Couple of months earlier I bought the Esky Honey Bee CP2 thinking that it would be fairly easy to fly it. Two months later I realized that it was a bad choice to start with because every time I tried just to hover something was happening resulting in about 20 euros of damage (this has happened 4 times until now). I'm a bit disappointed now.... My goal from the start was to make a totally autonomous uav with real feed (from a camera) on my laptop's screen with the max possible flight time and range about 5-10 km. I thought I could try my luck in flying it myself before giving total control to the autopilot (......). I even found and read a BSc Report on that exact project (upgrading a Esky Honey Bee CP2 to a fully autonomous uav). Then I kept on reading finding out that rc gliders can achieve greater flight times that my heli even with battery upgrade. The budget I can afford spending is about 300-400 euros. So after my story here come the questions :
  1. Should I keep my heli or sell it for a glider ?
  2. Where should I start reading from, or even better any suggestions to look for?

PS: I'm not an expert but can use a soldering iron and can handle wiring as well.

ANY HELP IS GREATLY ACCEPTED
Old 02-06-2017, 09:05 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The best possible solution is to locate a nearby club and visit them. Most clubs will be very helpful in giving you good advice applicable to the area you live in as well as being able to show you several different types of models. They will be very willing to give you advice on what to start with and may even have a demo model that they let new comers try out on a buddy box. Your local hobby shop should be able to direct you to any nearby clubs.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:33 PM
Streetsnake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Rodney I'll try it out.