Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Li-Po battery ban

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 02:36 PM
rinkhals01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Li-Po battery ban

Hi People.
I was one of the first to fly performance electrics at my club and am a great believer in this technology, but lately I have noticed that there is major swing back to nitro powered models and I went to find out why. Well it seems that it is becoming more difficult than ever to get LiPo batteries into New Zealand due to a freight ban after the flight MH13 disaster (for which LiPos have been listed as a possible cause...)
It seems that modellers now don't want to spend their hard earned cash on a technology that soon may become impossible to get... as a case in point, I went to buy some batteries online and the order went through as it should, only to get an email later saying that they do not ship lipo batteries to New Zealand as there is a freight ban on these dangerous products...is this new trend happening to other countries as well, and is there perhaps anyway around this problem as it could mark the end of viable electric flight?
Many thanks and kindest regards
Rinkhals.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:08 PM
nhk750

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We are not experiencing any problems in the US, but I have heard that they wont airship LiPos anymore.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:05 AM
zokoloko

We are not experiencing any problems in the Canada
Old 02-26-2018, 03:36 PM
modelaircrafter

Originally Posted by zokoloko
We are not experiencing any problems in the Canada
I have. BangGood used to ship Lipos but my last order they declined. Where are you getting your Lipos?
Old 03-04-2018, 06:27 AM
Sarge50

I haven't noticed any difficulty getting them in the US. If shipping ever does become a problem, nitro might make a comeback here.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:47 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Other battery chemistries are safer ? LIFEPO4 ? Heavier.

Boeing uses a very dangerous Cobalt LIPO type of battery in the dream liners.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:54 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Here is one of the reasons for the band on LiPo batteries on shipping. I used to fly freight and know of the horror this would be. We used to carry HazMat with long words that we couldn't even pronounce. On board fire is a flight crew's worse nightmare. The general public never hears much about freighters that crash, due to it doesn't kill enough people.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:14 AM
cyclops2

Years ago a freighter crashed in Florida swamps with SKIDS of LIPOS on board.

You are right. People are cheap compared to money being made per flight. Very sad...... Be just like the days of Robber Barrons running the country.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:34 PM
pilotpete2

Good grief man, get your facts straight
The Florida everglades Valujet crash was due to transporting oxygen generators that were out of date and not properly packed for transport, not batteries.
Also, I believe that the 747 freighter at Dubai was due to a large shipment of Lithium primary batteries, not rechargeable lipos.

Fortunately, shipping large quantities of lipo from China to the US by container is more cost effective and safer by container ship. That's why distributors, like Value Hobby are out of stock on some batteries for a while, till the next delivery gets through customs.
Pete
Old 03-07-2018, 04:19 PM
cyclops2

Thank you pilotpete for correcting me. I am mixing several old crashes together.

Rich
Old 04-07-2018, 01:10 PM
Hesp

Batteries are dangerous. Recently heard of an electric car ( full size ) that crashed & the battery burst into flames. Took 5 fire engines & 35 fire fighters to put it out. They would put it out & then it would flame up again & again. . It then had to set in quarantine for 48 hrs. Can't imagine the horror of that happening on a cargo plane.