Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Viper Twin

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 08:54 PM
Varad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Viper Twin

I fly glow powered airplanes and want an electric wing. Im almost totally sure that the Viper twin is the best wing you can buy thats electric. Am i right?
Old 10-28-2003, 07:43 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Viper Twin

What's "best" is a matter of opinion. There are plenty of excellent wing designs out there, including the Viper Twin. The Wingwarrior series (Raider, Zipper, et al), the venerable Zagi, even GP's new Slinger (ARF Zagi clone, IMHO).

I don't know if you can go wrong with a properly powered foamie wing.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:06 AM
scott88-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Varad,

My friend bought a Biper Twin. He got the hop ups with the stall fins, the carbon fiber struts, and the 480 motors. The plane flies great it's really fast and indestructable not like the EPP foam planes this is different foam... he crased this thing going full speed into small tree(1 inch diamter) and broke the tree and hardly put a scratch or dent in his plane. I've flown it and it's really awesome. Go for it!!
Old 10-28-2003, 05:58 PM
Varad

Alright Thanks scott. Ill definately go for it.
Old 10-29-2003, 05:01 PM
Hawkhumper

My friend has a Viper twin with the 480 motors. The viper is beautiful, but the canopies are fragile (order extras and reinfornce the insides near the nose and props with packing tape). The battery is always thrown through the canopy on impact. Velcro straps were added to keep the battery in place better. Pilot skill will be a factor here.

I have a combat wing XE with a brushless Mega motor (16/15/4). My combat wing with a single brushless mototr is 50% faster than his Viper with the 480 motors. Because of friendly compitition he is currently adding twin brushless motors to the Viper. Should be fast!!! The EPP foam of the combat wing handled the dive in augering associated with beginning pilots trying to fly inveted better than the viper. Epoxy glue got the Viper back up the following day.

The Viper is good and if you can land gently, it will last a long time. If you are staying with brushed motors, twin is the way to go, but a single brushless will beat a twin bushed rig. The nine cell upgrade pack has a smaller amp hour capacity and is thus lighter than the 8 cell pack. The 9 cell pack is difficult to balance in the plane. We had to add ballast weight to the nose to get correct CG. It sure does speed the plane up though.
Old 11-03-2003, 01:01 PM
Squire

Help a newbie a bit. I also have an XE2 with the stock Speed 400. It flies good as is but I would like more speed. You say you have a "brushless Mega motor (16/15/4). What is the significance of the numbers? What prop do you turn? Did it mount on the same bracket?

Thanks, Phil
Old 11-03-2003, 03:22 PM
Hawkhumper

The Mega motor is the same physical size as the speed 400 motor. It has the same bolt pattern to fit the stock motor bracket of the combat wing. The numbers (16/15/4) on the mega motor relate to length (mm)/diameter (mm)/and the number of field wire turns in the motor. The number of turns will affect the performance of the motor. A lower number of turns will result in a higher revs/volt number (higher prop speed), but may have an efficiency trade off. I used a simulation program (ElectriCalc) to find the proper number of turns for the combat wing. I'm running direct drive, but if you had a plane that needed a gear box, a higher number of windings might be the best combo.

I tried the stock 5x5 prop with good results. A 6x4 prop climbs a little better without too much drop in speed. For fun I opened up the back of the plane a bit to take a 7 inch prop. A 7x4 tends to load the motor and battery too much, they run much warmer. The 6x4 prop is what I now like to run.

The brushless motor requires a brushless speed controller. There are three power connections instead of the standard 2 for a brushed motor. On a brushed motor, the brushes contact a comutator, which takes care of switching the voltage to the motor windings. With a brushless motor, there is no comutator, so the switching has to be handled by the speed controller.

The extra power from a brushless motor is due to strong rare earth magnets, less friction and better electrical connections(because there are no brushes), and an overall more efficiecnt design.

I'm running 8 cell CP-1300 mAH battery packs (much larger than what is recommended for the brushed system). With a speed 400 brushed motor I could barely keep the plane in the air. With the brushless setup, I get 12-15 minutes of all but straight vertical performance. I can get about 8 minutes of full throttle power.
Old 11-23-2003, 09:37 PM
scrappyfly8
My Feedback: (1)

Hey goog stuff. I also have an XE2 and want to go brushless. Where is
a good place to get your same set-up and did you have to modify your
wing to handle flapping?
Thanks...