Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

How much wind?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 03:54 PM
revier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much wind?

I only have about 15 minute's of electric glider time. 40 years of gas time. How much wind can I fly an electric glider in? Two meter size and weight is 2 pounds. Wing is poly and 462 sq. inches. Hot 480 motor. Seem's the wind is always blowing in Mn.[8D]
Old 01-15-2004, 01:00 PM
Mikerjf

Default RE: How much wind?

Pretty much depends on your skill level and how much you want to push the plane. My niece has flown her Teddy (basically a powered glider) in 20mph winds, it flies, but it's a lot of work. Biggest thing to remember is to not let it get too far downwind, if it runs out of juice you won't get it back. My nieces Teddy spent 9 months in NJ's Pine Barrens because I let her get it too far out and the batteries quit and I couldn't get it back.

Mike
Old 01-15-2004, 01:22 PM
revier

Thanks for the reply. The electric sailplanes I have ready are not as sturdy as the gas jobs I have been flying. Did't know how much stress they would take.
Old 01-17-2004, 09:53 AM
Mikerjf

20 mph winds won't tear them up. It's actually a lot of fun messing around in the wind. One windy day my niece was having a ball putting the Teddy up, specking it out and landing it. Plane never went forward more than 20 feet from where we were standing, and the landings were near vertical.

Mike
Old 01-18-2004, 02:19 PM
tunnelvishon

Bear in mind that winds around obsticles like trees and such will play havoc with you too. Nothing like coming in for a landing and a nice downdraft puts your remaining altitude instantly above you.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:22 PM
BykrDan

I've flown a seven ounce foamy in winds greater than the plane's top speed, but it's definitely something you want to work up to, not start out at! And yes, as was stated, it will be much more enjoyable (or just plain possible) if you're out in the open, rather than in the lee of a building or tree-line. Even the top of a slope can develop a nasty little vortex.

I have to admit - it's not very enjoyable flying. I'd be better off just to save my batteries and motor for better flying days.