Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Best plane for a beginner?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 04:48 PM
Crazyrcer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best plane for a beginner?

What is the best plane for a beginner? I would like to get an electric but I'm not sure which one. Is Wattage's Full House good? What about Hobbico's Super Star EP? Are either of those good?

Thanks
Old 06-07-2004, 07:28 AM
WolfeWind

Default RE: Best plane for a beginner?

If you have never flown any RC plane you might do best with a plane that has the motor mounted behind the wing instead of at the nose of the plane. You are going to crash it a few times - probably quite a few times - so having a protected motor can make a big difference. Look at the T-Hawk and the HobyZone Firebird Commander and Challenger.
Old 06-07-2004, 12:19 PM
RC Sumo

welcome to the addiction Crazyrcer!

First of all.....lemme refer you to some good initial reading...ground school if you will:
http://www.rcezine.com/cms/article.php?id=17
Hope Ed doesn't mind me beating him to the punch referencing his own article

Second....I would find a field and local hobby shop where local flyers are. Take your time getting into this hobby! A rushed decision might lead to an ill advised purchase and might tarnish your view of the hobby. Keep in mind that flyers tend to be passionate about their experiences with planes they have flown and will not hesitate to recommend for/against planes they might not have ANY experience with. For example, I started with electrics. Less expensive, quiter, and generally more relaxing. But that statement is made having never flown Gas powered planes.
I imagine the increased thrust to weight ratio makes for fantastic flying. And while I have had tons of success and countless hours flying my Aerobird Challenger, there are many who could recount stories of failed flights. Difference maker for me: I found a guy locally that flew electrics and he was gracious enough to help me with my first 3 flights. From there, I found the local club and have been able to continue to learn from the generous fellas who fly @ my local field. All of this has helped me get further and further into this hobby.

As far as beginner planes. There are numerous electric beginner planes that might work for you. There are alot of variables that go into the decision: how much are you willing to spend? Where are you going to fly it? Are you going to attempt to teach your self? I think that would give folks in here a better idea of what they might recommend.

As for my recommendations. Electrics. I would say get a 2 or 3 channel plane first. Something with good dihedral and a high wing design. Characteristics shared by the planes Wolfewind mentioned above. Many people have taught themselves with varying degrees of success how to fly with those planes. Another plane that you will find receives alot of recognition, and for good reason, is the Slow Stik. Dang plane basically flies itself. But I will leave owners of those planes to explain the details.

Good luck! Hope I was a help!

-Sumo
Old 06-07-2004, 01:29 PM
Crazyrcer

Well, I have a glider that I tried to teach myself with and that didn't work. I crashed it into a telephone pole and that shredded the wing. Then I got a "toy" plane. It was a Watt-Age, 2-channel J-3 cub. That one didn't fly at all. In the mean time I've visited the local flying field and talked to some people. At one of there flying events I got to train on a nitro trainer with a buddy cord.

I'm pretty sure I want to do electric so I don't have to buy all those accesories. I would like to get a plane with ailerons because that is all I use on my simulater (FMS). My plan is to do a buddy cord with one of the guys at my club.

Is the Watt-Age Super Impress good? My parents want me to get somthing I can use for a long time instead of getting one for beginning then another once I'm a better flyer. A buddy cord reduces the risk of crashing right? So wouldn't it be better to get a plane with the motor in the front?

Thanks
Old 06-07-2004, 05:03 PM
WolfeWind

Everybody wants a plane that is easy to learn on and will hold their interest in the long haul, but the two aspects seem to work aganst each other in most cases. It may, in fact, be cheaper in the long run to get 2 planes rather than one. If you have a lot of tme on the flight sim you can probably skip the 2 channel starter planes and go right to 3 channel. Four chanel might be pushing it - it is far more nerve wracking to see your real plane about to crash than an FS plane, and you may find that you panic and nose it in.

If you want a compromise, get a plane that will let you transfer some of the electronic components to a more advanced ARF plane - that would cut the cost of 2 planes significantly. Again, look at the T-Hawk.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:51 PM
Airborne 2007

If you want a very nice simulator for a demo there's one called RC Plane Master. Very good realism, but you only get one plane and one field to fly on it, but hey, it's free. Then if you feel comfortable, I would say go with one of GWS's beginner models; the Tiger Moth, Slow Stick, or possibly the E-starter. I haven't flown any of these, but from what I've heard on this site, people have had great success with all 3. I wish I would have done this instead of getting a Ready-To-Fly like the Aerobird. Because now i'm ready to move up to 4 channels, and being only 15, don't want to spend the money on another transmitter, receiver and the works. Anyways, I hope this helps you a little bit and good luck.

-John

I forgot the website for the sim. Here it is. Just click Download Demo. It's 7mb.

www.realitycraft.com/index.htm
Old 06-08-2004, 06:55 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Don't get hung up on "channels" or the presence or absence of a particular control surface (i.e. ailerons). Good rudder designs fly just like a plane equipped with ailerons, and will even roll with enough rudder deflection.

On any plane you get, make sure that throttle is one of the controls. There's nothing worse than having to land for whatever reason, and not being able to because you can't shut off the motor.

Check out the "Good First Planes" thread posted at the top of the Electric Training forum.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:02 PM
Crazyrcer

Are Watt-Ages [link=http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/128405.asp]Super Impress[/link] or their [link=http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/128426.asp]J-3 Cub[/link] good? I really do not want to get another "foamy" plane and my parents don't want to either. Remember I will be flying this on a trainer cable.

Thanks
Old 06-08-2004, 05:24 PM
Mikerjf

Easy Star
Old 06-09-2004, 07:08 AM
Matt Kirsch

Aerobatic planes like the "Full House" and scale planes like J-3 Cubs are NOT "good" first airplanes. The Super Impress is just okay, mostly because it's a bit heavy and has a very inefficient motor system.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with foam airplanes in general, but as with ANY type of building material, there are many well-designed airplanes, and there is a lot of absolute JUNK. An example of an EXCELLENT foamie aircraft is the GWS Slow Stick. You can't go wrong with one of these, and you won't even need a buddy box.

If you crash and break the airplane, it can almost always be repaired. Don't forget that. A tube of 5 minute epoxy and a roll of packing tape, both from Wal-Mart, are all you need.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:33 AM
Crazyrcer

Ok. It sounds like the GWS Slow Stick is a good one. My parents really don't want to get a foam since the last one was a complete bust. I don't know if I can talk them into it. Anyway I found some more planes and I'm wondering if they are good. The first is [link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/miss2.htm]Miss 2[/link] and the other is [link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/tipsy.htm]Tipsy[/link].

Thanks again for all the info. This is a very hard decision!
Old 06-09-2004, 01:21 PM
Matt Kirsch

The Tipsy is another good, albeit foam, beginner plane. They featured it on an episode of Radio Control Hobbies on DIY. One thing about the Miss 2 is that it's built of balsa if I am not mistaken. When you crash, the repair will always involve more than simply gluing the broken bits back together.
Old 06-09-2004, 04:38 PM
Tweet
My Feedback: (1)

I don't think you can go wrong with a GWS Slow Stick.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:47 AM
skate5290

aerobird extreme

hobbyzone.com
Old 06-10-2004, 09:50 AM
kwiktsi

Either the extreme or challenger- they both fly fairly easy- not as easy as the slow stick though- however- they are nearly indestructable. The challenger seems to hold up a bit better due to it's lighter weight. They will take one hell of a beating though . The weak part is the tail if it hits the ground- but for around $5-$6 for a replacement, it isn't a big deal.
Joe
ORIGINAL: skate5290

aerobird extreme

hobbyzone.com
Old 06-10-2004, 11:41 AM
skater_719
My Feedback: (4)

i startedd on an aerobird challenger, it flys awesome but it doesnt really grow with you, it a good cheap trainer
Old 06-12-2004, 10:54 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I ask everyone the same questions:

What is your budget?

If you want a great plane for a great price, the Aerobird Challenger is hard to beat and it is ready to fly! The HItec Easy Star, also available ARF costs more but includes a better radio system.

If you want to buy standard radio equipment and install it yourself:
Slow Stick
Tipsey
Easy Star ARF

These are good choices
Old 06-15-2004, 08:33 PM
Help

Crazyrcer

You will find no better plane to learn on than the Multiplex Easy Star. Just read the some 6000 entries to the Easy Star thread. I never touched a plane until I got the Easy Star and I can tell you that anyone can fly this plane. It has a pusher prop and is made of elpor foam. If you crash it just CA it back together. It is a very forgiving plane and loads of fun. Before you buy anything give the Easy Star a hard look. You will be pleased that you did.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:51 PM
bhpd1438

I recently decided to get into RC flying.....and I have had great success with two aircraft. I started with the Hobby Zone Firebird Commander. The prop is behind the wing, so it is not easily damaged. If you do fly this airplane, i recommend this one tip: IF IT IS CLEAR THAT YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE A HARD LANDING OR CRASH, BE SURE THAT YOU CUT THE THROTTLE, OTHERWISE THE PROP WILL CHOP UP THE BACK EDGE OF THE WING. The great thing about the Commander is that since it is only a two channel aircraft, you will learn very quickly that POWER is used to control ALTITUDE. This is a common problem with people who start off with elevator (or pitch) control. They try to use pitch for altitude. Once I was comfortable with the Commander, I went out and got a Park Zone Piper Cub (the J3). I have had a great time with this also. It has the elevator control, and I have found that by learning so well about power and altitude with the Commander, I use the elevator rarely. Those are the only two planes that I have ever flown, and I have had great success (or luck maybe). Good luck to you.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:54 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Congratulations and welcome to the hobby. You are going to have a great time.