Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

New electric only Super Chipmunk

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

New electric only Super Chipmunk

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 09:27 AM
Adrian Page

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New electric only Super Chipmunk

Anyone got one of these Chippys from Ron Daniels in the air yet? Tell us how it flys...or how close to test flying you are.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:00 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: New electric only Super Chipmunk

Heya, how about a website so we can check it out? I like Chipmunks; always wanted a Goldberg.

Dang you. You got my brain cranking again: Goldberg Chipmunk, 20 cells, AXi 4130/16
Old 07-02-2004, 08:01 AM
Adrian Page

http://www.rwdrc.com
Old 07-03-2004, 10:18 AM
Flyer15

I have one of Ron's final pre-production prototypes. I had ordered a Chipmunk from him in early January, he very generously sent me one of the prototypes built and pretty much ready to cover, as he was still getting the kits into production at that time. I was very impressed with the quality of the plane, and on the prototype, he sent me both versions of the tail, both standard and super. I finished it with Super Chipmunk configuration. His manual and plans were very nice, in particular the flight testing and profile suggestions, how to get into and out of various aerobatic maneuvers, warnings about cutting throttle too much on recovery (Due to getting too much "airbrake" action with t stopped propeller, etc.)

I put an astro 05 geared with 8 cells in mine, very hot, take off at half throttle, very responsive, got alot of attention at the field. All 3 of my flights have been in rather high wind conditions, still handled well, hard to determine if I have it all the way trimmed out yet though, due to conditions. Unfortunately, work has been a great inconvenience to my flying this year, so I have not uncovered all the potential in this plane yet. However, based on the first 3 flights, I am greatly looking forward to doing so.

This is forst post in RCUniverse for me, so apologies if I have done anything incorrectly.
Old 08-28-2004, 05:52 PM
Ron Daniels

Hey guys,

I don't know if anyone else has theirs built yet. Unfortunately, I sent most of them out at the beginning of flying season....

I did get a better air shot of mine recently, though. It is on short final. Thanks to Mike for taking the photo.

I'm using an AXI 2820-10 on 10 CP1700 cells. I get nearly unlimited vertical, and 6-8 minutes of aerobatics. Switching to the GP 2000 A sized cells would put the thrust to weight ratio over 1:1. Switching to the new ThunderPower 4100 Li Poly cells would put it well above this level, and give about 15 minutes of duration.

Ron Daniels
Old 01-20-2005, 04:34 PM
Ron Daniels

I built a second one for the 2005 season. Just a few details left, like painting the canopy frames.

I went with the Whale Tail, and a "sun faded" Art Scholl-type scheme.

This one will get the same equipment as the other one, but with, most likely, GP 2200 cells, for slightly longer flights, and unlimited vertical.

Ron Daniels
Old 02-06-2005, 10:19 PM
Ron Daniels

Better pictures....

Ron Daniels
Old 01-15-2006, 10:59 AM
nrichardz

Here is a picture of mine I just finished it last night and am planning on maidening it today setup is as follows Eflite park 450 outrunner motor Eflite 20 amp brushless speed control 1500 mah 3 cell lipo and a 10x7 apc slowflyer prop on the meter with 10x7 prop WOT 15 amps and 142 watts of Thrust should fly very well

Rick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29766.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	388040   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68147.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	388041   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31913.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	388042  
Old 01-17-2006, 12:16 PM
Muleman

I have had my Goldberg Chipmunk for about a week not and love it. I have a 850 kv HiMax outrunner in it with a 9 x 7 prop and it will go verticle no problem. It handles great, but does balloon a little in high wind because of the flat wings. It really looks great on the ground and in the air. Very solid construction and easy to put together.