Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

getting into electrics(first class)?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

getting into electrics(first class)?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 01:42 PM
chasot
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting into electrics(first class)?

I have moved to a new home which has a large back yard,(and is much further away from my RC field)
So I am selling off some of my larger rc planes and want to get into electrics. I want to get set up with top notch stuff, but batteries and chargers and micro gear have all come a very long way in the last 10 years(and I have not).

What is the best way to get set up in electrics? are li-po's the way to now?
who is the best supplier of electric rc stuff?
I am selling off a couple $k's in large scale planes,and will have more $ than brains to start off.

Where to begin?

Thanks, Chas
Old 07-06-2004, 02:40 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: getting into electrics(first class)?

One thing you'll quickly find out about electrics is that there is no one "best" anything. Competition, and passion for the hobby, has netted us a field of first-rate vendors, and first-rate products that make it very difficult to go wrong no matter what you choose. That's not to say you can just slap any motor and battery in any plane, and expect spectacular results. What I mean is that once you figure out how to match plane to battery to motor to gearbox to propeller, you won't have to spend countless sleepless nights worrying about who to buy it from, or which brand to buy.

FWIW, it never hurts to cut your teeth on a GWS foamie. Slow Sticks and Tiger Moths make great large-backyard flyers. They're cheap, and GWS markets flight packs specifically made for their planes, so you can see what goes into an electric plane.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:49 PM
GadgetMann

Default RE: getting into electrics(first class)?

I spent a couple months contemplating electric vs. glow. That doesn't make me an expert. I started off flying an aerobird challenger (3 channel park flyer for a couple months). I eventually focused my time (and money) on a .40 sized aerobatic trainer.
Now that I have been flying to for a couple months, I think I can say that you might be really bored with small park flyers. If you would like to get some ideas about how much you can do with electrics, check out ( http://www.gregcovey.com/electric_conversions.htm ) Greg has written a couple reviews (e.g Hangar 9 Corsair, and Lanier Razor 3D for example). He does the glow to electric conversions that are top of the line (in both cost and performance).
Another suggestion I would make to an experienced pilot would be the hobby lobby Bonnie 20 ( http://www.hobby-lobby.com/bonnie.htm http://www.masportaviator.com/ah.asp?CatID=1&ID=39 http://www.masportaviator.com/ah.asp?CatID=2&ID=43 ). Mostly because you can setup a well peforming airframe for under $1000. I am contemplating a Bonnie at the moment. Excluding the Transmitter and reciever, a nice setup with a serious lithium battery (3S2P) is just over $900.

ARF Kit $159
3 HS-81 Servos $54
1 HS-422 Servo $13
Spinner Adapter $18
Props/bolts/etc. $25

AXI 2820/10 $116
JETI Advance 40 $109
3S2P Lithium Battery $175
Motor Mount $25

Triton Charger $130
Astro Flight Whatt-meter $60
Power Supply $25

That includes a new charger and a Astro Flight Whatt-meter (an essential tool I am told).
Good luck.