Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Beltdrive, any negatives?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2002, 03:09 PM
1g1yy
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beltdrive, any negatives?

I need to find out if there are any cons to using beltdrives. Do they hold up well? Are there maintenance issues? Do they absorb more power than gear drives? I'm considering a belt drive for my Aveox 1412/3Y in a sport plane. Any feedback will be appreciated.
Thanks, John
Old 07-19-2002, 03:21 PM
javven

Belt drives have more loss due to friction than direct drive. Belts tend to run smoother, though as the elestic nature of the belt itself absorbs vibration - of course that elastic nature is also costing you power - same reason.

Belts require adjusting, tensioning after flights and some require lubrication / belt dressing application to keep at peak efficiency.

I'd also think belts would have a tougher time getting the same reduction ratio in a similar-sized package as opposed to a gear-driven alternative.
Old 07-31-2002, 11:26 PM
BEC

The biggest "cons" to belt drives are that they are generally a bit bulkier and heavier than gearboxes of the same ratio.

That said I prefer them in most applications: quiet, rugged, tolerant of dirt/water, don't require any messing with timing on brushed or sensored brushless motors (such as your Aveox), easy to change ratios at the field if you want (most belt drives, especially those from Modelair-Tech), and it takes a really good gearbox to be more efficient.

I never heard of needing to dress a belt on a model airplane drive (and I've been using 'em for over 20 years), and they only need retensioning if the the motor mount screws slip.