Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do I have this right about "POWER"?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Do I have this right about "POWER"?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 11:07 AM
wollins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I have this right about "POWER"?

1. Volts x Amps = Watts (POWER)

So if I have a 3 lb plane and my prop and motor combo draws 20 amps and I'm using 9.6 volts, am I correct that this setup for my plane is producing 64 watts per pound of power? (9.6 x 20 divided by 3)

======================

2. Second unrelated question.

Is heat ever an issue for a receiver? I know that overheating can mess up esc's and motors etc, but if a receiver is not ventilated would that be a problem?
Old 09-09-2004, 12:19 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Do I have this right about "POWER"?

Give the man a cigar! That's exactly what Watts/lb entails, although we're a bit more conservative about Volts. It's very rare that a 1.2V nominal cell will hold 1.2 Volts under load. More likely, the voltage will be between 1.0 and 1.1 Volts. To make in-head calculations easier, we just go with 1.0 Volts per cell to make estimations, and live with the pleasant surprise, power-wise if/when the cells hold more than 1.0 Volts under load.

Heat is an issue for the receiver, but rarely is it internally-generated heat. If a receiver gets that hot of its own accord, there are bigger problems. Far more likely, the heat will be from an external source such as an ESC or battery, and you should already be dealing with those issues.