Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Other "large" electric motor choices?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Other "large" electric motor choices?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2002, 12:57 PM
Bobman
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Other "large" electric motor choices?

Hi all,

Maybe a stupid question here, but are there any other electric motor choices for 25-40 sized standard (non-brushless) besides Astro Flight? I'm looking for something to 'play with' in my VK DR1 that I can swing a close to scale sized prop with. I have an old Astro 25/40 beltdrive unit but want to explore my options before plunking down the $$$ for an Astro cobalt.

I have a fair amount of experience w/ smaller (speed 400 & 05) sized ventures so I have a pretty good understanding of current requirements & such. Just looking for something to tinker with.

Thanks!
Bob
Old 08-18-2002, 03:15 PM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Larger Brushed motors

Bobman, Go to Model Aire Tech website. Tom Hunt Sells a power unit using a Dewalt 14 or 18 volt motor and belt drive for large planes. Good Luck. Jollyroger
Old 08-19-2002, 11:27 AM
Steve Lewin

There are plenty of brushless motors that will handle that sort of power and also plenty of brushed motors available in Europe but not easily in America. If you particularly want a brushed motor it may be that Astro, DeWalt and perhaps the Graupner Speed 700 are about all you can easily get.

Steve
Old 08-26-2002, 02:59 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Default Power for VK dr-1

go to bob Benjamin's site and look up his VK Camel. It was a feature article in S&EM a year or so ago. He powered his with an Astro Cobalt 25 and Astro superbox. He had to go to twenty cells because of voltage drop in his set-up. If you don't have any luck contact me off list and I'll mail you a photocopy. You might also look into the new Jeti brushless motors carried by Hobby Lobby. M otor and controller together are about the same as a geared Astro. Best deal on either would be Kirk Massey.
Old 09-03-2002, 11:26 PM
robhoneycutt

Kirk is with New Creations RC.. on the web... do a search for his address..

If you call, he will help with some options on various motors and drives...

Tom Hunt at Model Air-Tech will help too... His Dewalt combo is nice, but pretty heavy. He can modify it with a Mega Brushless for not much more money.. Saves weight.

I don't know your application that well, but my favorite combination is a Jeti 30-3 , 8 cells x 2400, with a 40 amp speed control. The Jeti is a direct drive, and I use a folding cam prop(11-6). It is a great combo where a speed 5--600 is applicable. Long flight times with great performance too..
Old 11-05-2002, 12:00 AM
Jim Finn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a Mega S-11 brushed motor to fly my 72" span 9 1/2 lbs Astro hog. Flies fine, but for the money I would go to a brushless