Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Antigravity model anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 06:18 PM
powerchute50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antigravity model anyone?

Anybody want to give this a try?

http://www.americanantigravity.com/lifter4.html

It actually flys. A different kind of electric model. How many LiPo's would it take to make 17.5 kV?

Its based on Foo fighter technology and Nazi secret weapons files!

Don
------------------
Grumpy old gas guy
Old 02-02-2005, 07:44 PM
smokingcrater

Default RE: Antigravity model anyone?

how many lipos... NONE. this technology requires a MASSIVE electric current provided by the metal bed below the device. They are real and have been around quite a while, but unfortunately aren't really useful for anything yet.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:20 AM
powerchute50

Nope, not these ones. There is no plate under the model. These things are a balsa triangle with about an inch or 2 of aluminum foil on the bottom, and a single string of magnet wire a couple of inches above that. You connect the wire to the HV supply and the aluminum foil to ground. They hiss and spark and rise off the ground.

Some experimenters hook into the HV line of an old computer monitor (suicide, a monitor can be fatal even days after it is unplugged. Those are big capacitors in there). There are much better power supplies available from these dudes:

http://www.amazing1.com/grav.htm

How do they work? One guess is a simple downward wash of wind from the electric discharge, but these things have been tested in a vacuum and work fine without any air. Best guess is ion discharge similar to the ion drive NASA is using on some deep space probes. Still no real explanation, but they do work.

Of course the anti-gravity/conspiracy/aliens crowd jump on this as a government coverup. Lots of books on this. How do these guys get published? My stories are always rejected. Maybe I should claim that I have a new anti-gravity device, works great until the gas tank goes dry.

Don
----------------------
Grumpy old gas guy
Old 02-03-2005, 03:58 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

I have built one of these types of things before. They work, but require MASSIVE amounts of voltage.

Yes, they hover by using polarized ionification of surrounding air. It works the EXACT same way as those $400 Sharper Image Air Purifiers.(which most people dont realize that the money you save by not buying filters, is just diverted to a slightly higher power bill.)

With enough high enough voltage, air will be drawn or pushed away from the metal by polarizing the air. it works like two magnets. If you imagine one magnet as "AIR", and the other magnet as "the spaceship", and push both south poles together, they repel each other.

Its not rocket science, and its certainly no big alien conspiracy, Tesla and Mark Twain were experimenting with this stuff long before Roswell, and the Nazi's. Tesla built a tower with a huge DC amp at the bottom, and was trying to invent a way to distribute power to homes around the nation right through the air, instead of needing power lines. He had a theory that if he pumped enough DC voltage into the atmosphere, you could pick it out of the atmosphere miles away with a "tuned antenna". What he succeeded in doing was trapping himself in a shack below the tower while thousands of gigavolt lightning arcs were snapping the ground all around...retaining him inside the shack for shelter in a almost futuristic electro-jail cell. The racket from all this could be heard hundreds of miles away. Needless to say his "great vision" never occured, and we have powerlines with AC. He even demonstrated this monstrosity at the World's Fair...although it was MUCH smaller. You can see a small example of this by building yourself....you guessed it.....

A Tesla Coil.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:03 PM
bdavison

Oh yeah...Tesla's theory did....sort of work.

If you hold a fluorescent bulb next to a tesla coil...it will "magically" light up. Drawing its power right out of the air.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:56 PM
powerchute50

The problem with the ionized air flow idea is that these gadgets also work in a vacuum. Hard to explain that one. The need 10-30 kV to work, but only draw about a milliamp. You can build a power supply with a stack of resistors and capacitors or use an old computer monitor. Not all that hard to produce that level of HV.

Tesla was one weird dude. Brilliant but weird. At that world's fair he created a floating egg by coating an egg with gold foil and suspending it over an electromagnet. He did this to win a bet. All kinds of things we think are modern started in the 1890's, an incredibly productive time for technological development.

Its just so much more fun to think Nazi's and government conspiracies!

Don
-----------------------
Grumpy old gas guy
Old 02-03-2005, 05:12 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: bdavison

Oh yeah...Tesla's theory did....sort of work.

If you hold a fluorescent bulb next to a tesla coil...it will "magically" light up. Drawing its power right out of the air.

You can do the same thing if you hold the tube near an antenna when the transmitter's operating, if the transmitter has enough power.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:52 PM
bdavison

Bax, I wouldn't recommend that...

If the RF energy is high enough to light a bulb, its probably high enough to produce RF burns...OUCH...BIG OUCH. Like getting cooked from the inside out. Radar will do the same thing.

My dad told me a story a long time ago about how these photographers would come out to his base to take pictures, and they would blip the radar on and off, and set off every single flashbulb the photographer had in his pocket....you can imagine the light show that produced.

As far as the vacuum thing goes. I should have used a different term other than air...what I should have said was moisture.

Ionization works by seperating the individual parts of water. You seperate the hydrogen from the oxygen. When you do this the oxygen atom becomes "polarized". It takes on a negative charge. In a ionizing contraption, you can use the polarization to accelerate the oxygen atom.
This is why those ionizing filter systems smell funny. Your smelling ozone. These types of filters are also used in laser printers to clean the air. Even in a vacuum, there is still moisture. I have a feeling that if those guys on that website, performed their "experiments" in a VERY humid environment, that thing would really take off. Problem is water and electricity...dont mix.

Edit: Oh yeah, I should also mention, when I built mine, it also exhibited that strong ozone smell.b

Basically, in a vacuum, it doesnt need air...it can "make" its own. Im curious if they have ever measured the pressures while the thing was running in a vacuum. I'd bet the pressure changes as the thing creates its own air.

If you have a thorough understanding of physics, I would highly recommend reading this:
http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/physics/pdf/0210/0210126.pdf

I think these guys are REALLY close at explaining this phenomenon. I have a hard time following alot of it, but their theories seem really solid. Unfortunatly, I cant find any more stuff from them.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:09 PM
bdavison

Ive studied alot of Tesla's stuff, I think he was brilliant. Unfortunatly his brillance came at a time in which we did not have the technology we have today. I have no doubt if he was alive today, he could be as productive as Alexander Graham Bell.

He also did experiments with St. Elmo's Fire. To this day no one has been able to reproduce his demonstrations. Tesla and Mark Twain were good friends. Tesla build this contraption which he could stand in, and produce a glowing aura of electric "flames" all around his body as though he were on fire. Mark Twain saw him demonstrate this, and volunteered to try it too. There are many accounts of this, so I believe it actually happened. Unfortunatly, no one has figured out how he did it. There are also mentions that while this contraption was running, it produced a odd odor. I think this odor was ozone. If it was capable of producing ozone, and creating light, it would be one awesome way of producing thrust.

Here is your conspiracy theory...I think Roswell is a test bed for this type of experimentation. It would easily explain the tin foil like material found at the roswell site, the strange "lights" in the sky, and why satellite imaging shows high levels of ozone near the site.