Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Quick charger question(picture)

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Quick charger question(picture)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 07:17 PM
kxpedder7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick charger question(picture)

I just bought a slow-v. I was told that this would work to convert the charger. Where it plugs into the wall, it is a 110AC to 12VDC adapter, and then I am running it to a female cigarette adapter and then pluging the charger into it.

This should work fine right.

Now just the fun part of finding which wire on the female cig adapter is positive and which is neg.

Old 03-10-2005, 07:47 PM
doggscube
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Quick charger question(picture)

Just make sure the charger doesn't draw more current than your adapter provides.

You're better off making a 12V supply out of a PC power supply. Or just charging it in your car, it's not like you have to watch those batteries.

-Jeff
Old 03-11-2005, 10:26 AM
kxpedder7

The wall plug is from a hobbico charger, so I think it should be fine.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:37 PM
U2Steve

Looks like it should work fine. I'd get rid of as much wire as possible/practical between the adapter and the charger. If this is to be a permanent setup, I'd cut off all but a couple of feet of the wire from the adapter (you're not using that barrel plugin this setup anyway) and solder that to the lighter socket. Be sure to insulate EVERYTHING with heat-shrink tubing or electrical tape.

Before you cut, look carefully at the wall adapter. There should be a little iconic picture showing the polarity of the plug itself. It will show tip (the inside of the barrel connector) and ring (outside of the barrel) and which is positive. If you don't have a voltmeter (and I assume not) Then split the wires apart near the connector, cut ONE of the wires, and expose the conductor on the end next to the connector. Hook up a flashlight battery, a flashlight bulb, and some spare wire (or a paper clip) so that the battery, bulb, the exposed wire end, and the outside of the connector form a circuit. If the bulb lights, you know which wire goes to the outside of the connector, and the little diagram on the adapter tells you whether it's positive or negative, and you're done.

I should mention voltmeters at Radio Shack or WalMart are cheap, and if you fly electrics, you ought to have one.

Steve
Old 03-11-2005, 06:31 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

You can try it, but I have some serious doubts about it... that looks like this Hobbico trickle charger, not a 12V DC supply...

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXL354&P=7

If so, this is only a 120mA trickle charger which means it will put out much more than 12V (no load) and have a series resistor to limit the current to 120mA when you hook up a 12V battery to it. If that Slow-V charger is a quick charger, it will be looking to suck several hundred mA. If this is the case, it might not work at all, depending on how your Slow-V charger is constructed...