Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

HITEC FLASH 5X RADIO SYSTEM..

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

HITEC FLASH 5X RADIO SYSTEM..

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 12:05 PM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HITEC FLASH 5X RADIO SYSTEM..

is everyone that has 1 of these setups happy with its performance...tower hobbies has them for $169.99..and $25 off any order over $175...so if i order a few xtra props..comes out to about $150..I think its time I get rid of these hitec focus 3channel a.m radios..and use 1 computer radio for my 3 planes..is $150 about the best price ill find??
Old 03-15-2005, 04:22 PM
lwatson
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: HITEC FLASH 5X RADIO SYSTEM..

The Hitec Flash 5X system is a good introduction to computer systems. You will find the programming a little cryptic however, and it only supports numbers for the airplanes. I bought a used TX only for $75 and later sold it for about the same price.

I personally like the Futaba 7C better. Programming is easier, you get to name the plane. And it has the worlds greatest feature. Copy one plane set up to another. This really saves a lot of messing around. You can get a new TX for $150.

All of the above however does not solve your RX problems. Both of the above are Negative shift TX's so you need a Negative shift RX. I have pretty much standardized my flight packs on Electron 6's with HS-55's.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:27 PM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

so in your opinon the flash 5 isnt real user friendly when ti comes to setting it up??...I wanted to get a complete radio set..with tx/rec/and servos...like to come in around the $150 price point if possible..with a computer setup radio..im only flying 3 seperate planes..
Old 03-15-2005, 06:14 PM
GWR
My Feedback: (31)

I have a Flash 5. It's OK; I don't care for the digital trims, especially on throttle. So I only use it with small electrics.Another thing I don't like; after a trim flight, you have to scroll to a "save" screen to save the trim settings.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:17 PM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

wellthats 2 luke warm opinons about that model tx..so I guess ill keep searching...thanks ..the price of about $150 is right for me..but sounds like the radio itself may not be..
Old 03-15-2005, 06:22 PM
psycho_klown66

The Flash 5X was my first TX. It's a good beginner's TX. If you're looking for an Intermediate, you should also check out the Hitec Optic 6.

OR... if you want to buy one that will last you for a LONG time, you can get the Evo 9. I love this TX, does everything I need and a whole lot of other things that I don't need yet.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:33 PM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

yeah...its tuf,,trying to find 1 that does the things i need without all the xtras i dont..and is easy to operate/program..while coming in around $150..
Old 03-15-2005, 09:02 PM
psycho_klown66

ORIGINAL: MUSIC PUBLISHER

yeah...its tuf,,trying to find 1 that does the things i need without all the xtras i dont..and is easy to operate/program..while coming in around $150..
The best suggestion I received on getting a TX, is to get the best that you can afford.

Don't know if I'll EVER use ALL the function of my Evo 9, then again I started 6 months ago and barely skimmed the surface of all the different types of planes and flying styles that I want to fly... along with heli's.

At least I know that I'm done with buying TXs.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:05 AM
avalon

I had one of the Flash 5s and was very pleased with it. It was my first computer radio and had all I needed for a couple of years. The only reason I don't have it now is that I gave it to my son when I moved. I then got a JR 6 computer radio and wished I had the Flash 5 back. It's a good solid TX for a first up computer radio. I now have an Eclipse 7 but only because it was too difficult to get a Royal Evo 9 at the time.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:20 PM
aeajr

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't think you have told us anything about your requirements other than you want to consolidate onto one radio, so I can't say if it will meet them. Clearly this had tons more capability than your 3 channel AM radios.

There Hitec Flash 5SX users in our club. The users seem to be happy . They are very popular with new flyers due to low cost and a nice mix of capabilities. Another new flyer just purchased one. He is doing well with it.

Budget will tell you the answer to your question. It is a good radio at a low price. It does not compete with the higher priced radios, and does not try to compete with them. Would not be my first choice for full house sailplanes. Would be great for 3-5 channel electric, or glow planes. Good for 3-4 channel sailplanes. Don't think it does Helis.

If you have another $50, take a look at the Futaba 6EXA. If you have another $100 the the Optic 6 would be the way to go, or look at the JR 6102.. Another $$$ the Futaba 7C or the Hitec Eclipse 7 have a lot to offer. And, if you have more $$$$ the Futaba 9C that I have is ........

Get the drift? You get what you pay for. None of them are bad. JR, Hitec, Futaba and Airtronics have very good service.

Lately I have heard some good things about the Polk radios but have not checked them out.

For the price, this is a great little radio IF it meets your requirements. What are your requirements?
Old 03-16-2005, 07:57 PM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

ok,,here we go...price point around $150 for a computer radio/combo..that has at least 4 channels ..is simple to program/operate..dependable..and will have meomory for 3-5 different planes...right now..my planes are t-hakw/sky scooter pro2 and mini piper...
Old 03-16-2005, 07:59 PM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

oh..and eventually i may try a 3d type plane...so it would be nice if it could work that too..i have no need for droppin bombs..or folding landing gears...etc..that require extra channles..just a radio that will have throttle/elevator/rudder/aerilon control abilities
Old 03-16-2005, 10:55 PM
aeajr

ok,,here we go...price point around $150 for a computer radio/combo..that has at least 4 channels ..is simple to program/operate..dependable..and will have meomory for 3-5 different planes...right now..my planes are t-hakw/sky scooter pro2 and mini piper...
What is in a "combo" receiver? servos? receiver battery?

Sounds like you are into small electrics which means big heavy receivers and servos are no good to you.

Flash 5SX Glider package - $180 with micro 555 receiver and 3 hs81 serovs, micro switch, 270 mah reciever battery.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXRT20**&P=7

For a new radio with your size electronics, that is the best priced product I know of. Anyone else know of one? Should be something out there.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:05 PM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

well..actually my planes already have the servos..so really just need the computer tx and matching rec.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:34 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have two of the Flash 5's.
My biggest gripe is you MUST get out of the menus to fly... otherwise the trim keys can't work the trims. All that happens is the programming changes... in flight, this can be "interesting"...
The 2nd gripe is the far-from-obvious programming requirements.
Futaba does it much better with the 6XA and 6XAS.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:39 PM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

so what your saying is that..lets say im in flight..and I notice the trim needs adjusting for whatevwer reason { battery pack was installed at a different angle placement then last time i flew} ..i wont be able to do this in flight??..your not the 1st person that has mentioned that this radio isnt the easist to program..ashame..its right at the $150 price for the whole combo setup..wich is about what I can spend right now..
Old 03-16-2005, 11:49 PM
aeajr

OK, same hitec radio, with w/ receiver and servos - $156 - big servos
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXHBB4**&P=7

Flash 5 alone for $110
http://www.servocity.com/html/5-ch_f...m_systems.html

Much better radio - optic 6 - $130
http://www.servocity.com/html/6-ch_optic_6_systems.html
add 4 channel receiver 1m range - $32
http://www.servocity.com/html/4-ch_hfs-04mg_fm_rx.html

super radio with receiver - $162 + $10 for a crystal

Futaba 6EXA - $89
http://www.brucknerhobbies.com/7-6_channels.htm
Add batt charger $10
Add above receiver - $32 + 10 for crystal

Super pkg for $140 - get 'em while they're hot!

Old 03-16-2005, 11:58 PM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

thankls for all the help..hobbypeople .net has the optic6 tx with spectra module {whatver the heck that is..lol} and 72 mhz rec on a 1 day sale for $169.00..is that a good radio..for the price...the bruckner hobbies package looks good too
Old 03-17-2005, 12:07 AM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

the rec. is an 8 channel and it also comes with charger and battery pack for tx...I only have a few hrs left..to order it on sale..is that price good..and is it a good system,,thats user friendly??...thankss
Old 03-17-2005, 12:27 AM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

well after reading some posts over at r/c groups..it seems there have been some problems with the optic 6..there are sevral posts about it..so thats not good...mike from hitec even posted..saying that hey are working on the problems,,and anyone who owns that system..and has these problems,,will have to send the radio back to the factory..to have it upgraded by their software..
Old 03-17-2005, 05:45 AM
aeajr

There is an obscure problem with a very odd combination of throttle programming. I have read them. Can't imagine how someone would use that combo.

Other than that, the Optic 6 is fine. I would not hesitate to get one. That is an outstanding package.

Spectra lets you select any of the 60 channels so you can change the channel of your radio at the field. If someone is on your channel, change it, then put the appropriate crystal in the receiver and off you go.

Very nice feature. Spectra module costs about $100 by itself.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:05 AM
ekotil

I currently use 2 Flash 5's and will buy another when I fill this new one up. They are easy to program and trouble free.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:25 AM
AgCat1982

Music Publisher, that's not true about the trim. You don't have to be in programing to trim! You can't trim WHILE in programing mode. I don't know what the poster meant about scrolling to save the trim settings. You do not have to SAVE the trim settings. They stay how ever you set them. I have both the Hitec Flash 4 and Flash 5 and have had NO problems with either. They work fine, you just have to decide what you want a transmitter to do and spend the money to get whatever that is. For now, five channels have done what I need. I have flaperons, digital trims, can save 5 plane setups, have elevons, end point adjustments settings, adjust if you want control to be sensitive on not so sensitive and more.

Good luck.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:34 AM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: agcatsbest

Music Publisher, that's not true about the trim. You don't have to be in programing to trim! You can't trim WHILE in programing mode. I don't know what the poster meant about scrolling to save the trim settings. You do not have to SAVE the trim settings. They stay how ever you set them. I have both the Hitec Flash 4 and Flash 5 and have had NO problems with either. They work fine, you just have to decide what you want a transmitter to do and spend the money to get whatever that is. For now, five channels have done what I need. I have flaperons, digital trims, can save 5 plane setups, have elevons, end point adjustments settings, adjust if you want control to be sensitive on not so sensitive and more.

Good luck.
You are describing the Flash 5SX. He may hve been describing the Flash 5, an older model with only two model memories.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:57 AM
AgCat1982

Maybe so, but, I'm talking about one that Music Publisher would be buying now. I don't know about the older one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.