Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Li-Poly over-discharged

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 09:39 PM
zwibelturm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Li-Poly over-discharged

Anyone know how to manage a Thunder Power 2100mAh, 11.1V battery that was accidently over-discharged? I left the ESC switch off but forgot to disconnect the battery. My Triton charger charges it for a few minutes but then beeps and displays :"Battery V. Low". This happens each time I try to charge it. The voltage displayed just before it quits is 7-8Volts. ...or is this battery history!?
Thank you.
John Harper

Old 03-31-2005, 09:45 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Li-Poly over-discharged

sounds like it may need a salt water bath......sorry
Old 04-01-2005, 12:09 AM
jooNorway

I do not always do as the book says... therefore I have done what the manufactors say not to do in these cases: I connect the battery to a standard NiCd-charger at 50 or 100mA charge for 4-5 minutes and then puts it back to my Schulse. This have worked great on my old E-Tec-packs, but I have never tried this on any newer LiPos.
If the alternative is to discard the pack it is worth a try, but as I said: it is not by the book, and of course take all the precautions against fire as is necessary!
Old 04-02-2005, 08:19 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

If you try to revive the pack by jooNorway's method, DEFINITELY watch it like a hawk! The manufacturers distinctly say not to do this because there's a risk of... problems. Do it wrong, and sometimes even if you don't do it wrong, and don't pay attention, and you'll be redecorating the house...

That said, what you want to do is gently gently gently bring the pack up over 3.0 Volts per cell (i.e. 9.0 Volts). The best way to do this in this case is connect them to a 9VDC wall wart, and watch the voltage with a voltmeter. It may take more than 5 minutes.

Be aware that your packs will never be 100% again. Expect some loss of performance and/or capacity, maybe a signifigant loss.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:37 PM
zwibelturm

Thank you. I tried all the sugestions. The final result: on disassembly, one cell is bad. I'm going to re-assemble it as a 2S, 7.4V and use it as a receiver battery (with a voltage regulator) in a glow plane. I guess that's better than throwing away the whole $80 pack. :-)
John