Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

How $much$ to get into electric.

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

How $much$ to get into electric.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2002, 12:43 AM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Eflight

By the way I saw the video and it is awesome. I think we are on the verge of somethin incredible with electrics. I think the batteries are the bottleneck at this time.

One more question:

What do you guys use to wipe all those filthy spent electrons off of your planes?
Old 10-03-2002, 01:35 AM
mumblety-peg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How $much$ to get into electric.

Well, u can skip the wattmeter and do with some resistors in parallel to start. Just us a VOM. But for $50 I thin the wattmeter is a must.

Anyway, I guess the answers have been vague 'casue the question is vague. What exactly are we talking about outfitting. A pattern plane? Fun fly? Pylon?

If u want to try the Bee we could probably find a combo that'd work.

If U are OK with soldering u could try reconfiguring the packs to an 8 or ten cell pack. *If your charger can handle it.*

Then u just need to buy a motor and GB. If, after trying it, you can always sell the motor. But I'm sure the Bee can be made to fly well. What do u want from it? 30 degree climb and consecutive loops from level flight?

Oh, what size are the cells?

BTW, Hobby Lobby has suggested complete packages. I think most of them (the packages) are OK. Not all though. www.hobby-lobby.com

As to the revolution, I think it's just about under way. A new cell chemistry is available. People are talking about 20 min. flights and more. Too expensive for me right now. And I'm not keen on being an "early adopter" of any new technologies. But I can see it now.

"Poor glow flyers, such short flight times. Only 15 minutes on a tank of fuel"
Old 10-03-2002, 02:18 AM
mumblety-peg

Thread topic??? Thread Topic??? Oh yeah, how much to get into eflight...

Here's a package NE sail has on the Accord. 47" low wing aerobatic plan. The package is only one bat pack. So u need one or two more. Probably 9 mins or so of flight time. I'd quantify this as a sport package. Not all out 3d.

U need servos and an RX. Probably something like HS81s. Add a hundred for a charger. I guess the start up is rather expensive. But the cost of glow fuel does add up.

Here's the text from the web page.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
This package includes Axi 2820/10 motor and TMM 40 amp speed control , 8 cell 1700 CP battery pack, Prop, adapter, and connectors. $229.95 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Wow, the price on the plane just sunk in. Looks like a good deal. Airfram, motor, ESC and batt. Sigh.... one more thing to add to my wish list. Like I need another plane.
Old 10-03-2002, 03:22 AM
049flyer

Default Eflight with the Bee

Here is the Bee set up since you guys are kind enough to help me with it. I have already sold my Astro Flight 110 charger so I'll have to buy another.

Been thinking about the MRC superbrain charger as a replacement. $47.00 at Tower. Anyone have any thoughts?

Anyway the Bee has a 14 turn double wound motor rated for 6 cells and is tunable. Got from Tower I think it was called a "speed secret". It's in Ecalc's database as I recall. I started with 6 cells but soon changed to 7. I avoided going to 8 cells for two reasons. First the motor was getting pretty hot already and since it is a"6 cell" motor I thought 8 would be too much voltage. Also I have a Master Airscrew 2.5 to 1 gearbox. I ran the numbers through Ecalc and I used the Whattmeter (also sold) and determined that I would be over stressing the Gearbox using 8 cells (acording to the gearbox specs). Oh, and I am using 1500 MA cells sub C I think and have the Castle Creations High Freq Griffin ESC, 50 amp cap, I think. Mini servos and a Hitec 555 to complete the package. Tried several props included Electric specific, best seemed to be a 10 x 5 TF wood as I recall.

Flight performance was pretty good for about 2 minutes would ROG and maybe 1 touch and go after that about all I could do was climb slowly and wait for the BEC to cut in and I would have a glide of about a minute.

Needless to say - Not what I'm used to.

Total flight time about 5 minutes.

Thanks for your help!
Old 10-03-2002, 09:32 AM
Wright Flyer

2fast,

Ever thought that maybe you started out with the wrong e-flight plane? I think most people would start with something like a GWS Tiger Moth which with some Qualcomm lithium batteries will fly for about half an hour doing a few loops along the way. Sure it isn't a hot aerobat but it's a good beginner plane, flies well and is very cheap. If you get either the GWS flight pack (includes servos, ESC, Rx and battery for about $90) or maybe get something like the Hitec Focus 3 with lightweight Rx and a couple of HS-55 servos (also about $90) then buy the other bits (ESC, battery) you can get flying with a great plane for a pretty reasonable entry level price.

Cliff
Old 10-03-2002, 10:42 AM
mpj220

No longer support RCU
Old 10-03-2002, 11:27 AM
mumblety-peg

Wright Flyer- 2Fast knows how to fly already

mpj220- Eeeppp, I knew it seemed to good to be true.

2fast- The superbarin may be OK. As long as u stick to 8 cells. I think the Bee could be made to fly with 8 cells. I dunno for sure this early. Are u planning to use the car cells?

Mum
Old 10-03-2002, 11:55 AM
049flyer

To Wright Flyer:

I built the Lazy bee about 2 1/2 years ago before allof the small park flyer ARF stuff came out. Besides I have never "built" an ARF and I'n not about to start. Been gluin balsa for 35 years!

I'm also not too interested in the really small stuff, I live in Texas you know. The wind blows ALL the time and I'm afraid I won't be around on the only day of the year it doesn't!

But thanks for the input.

To mumblety-peg:

I don't know about the batteries, I'm a little Eflight gun shy now. I'll have to buy a charger and perhaps a motor and some batteries too. Might take me a while to work all of that into the modeling budget.

I'm currently looking for a Norvel .074 for an old TF Schoolmaster I am finishing with silkspan and dope. Plus I just sent off my old Kraft single stick to get updated. Hate the plastic radios they make these days. Wish I could find a good computer radio in an aluminum case!
Old 10-03-2002, 01:06 PM
mpj220

No longer support RCU
Old 10-03-2002, 03:01 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default Re: Cost of Eflight

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 2fast
Sure you CAN get started for not much cash if you stick to low dollar stuff or KNOWN proven combinations of equipement i.e. zagi. But is this a fair answer for the original poster of the thread?

Yes. You weren't designing your own airplanes when you started flying glow, were you? You started out with proven combinations, i.e. a .40 trainer, then maybe a Tiger 2 or Four Star Forty. In fact, every glow plane out there is a "proven combination." Somebody somewhere has flown a plane of similar size and weight before.

I believe every one of you guys has brushless or cobalt motors and the reason for that I think is fbetter performance. Most if not all of you have Whattmeters and sophiticated chargers right?

Wrong. Up until about a month ago, I had neither. I still don't have a Whattmeter (Mom, if you're reading, Christmas is coming ). Flew nothing but cheap can motors, and had a blast. My one and only brushless has yet to see the air, and I'm kind of soured on cobalts, because brushless is only slightly more expensive.

To a new Electric guy. I would suggest a good cobalt motor as some of you have suggested, and a speed control of ample capacity and three battery packs as mentioned by some one else. But to be able to really learn what works and what doesn't the new guy will also need a computer program right? How about a Whattmeter?

No. None of that is necessary. Ever wonder why the Whattmeter is the only tool of its kind? If they were so necessary, every manufacturer out there would be producing something similar. You can see far if you stand on the shoulders of giants. Imitation is the best form of flattery. Can you see where I'm going with my barrage of lame cliches? See what other people have already done, and use that experience to your advantage.

Electrics are still in their infancy. People are still figuring out what works and what doesn't. Pretty soon, we will be able to just pick a power setup for an electric like we pick a glow engine.

So I put it to the Eflight experts How much $$$ for a guy new to electrics to have a satisfactory experience with Electrics. And remember I think the original poster was flying other IC aircraft so the performance expectations will be high (I assume).

Zagi 400X: ~$150
Two HS81 servos: ~$40, but only if you don't have any servos laying around. Glow fliers that have been in it for a while have servos just lying around.
Hitec CG340 Charger: ~$40, but only if you don't already have a field charger for your radio. If you're serious about glow flying, you have a field charger.

I'll bet most of you Eflight experts have had experiences similar to mine with the Bee when you first started out. But now you have the stuff that works.

Yeah, and it's the same stuff you used on your Bee.

By the way. All of you guys are the coolest for putting up with me. It's been fun, and I'm not even the guy that started this thread!

You're right, this has been fun! Oh crap, now we're agreeing on something! Hope this isn't an indication of things to come...

I'll be watching for your answer. Maybe I'll try it again, the Bee is still hanging from the ceiling! But I'm frugal so help me out OK.
Old 10-03-2002, 04:52 PM
mumblety-peg

2fast-

U may be able to get the Bee flying with just a new gear box and charger. U could try making a 10 cell pack and using 3:1 or better... a 4:1 gear box. With a higher ratio u can use a bigger prop. And more cells means more power per Amp. p=v*i. Lower current means less resistive (heat) loss.

Still a bit of expense involved for the charger. How do u charge flight packs?

You could just slap a glow engine on it
>

Is it the the Aileron wing version? I was thinking of building a Bee my self. Did u like that first 120 seconds of flight? Is it worth the build time?

Oh, I can't find that motor in ecalc. It may have been deleted though. What was the brand?

I can ID with the building Q problem. I've got at least 3 planned for the winter. I'm thinkin'

The electric crackle

Maybe an E3D

A glow fun fly for sure

A Diamond dust or something else fast

Fix my hotliner

Maybe a pattern like ship

Hmmmm.... maybe I should practive my arithmetic this winter.

Wait.... due to a mix up on an ebay Auction Aveox owes me two kits. I'm gonna need a longer winter.

It's been fun. Good luck with the Norvel. I like small planes my self. If I could get that +)(*#$@*&%@98 OS 15 in my Pitts Bipe to run right I'd love to fly the plane again. Seems like after I've had trouble with something like that it takes me forever to get back to it.
Old 10-04-2002, 02:11 AM
Glennie

Default How much to get into electrics?

This is a GREAT thread, guys, with lots of info and good humor from all participants.
I am TRYING to fly in the electric domain, and started with a Mini-Max at $35 (I hardly EVER buy new; retired on SS, ya' know?) but never got it together; the wing mount/saddle seemed too danged flimsy to stand up to the rubber band hold-ons. I got a Zagi kit at a fair price with battery and ESC, and I DID have a few decent flights with it (lots of "dangerous" landings) Then I discovered I had first servo problems (those I HAD bought new) and next receiver problems (second hand again) The radio is currently back for service, so I'm out of the sky.
Another second-hand electric I tried was the Hobbico Aero-Cruiser, and THAT I NEVER got up in the air. It seemed 'way too heavy for the motor prop combo (stock outfit) and all I could ever get it to do was fall off on one wing and whap into the ground after about a 10 ft. flight. I should hasten to say I am a total beginner, even at my ancient age, and have had most of my "flights" on RealFlight.
I know there are some who NEVER start out with someone else's gear, and my track record has not been great; still I'm SURE there are some good deals out there, and thanks to Mike in St. Pete, I've got a neat Tipsy coming my way soon. My point here, over all, is that one need not pop for the newest and coolest high-zoot powered nose-picker devices!
By the way, one of the finest flying E-planes I've seen take to the sky is the Miss 2; a BEAUTIFUL built up ARF at $109, takes only an inexpensive can motor and basic battery, etc. I saw it fly in December of last year at Muncie in a strong wind and snow flurries; FANTASTIC, and thanks, Reggie!
On the fuel side of the issue, I got a "Piece of Cake" or a clone of such in a trade last spring; a built-up balsa kit with 98'' or maybe 104'' span but a stubborn and maybe worn out Fox 19.
Never got the motor to run more than a few seconds, so tried another used 19 with an unknown history but the promise of returnability, and THAT wouldn't run for me, either.
I have recently gotten an LA Blue 25 at $56 to try; a beautiful motor but as yet have only gotten IT to run a few seconds at a time (new tank and lines, etc), also.
While trying to start it the other day, (Hobbico Electric starter) I whacked off the whole front bulkhead/fire wall, proving, I guess, that NOTHING is simple. If I weren't quite so ancient, it wouldn't be so discouraging!
My most successful efforts have been with a Megatech Merlin, and I am WAY ahead of the fuel plane personal record so far with my combined electric efforts,especially with the Merlin
I should also mention , and I don't want to tell the whole sorry story, of my experience with the Sky Scooter! I bought two (three really) at the close-out price and just had a bunch of trouble finding enough moxie in the system to make the little pup FLY. We are still sorting out the story, but Hitech and Mike have been very helpful; I understand MORE help is on the way soon in the form of a new folder prop. Before the motor quit, the one we got for the grandboys actually acted as if IT had power enough to climb out a fly a little. Under two flights total!
So far, three of the the E-planes have actually FLOWN for me, and one fueler , not; it looks like a 3 to zip contest, but all results are not in as of this moment.
I have spent more in my struggles in the E-plane than with the fuel powered, but the E-planes actually did FLY (more or less! ) :- )
Old 10-04-2002, 02:57 AM
049flyer

Default Learnin to Fly

Hey Glennie:

I guess you found out how hard it can be on equipment and ego to "go it alone". Any chance you can get a little help from a fellow modeler? Any clubs around where you live?

I'll bet with just a little help you could get those engines runing fine and the airplanes up where they belong! Most of us could tell you any of a thousand things to try or check but you really need someone to give you a hand.

If you don't have a club nearby it migh be worth a drive of an hour or two to find a club that could help you at least get started. Unfortunatley the learning curve on this hobby is pretty steep.

I started out flying control line at an early age and that introduced me to engines, building and trimming. Without that beginning I would have had the same trouble as you! After control line I flew a little .049 2 channel job. Man can those little planes take a beating!

Don't give up cause it's the best hobby there is! So many things to try and so many different aspects of the hobby. Get a little help and hang in there.

P.S. If you aren't able to get any help, just keep asking questions around here and you'll get plenty of answers!

Let us know how you are doin, OK?
Old 10-04-2002, 03:22 AM
Glennie

Thanks lots for your time and trouble to reply! We DO have a very loosely-knit group of fuel/quarter-scale guys only a few miles away from me (like four miles! They fly at the local airport on off-days) but they seem to be a bit superior acting and smug about the smaller and E-powered planes, and I kinda' doubt most of them would want me to put up an electric on their flying nights. I get the impression they could come up with several reasons why * MY * plane would not fly and should not be launched; perhaps that isn't true for all, but at least some of them.
There IS another group only a few miles further away from me, and I know some of THOSE guys would be and have been helpful. For example, I bought a Sig Kougar in Indy a year or so ago with an Enya 40, four channel FM radio and batteries fully charged for a song, and one of the fellows in the second group burned some holes in the sky for sure with THAT unit!
I know these guys would help me, and eventually I'm going to get the BOT and the LA 25 over there for some help; just hate for someone to see the motor mount bulkhead all boogered up!
Old 09-13-2003, 11:10 PM
tunnelvishon

Default RE: How $much$ to get into electric.

I just started electrics last year. Got an Ascent electric glider ($65). Motor was included, 400 can. 2 battery packs (nicad) $45. 2 micro servos ($60). I spent $ on a Triton charger, works great but lesser $ would have worked here also. The TX and RX I already had but I think you see the point here. I use a car booster battery for charging and it doubles as insurance for the car. You don't have to part with 4-5 hundred bucks to get brushless motors and hot set ups to have great fun. I get 15 min flights with limited motor run and the plane was good enough for me too learn on.