Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Radio For Beginner

Old 01-03-2002, 06:53 PM
Patrick-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio For Beginner

Hi Everyone,
I am new here. I recently got the RC flying bug when my brother got a Megatech Merlin electric plane for christmas. Now I want one that actually works (The Merlin is pretty bad). I want to stay electric so I can fly in the schoolyard near me. The Graupner Tipsy looks like a good bet. I think it has gotten pretty good reviews around here. My question is this: Should I buy the suggested radio at Hobby Lobby (HTR971K) or get a better radio that I could use on future planes? I am already going to have two radios, and I am not looking forward to having to buy another one when I decide I want ailerons. Would you recommend buying a four or six channel radio now? I surely don't want to spend more than $200-250 on it.

Thanks,
Patrick
Old 01-03-2002, 09:54 PM
Cadet

Your best bet may be a Hitec Flash 5x. This radio is the biggest bang for the buck IMHO.
Cheers,
Grant
Old 01-04-2002, 03:01 AM
CptCrunch

Default Radio for Beginner

Patrick,

I just bought the HiTec Flash 5X as my first radio. It appears to be well built, and I can even understand the manual!

I spent about $185 at Hobby Lobby. Although it was probably more radio than I currently need, the price was pretty darn reasonable when compared to other radios similarly equipped.

Tom Savoie
Old 01-18-2002, 05:36 PM
ec121k

Default Radio

Tom,

You can never have too much radio but you certainly can have too little. You did well to get what you did. You will need a more complex one in the future but that point is farther away that it would have been had you got a non-computer set.

Good luck,
Tony
Old 01-30-2002, 06:26 AM
dryflyer

I have had one of Futaba's T6XA 6 channel radio for almost three years now. Flawless performance. The new version has six model memory(mine only has three) I believe it is in the 180.00 range. Has all the mixing features a sport pilot needs. It to, is easy to program.
Randy
Old 01-30-2002, 10:14 AM
ec121k

Default Systems

You want at least 6 channels. 7 is better. The reason is that there will soon be a time that you will want two servos for ailerons and that in itself will take up another channel.

I also have a T6xas. My first computer radio. It does everything I want it to do now but I am already pushing it to the limits. (Also, don't look inside one. I'm sorry I bought mine.)
Old 01-30-2002, 03:01 PM
dryflyer

OK, I'll bite... What was inside your TX?
Old 01-30-2002, 03:36 PM
CaptKAOS
My Feedback: (7)

THEM!!!

LOL
Old 01-30-2002, 06:47 PM
Rod
My Feedback: (1)

I have had a Futaba 6XA for 3 years now and have been very satisfied with it with one exception, it does not have exponential throws. I also have 2 - Hitec Flash 5X radios that I purchased after using the Futaba for a year. The Flash 5X does have exponential and I am very satisfied with this feature and the performance of this radio. I also like the better selection of small receivers and servos that Hitec offers. Futaba forces you to purchase their standard set with regular sized servos and receiver. In 3 years I still have the original servos that I got with the Futaba package -- I have never used them. Hitec on the other hand offers a glider package that includes their HS-81 servos and their 555 receiver.I believe that both Futaba and Hitec perform very well and will meet your needs, the Hitec costs less and has more small size options for receivers and servos.
Old 01-30-2002, 10:21 PM
ec121k

Default Inside

Just pretty poor quality construction but maybe I'm being too critical. If I had to do it again I think I'd go with a JR 652 or the new 738, a Multiplex or the new Eclipse.

On the 6sax I have expo and that's a plus. I bought the transmitter only and added an FMA Direct Magnum receiver and servos. Better than that ancient "Boat Anchor" that Futaba is trying to pass off as a receiver. (127DF). I have one and it is big and "clunky" even by standards of 5 years ago.

That FMA Magnum is .5 oz and can even be used in indoor flyers yet is a dual conversion "Grown Up" receiver. Auto adjusts to either positive or negative shift. Extremely narrow band pass too.