Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Electrics connected to the rudder port?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Electrics connected to the rudder port?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 05:41 PM
ljhmc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrics connected to the rudder port?

I think this MIGHT be a new one! I have just started working with electrics (only in the buliding stage) I have a glow engin to power the platform I plan to use two, count em, two electric ducted fans to help turn. They will be connected to the port which the rudder servo would be connected to. I am using a Futaba 9C transmitter. My question is as follows: Can I connected the ducted fans so they are off and will only come on when the rudder stick is pushed in the propper direction, ie the lefe fan will come on when I want to go right and the right fan will come on when I want to go left.

The platform is the USS Starship Enterprise. The fans are located in the nacells. I want them to stay off and come on only when I want to turn. Not sure if I will ever want them running at the same time as the main power supply, but that's another engineering thought.

Thanks,

Lawrence J Hasslinger
Omaha, Nebraska

Here is a picture of what I have so far
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84415.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	283199   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84591.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	283200   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ua70263.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	283201  
Old 06-10-2005, 06:36 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Electrics connected to the rudder port?

I think it could be done using the mixing functionality of the Futaba 9C.

You wouldn't plug the ESCs into the rudder port, though. You'd plug them into other channels, say, 7 and 8, then use two programmable mixes to mix them to the rudder.

For a left turn, you'd set up a mix so that the motor in the right nacelle goes from off to full throttle (-100% to +100%) as you move the stick to the left.
For a right turn, you'd set up another mix so that the motor in the left nacelle goes from off to full throttle (-100% to +100%) as you move the stick to the right.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:46 PM
ljhmc

Default RE: Electrics connected to the rudder port?

Now that's a thought. I'll give it a try tommorow. Thank you so much for the idea's. I will only be using 4 servos with this. Engine, right and left ailron, and nose wheel. Of course there will be the two Ducted fans.

Thanks again.

Lawrence J Hasslinger