Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

why is my battery getting hot?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

why is my battery getting hot?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 10:32 PM
Dr.Watson
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why is my battery getting hot?

well, i got my GWS BN-2 going today. it was too foggy to fly so i decided to run a battery pack to test thrust and whatnot. i have a GWS ICS-480 15A ESC running the two 300H motors swinging 5040 props. i am also running 3 servos. i am only seeing about 3 minutes of 3/4 throttle. also i smelled something burning after the LVC kicked in and took the battery pack out. the shrink wrap is melted off. not just a little melted, i mean melted off of half of the battery. i could hardly hold the battery. i thought it was because of the battery. it is a 9.6V 750mAh GWS Ni-MH. i also have a 8.4V battery of the same chemistry and size. i tried the 8.4V battery and it still got pretty warm after about 1 minute of run time. why is this happening? am i pulling too many amps? in the manual all it recommends is a ICS-100 or a ICS-300 ESC. thanks for any and all help!
Old 12-25-2005, 01:17 AM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: why is my battery getting hot?

Two 300 motors on 750 MAH is probably going to toast your batteries. There's quite a bit of amperage pull in them. I'd suggest a higher capacity battery that will handle the higher amperage load. Either a lithium battery or stick with nimhs in the 1500+ range.
Old 12-25-2005, 03:13 AM
jooNorway

Agree with credence... Way to much load, or in other words; too lazy batteries.
Quality-batteries like KAN1050 could deliver appr 18 amperes, and in my world GWS do not deliver quality... If you can get (and afford) buy GP1100 which are xtreme good, could give you 25 amp. Estimate your motors eats 10-13 amp.
Do not run any el-setups static for more than a few seconds anyway!
Old 12-25-2005, 03:28 AM
Dr.Watson
My Feedback: (10)

what about the electrifly 7 cell 1100mah battery packs? for $18, they look pretty good.