Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Uncommanded roll

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 12:10 PM
MDixon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uncommanded roll

Can anyone offer any explanations on what would cause my electric RC airplane to experience an uncommanded hard left bank? I have changed receivers (Futabe R114F) but with no luck. I am flying at a soccer field with no other RC traffic. I'm pretty sure it's not a range problem, battery level or transmitter battery level. All were fully charged. The last event happened about 15 feet from me on landing when it rolled in 3 feet from the ground. There were also very brief incidences of motor speed changes. Setup: Blackhorse models E300-S- EP, Futaba s3110 servos, R114F recevier, 6EXAS tranmitter, Hacker A30-28S motor, Hacker 20a ESC,TP 2100 3c battery. Thanks to all.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:59 AM
mike tully

Default RE: Uncommanded roll

Prop torque will flip you over to the left when there is not enough airspeed for the wings to support the plane. Sounds like a classic stall. Keep some power on during landing approach and make sure you don't let the nose get high. Check your center of gravity and make sure that it is at or slightly forward of the recommended point.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:52 AM
Barry2

It could also be something like a defective servo or something on your airplane causing radio interferance, like an unprotected motor, receiver or antenna located close to other equipment, etc.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:52 PM
gniessen
My Feedback: (5)

I second Mike's evaluation regarding the tip stall. It is unfortunately a classic problem encountered by new pilots. Without realizing it the speed gets a bit low and then add a little correcting rudder or elevator and "Wham" it rolls. Remember that if you need to stretch the landing approach to get to the runway; use the throttle, not the elevator.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:09 AM
MDixon

Thanks for the info. I am pretty sure the airplane didn't stall because unfortunately I've gotten similar hits at full speed while cruising around the field. On landing it was still had plenty of airspeed as I wasn't really into the landing flair yet. Also, the airplane was close enough that I heard the servo (or servos) actuate when it rolled in. Thanks again and if you have anything else to offer I'd really appreciate it. Also, the prop was stopped so I know it wasn't a torque roll.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:12 AM
mike tully

Make sure the battery leads don't go anywhere near the receiver or antenna. Make sure the antenna is not close to or parallel to any servo wires or metal pushrods. Where is the antenna? Is it hanging out the back, possible coiled on a bobbin? Are you using one of the micro antennas? If so, then placement and orientation are critical. Make sure that your transmitter antenna is not pointed directly at the plane, as that put the plane in the cone of least radiation.

Have someone help you with range testing. Have them hold the plane, making sure to steer clear of the prop. Fully retract the transmitter antenna and provide control inputs as you walk away from the plane. Have your assistant orient the plane in different postions as you walk away. Test at different distances both with the motor stopped and at full throttle. You should be able to get 40 to 60 paces from the plane with a clear signal.